• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What we are up to - Jan 13th "The Pacific Front" Edition

-rambo style mgs play should be as hard as in RO1 - much more recoil
-Longer time of loading the bolt action rifle
-A bit less accuracy for weapons (recoil is fine)
-Enterable and leaveable tanks, i want to keep fighting if the tank is broken, like in RO1 !!
-reduce dasticly AI aim on mg in a tank !!!
-Remove LOCKDOWN time !!! or give admins possibility to turn it on or off on their servers..

Upvote 0
Btw TWI, are we talking about a new game mode, so we have:
-relaxed / realism / classic

Or rather, improving the the exisitng realism setting?

I prefer the latter.

I believe this is for Realism settings, dubbed "RO Classic" simply because of the impact properties Ostfront had on the community (myself included).

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
Everything that I could possibly say has been said so at this point I just encourage TWI to play a few rounds of Ro1 on the Russian Community Server or DH on the 29th ID if they get a chance and just see what aspects they can superimpose upon Ro2 (whether that be fixing or implementing). In particular I'm not satisfied with how suppression acts as a status effect as opposed to an immediate reaction. I also agree with all the slower gameplay and aiming and sway posts. Bandaging/Damage system obviously needs a second look... I know some think we're driving a wooden stake into this massive communal schism or what have you, but we're on the precipice of a masterpiece and I, for one, would love to see it fully realized. Ro2 is so very solid and all the bricks are in place... however, just like those old UT mods, it's a piece of marble that is just shy of being truly refined art... the community and TWI should take that proverbial chisel hand in hand and craft the greatest FPS man has ever seen. I'm not sober :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My opinion about future development of RO.

Tbh there are alot of complains on the forum which are simply not true. RO2 don't need lots of improvements to be perfect but some. I hope to see a future focus on already existing features. That would be:

-option to remove/add unlocks to a weapon
-player model collision ( i mean seriously in a game about more realistic combat then others you don't have player collision lol)
-improved hit detection/ping/networking in general
-missing features aka multiplayer campaign and more
-tank combat causes lots of lag, feels laggy in general
-remove death when choosing another class
-remove it that everytime you die the class GUI opens up and you have to pick a spawn point, it happens to often that i'am die in a bad moment and when i choose the same spawnpoint again the respawn counter starts again

Regarding a more realistic mode aka ROClassic mode i would like to see:

-more sway after performing certain actions like sprinting/running
-more sway when you are exhausted
-no unlimited sprint

As you can see i see more room for improvements in the technical part of RO2 than in the gameplay part since the limitation on submachine guns and other automatic weapons made it already more fun.I hope we will see improvements in this area soon.

Thanks for reading

Upvote 0
Theres already a RO1 Mode... it is caled RO1 ....funny that.

But if it is a must to have such a mode, then make it by all means, And make it exctly like RO1... it is not to complex and it iwll make Cyper and Mr Moe the happiest people on earth.

That said.. RO2 should keep adapting and adding new ideas to create more relaism, not re-hashing old ones that only make the game harder as psuedo realism in RO1.

Eventually in time it will show RO2 realism will be alot better....because unlike RO1...Ro2 will be imitating realism and not trying to create a realism through other means like RO1.

Upvote 0
Theres already a RO1 Mode... it is caled RO1 ....funny that.

But if it is a must to have such a mode, then make it by all means, And make it exctly like RO1... it is not to complex and it iwll make Cyper and Mr Moe the happiest people on earth.

That said.. RO2 should keep adapting and adding new ideas to create more relaism, not re-hashing old ones that only make the game harder as psuedo realism in RO1.

Eventually in time it will show RO2 realism will be alot better....because unlike RO1...Ro2 will be imitating realism and not trying to create a realism through other means like RO1.

+1 I fully agree.... :):IS2::)

Upvote 0
1. Stop SMG weapons from being so effective over long distances
2. Tone down the hipshooting ability of the MG
3. Remove bandaging
4. Either ditch or seriously tone the super weapons
5. Remove spawning on SL (and maybe the clan community can start playing again).
6. Having to press Ready before you respawn

For me, the bolt weapon side of the game is fine, no changes needed. Definately feels like a "Classic RO" weapon to me.
Most of the game feels like RO anyway, but just a few tweaks.

