• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-LeningradStreets *WIP*

Status
Not open for further replies.
if this is in the night, lighted by fires i have one slight suggestion:rolleyes:
this other custom map, partisan forest, is completely dark, with here and there campfires, looks great, no problems. but somehow i feel the fires light stuff up to far away, and i get the feeling im exposed meters away from the fire, wherei should be in total darkness, so i cant hide as well.
even if there is a huge box like thing between me and the fire, where i should be in the shadows, it lights me up:eek:
please dont make this happen on this map (dont know if its the mapper's fault or just the engine, though )

Upvote 0
It's all about the Light Radius variable. On Partisan Forest, I have it greatly reduced so that if you get about 30 feet away you should be pretty much in total darkness. For instance, on the Western Outpost, once you get to the trees directly north of the outpost (across the small path that runs from the outpost) you should be totally dark.

One problem is that when you have the light inside of a static mesh, the SM doesn't block light as effectively as BSP does. So, you may be standing behind one of the little huts on the opposite side of the doorway, but the light is somehow hitting you through solid wood. It may also be that I inadverdently left some holes between the logs.

The being said, Partisan's lighting is much better than it used to be. In the older map versions, I still had a sunlight actor. Even though the trees above effectively blocked most light, the sunlight actor ignored the shadowing and lit all the players up evenly. The result was you had black terrain and trees, with a bunch of smurfs running around in it. It looked horrible. Also, I've taken down the radius of every single light source on the map so it's much easier to hide now. Heck, the other night I was playing b5 on a server and everyone was running right past me.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
Remember to study a lots of old pictures from Leningrad during the siege!

Also PLEASE - Consider making it larger! Layout you posted shows that its a very small piperun. Tank toward tank, straight lines, no possibility of flanking - maps with layout like this will become very dull in very short time. :/

Hopefully you have intended to make all visible buildings accesible.

Hear! Hear!

As much as I appreciate the community and their efforts, the last thing we want are a bunch of DoD:S maps. I've already played quite a few floating around on the servers.

At the very least, be sure to have plenty of pathways though those buildings.

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
Looking nice.. I love the detail things you put in there that you don't often see in alot of urban maps (well.. mod-era ones anyhow).. specifically the tram ways and overhead wires..)..

I guess this is what happens when you map constantly 24x7x365 :)

I don't see how any mapper can, in all conscience, omit those kind of things. If detail that puts the player in the 'realism zone' costs too much in terms of fps, then the map should get smaller, not less detailed (imho).

Upvote 0
How is this coming along?

The map is almost done, there's just a few critical problems I'm having. First problem is my Soviet Spawns, I can't figure out why they don't work when my German spawns and Objectives work perfectly. The only other things left to do are add moving minefields and random artillery but I need to get the Soviet spawns figured out first. Oh, and I have to get Welts KV1s, PzIII, and PzIVF1 snow skins working. If I can get these done I can release Beta 1 very soon.

Back to pulling my hair out. :(

Upvote 0
Mate, I have to say I would rather wait six months to see a map like this come out than seeing a new RO-derivative_POS.rom with a 'boxing-glove-light touch' on the texture front coming out every month. I especialy love the texture for the sign.

BTW - is that a tram or a trolleybus there slewed across the road? It looks like a trolley but I'm hoping tram as it will save me some work/cadging for a mesh for my Naberezhnaya map when I start on it.

p.s. if it is a trolley, and it is beginning to look like it is, should the power transmitting thingies (dunno what they're called) not be a tad shorter? Usually they are the right length so that when you pull them down with ropes they line up roughly with the back of the bus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most impressive work, cant wait to see this released...

I can't wait either.

If you want we can get your skins ingame later today (if you havent already)

Edit: Whats the red thing on the last pic?
That would be awesome worluk, I'll try to catch you on IRC then. :cool:

The red thing is a piece of rubble from the outer wall of the Belosselsky-Belozersky Palace. On my monitor is appears to be almost pitch black in the screenshot and ingame. I think I need to do some fiddling with my monitor or something because often people will post screenshots that appear almost completely black to me but for them it's easily viewable. I dunno I'll have to look into it I guess. Anyways here's a picture of the Palace: http://www.nevsky-prospekt.com/images/np41r.jpg

EDIT:
Mate, I have to say I would rather wait six months to see a map like this come out than seeing a new RO-derivative_POS.rom with a 'boxing-glove-light touch' on the texture front coming out every month. I especialy love the texture for the sign.

BTW - is that a tram or a trolleybus there slewed across the road? It looks like a trolley but I'm hoping tram as it will save me some work/cadging for a mesh for my Naberezhnaya map when I start on it.

The thing is I've already been working on this map since before Ostfront was released so I'm getting anxious to at least get a Beta 1 out the door. The trolleybus in the screenshot is well... a trolleybus, sorry. WickedPenguin did make a tram car which I was going to use for this map but it would have meant a lot of extra work to reskin it and get it into the game. It would also bloat the filesize of my map even more and in the end I have more than enough cover in the streets I think without it.

Upvote 0
WOW, those screenies look incredible. I can't wait to try this map out also.

Also, while we all like a great looking map as stated by *7GA* Nestor Makhno, I would hate to wait six months for it. I could stand to put up with a little bad lighting and textures to play a Beta 1 myself :D

Me2!!! The screenshots are tantalizing to no end. It will definitely go into our rotation. Looking very good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.