• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

you dont have to cry about it , most of the guns in this game are subsonic anyway , so the whoosh is just fine ......

Are you on crack? All the rifle bullets are moving at supersonic speed, most, if not all, of the SMG, too.

SMG/pistol velocities (measured at the muzzle): 7.62x25 Tokarev; 1400 FPS +. 9mm is comparable.

Rifles are as follows: 7.62x54R is around 2500-2700 FPS (memorized). 8mm Mauser is a tad higher, around 2800-2900 FPS (memory again, feel free to double-check). The speed of sound is about 1100 FPS (Googled). Hell, even Kurspatrone out of the StG is doing around 2000 FPS.

Subsonic?

Even my .22 is supersonic, unless I load it with low-power subsonics.

Upvote 0
We shot Ramm's SVT-40 indoors recently, even with ear protection and standing a meter behind him, it was like a friggin earth quake. Loudest gun EVER. Mac 90, MN Sniper, Mauser 98k were loud as well, but a joke compared to the SVT-40.

One thing i never want to see in a room next to me is some guy with a SVT-40.

First time in my live i actually got motion blur from watching a guy shooting a gun.
Hakim's even louder.

Upvote 0
This is something you guys would really benefit from having in RO, or your future projects. A guy made a sound mod for BF2, inspired by my "Best of Tactical Gaming" article, that introduces pretty realistic supersonic bullet cracks for passing rounds. It's far above and beyond the pathetic "whoosh" noise you get in most games.

You can find a page about it here, with videos.

I must agree.
Myself i work alot with rifles. and ive "observed" this crack sound myself. and i would really like to see it added to the game :D Realism FTW,,
But the clip from RO is not right. the sound is too "dump" but the one from PRM is perfect :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We shot Ramm's SVT-40 indoors recently, even with ear protection and standing a meter behind him, it was like a friggin earth quake. Loudest gun EVER. Mac 90, MN Sniper, Mauser 98k were loud as well, but a joke compared to the SVT-40.

One thing i never want to see in a room next to me is some guy with a SVT-40.

First time in my live i actually got motion blur from watching a guy shooting a gun.

Its actually a joke compared to my m14! My m14 has a muzzlebreak and shoots about the same caliber round! :)

Upvote 0