• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-TulaOutskirts_b5 New public beta.

spraduke

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
wiltshire
www.spraduke.co.uk
BETA 5 (latest is beta 6)

Ok so its time for the second wide scale public release. Ive been playtesting b3 and b4 on the fullmj server with a relative level of success.

Download the uncompressed and compressed versions here.http://www.spraduke.co.uk/files/RO-TulaOutskirts_b5.rar

Changelog from b4->b5

Removed the first axis spawn to improve performance
Fixed some floating meshes
Added location volumes
fixed a small bug in objective manager
Added a bit of cover to some foxholes
fixed some terrain issues

Changelog from b3->b4

Replaced all the original trees with a lower poly equivalent to increase fps
Added Bot pathing
Added additional random arty for when the first 4 objectives are capped
fixed objective manager
reduced bloom amount

Changelog from b2->b3
Added ambient noise
Added fence line to provide extra axis cover
reduced level brightness and changed sky box

Below are some screens
Tulaout1.jpg

Tulaout2.jpg

Tulaout3.jpg

Tulaout4.jpg

Tulaout5.jpg

Tulaout6.jpg

ANY feedback is appreciated aslong as its constructive and youve played the map for more than 30seconds ;)

Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:
Cool dude. Played the map yesterday on the Iron Crescendo server good map, but it seems impossible for the germans. Maybe it is with a good degree of mg/sniper coordination, but I found myself ranking up huge amounts of rifle kills. Although the russians have lower reinforcments the germans have a very hard time taking all three bunkers. However, props for making a map where an mg is actually quite useful. I stole an mg-34 and got about 13 kills before I died :D

I think you should reduce the number of bunkers the germans need to capture, maybe only 2. Or keep the current amount of bunkers and increase the time limit. Something, cause I felt kinda bad mowing them down so badly :p

Also I got this weird thing where my fps would drop a lot and then recover if I faced a different direction, can't really describe it as anything other than that. A few other people got the same bug.

Upvote 0
Just a comment on the lighting/shadows. If your happy with the way it is you can ignore the rest:

The shadows still seem pretty strong for midday on snow. I look at the first pic and the ground makes me think early morning or evening while the sky makes me think midday. I know you've had problems with the lighting but would changing the skybox texture to darker morning or evening scene still work with your vision for this map? You would probably also have to change a few lights to a light blue or light pink/orange hue. Just an idea.

Upvote 0
I played german sniper yesterday and racked up a mammoth total (bout 70?) which were all kills! I ran out of ammo several times and rushed with the pistol hoping to get shot immediatly :rolleyes:

The map creates very realistic and exciting combat, but always seemed to end in stalemate... (which doesnt bother me really as I had a total blast playing it so well done!!)

Maybe add (very) limited arty or something.

Upvote 0
played it yesterday on the IC server as a Gerry rifleman. With the uber-intense lighting, it was nigh impossible to hit the Russians in the bunkers. The most you could do was tell the MG which bunker. They way I did it was I ran up and hid right in front of the bunker and just popped up and caught the russians in the bunker off guard.

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
Well we're going to play Tula in a full server for about 4 hours against a worthy oppenent. So we'll see how plausible a german victory is. Yeah it's kinda weird to post this when I asked for some changes, but this should be real conclusive proof.

Russians, amazingly, lost. Even when Germans were down a few players.

Some suggestions:

-1 German Sniper. We had two. I don't know if it was the map or the IC mod.
-'First' Line of Defense should be the Second Line -- what are the bunkers?
-Spawn protection for the Germans in the Line of Defense

What's the deal with the frontline? One, maybe two Russians spawn there before it ends up capped.

Upvote 0
aint no allied rape fest for sure ..i think that germans get the 2 sniper slots when teams are even or allies outnumber you hobo old freind.. btw good game yesterday m8 we would have won if Dheepan had a mic and could have led the allies instead of me, this is an excellent map for both sides but you should maybe think of giving the allies a sniper. frontline is a waste of space as it is random who spawns there so you cannot plan what weapon will go there, so is really a lost cause for the allies. the main drawback is when the allies are defending front lines and headquarters the axis easily exit camp.at sandbags in front of allies spawn and on the hill at the east of hq wiping out the reinforcements especially if the axis use a mg and sniper it is a rapefest. the spawn and exit should be shielded more from axis fre. also there are a few bugs at the bunkers the allies get stuck at certain points having to be killed by their own men .also hq there should not be so much clutter in there it is just a maze in that darkness. apart from that this an excellent map especially for competition play. thank you for making it if you want any more feedback pm me or send an e-mail . thanks again for this map it is pure quality i would hate to see it fall by the wayside because of a few minor faults :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought id fixed all the getting stuck in bunker issues in b5. Can you narrow it down for me?

I intended to change the 2nd obj to second line of defense but plain old forgot about it

Smgs and commanders get 2 nades each so there are some availiable if they assualt ;)

Balance seems to be the main point of contention. I hear always conflicting reports about who dominates who :p. This i think mainly boils down to how good your snipers are. If theyre good the axis have an easier time if theyre bad its nearly impossible to cap the bunkers.

A russian sniper was in b2 and tbh he was just god damn too powerful so had to be removed. A 2nd mg slot is feasible but again makes capping the bunkers super hard.

Im afraid i wont remove anything from the hq beacuse after all why would you build a building to leave it empty?!

I will look into providing more allied cover coming out of the last spawn as this was a concern i already had but hadnt arisen as of yet.

Spawn protection in the first line should be easy enough to implement (he says :p)

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming.

Upvote 0
The first time I played this map it was an early version and I played the Russian commander. We were easily able to beat the Germans. They didn't get a single cap.

Recently I've played (I think B5, since the changes you mentioned in the OP seemed to be in effect) as German and I think we won nearly every time. Part of the issue here is that the German players MUST coordinate to take out the bunkers. Once that's over, the rest is gravy, IMHO.

I honestly think this map is pretty good the way it stands now. If the russian SMG guys are on their toes and PATROL the bunkers, the Germans should have an extremely difficult time capping them.

My only "Wish" is that you swapped out the German Rifleman's pistol for Grenades. They're much more useful for clearing out bunkers, IMHO. The commanders can provide SMG support once they're capping.

Otherwise this is a pretty fun map.

Upvote 0