And one las thing:

PLEASE FIX THE SOUND SO EVERYONE CAN HEAR FOOTSTEPS (and other really good sounds that was added that get missed out) </rant>

I think hearing footsteps is definately a "Classic RO" feature that is required for all :p

Just as a note for anyone who isn't aware, there seems to be an issue in Ro2 if you have a Soundcard that supports Surround Sound, then the game engine uses that as its default setting (even if enabled to Stereo in Windows) and it means you can't hear all the sounds you are supposed to. Restart Ro2 with your headset plugged in, and Stero mode gets enabled and you can hear everything!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Worth to mention is that we don't want a carbon copy of Ostfront. We really like such features like mantling, bullet penetration and so on. We just want a real successor of award winning tactical WWII game: improved and better Red Orchestra, not that what we can see in first three videos.

I really would like to see many of RO vets coming back to Red Orchestra 2 with smile on their faces + newcomers who wanted to play a new and original tactical game, not "just another fps"...

thank you for reading/watching!

Quoting for the usual suspects above. Its been a pleasant thread so far, lets keep it that way.

The OP specifically mentions "classic" because everyone has an interpretation on realism. Both HoS and Ostfront have realistic/less realistic things about them. This is about what a classic RO game mode would feel like rather than your take on realism which is often subjective and varies from person to person. This is not a thread for going round in circles about realism or making the usual straw man arguments.

Where are the RO clans? Where are the new clans/players HoS was supposed to bring? Its hard to sell a game with few players and it needs a big update that shows people its a game worth playing and more importantly that TWI haven't completely changed their gameplay focus. If HoS is to recover it needs to tap into its wider playerbase and show that its a game worthy of being called an RO sequel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never played RO1, but i would very much want a tweaked mode of RO2.

How about:

- Slower everything. ADS, Bolting, Movement, Reloading and Weapon Switching.

- Optional Attachments, no more forced Bayonets, Dual Mags or Scopes.

- Less Accurate SMG's.

- An Option to switch between English and Authentic Voices.

- More Symmetric Weapon Names (I.E If it is called PPSh-41 then it goes along with MP 40)

- MP 34 and PPD-40.

- No Zoom, only with Scopes.

- No Enemy Loadouts.

- Better Key Binding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Draper
Upvote 0
A lot of good stuff here, and I agree with a lot of it. I'd love more pronounced bullet cracks and suppression(i.e. increased sway and/or flinching) along with the increased sway. That way, even if people can't reliably hit you, you still won't feel like peeping up and down and return fire like a psychopath.

SWAY
This is for me the core of the game that should be changed in RO2. It's way to easy to "stop -aim - fire - run away" in under 3 seconds and still get a headshot due to non-existent sway.
The resting feature is completely useless now (didnt even know it was in-game until a few months in the game).

SUPPRESSION
And to be honest the suppression is a joke. In RO1 the whizz made you flinch every time a bullet came by and which made you get your head down. In RO2 I don't even notice the bullet whizz 90% of the time and the desaturation is not a good way to transfer the message: YOU'RE GONNA DIE STUPID, GET THE F*** DOWN!!! Mostly when the screen is desaturated I just ignore it (or don't notice it) since I don't hear any bullets cracking; so I conclude that it's safe and it was activated by the arty or something else (which is the false conclusion sometimes due to inaudible bullet sounds).
The sounds form RO1 did transfer this message really well (my heart rate increased to abnormal levels when facing a MG in RO1) since they were very loud and therefore more stressful.

ZOOM
I do want to stress the fact that I want to keep the zoom, simply because at 200 meters I should be able to see the person as I would see someone at 200 meters in real life. The thing I want to have removed is the mysterious 'myst' in the map, removing any sight beyond 200 meters, making a sniper useless (Fallen Fighters has this a lot)
Don't take the zoom out, just increase the size of the map.

also make it something around 90% bolts, but that is just obvious:p

BANDAGING
Just increase the time to 15 seconds or so and increase the bleed-out times so you have some time to seek cover, but you need backup when you bandage and are extremely vulnerable.
(and remove Iron sight when bled out or increase sway like 'currentsway x 400').

Battle chatter
Please keep this implemented. I know that it will fire without you wanting it a lot, but since that doesn't have a nice solution, make it not audible (or less chatter) for the enemy.
I really like the chatter of my team and it's even useful. But this will keep you quiet when you don't want to be heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homuth
Upvote 0
-Much, much longer bandaging or simply the RO1 wound system.
-More sway
More sway
More sway
More sway
-Slower sprint.
Current sprint speed (that doesnt depend on terrain @ all) favors full auto run and gunners wayyy too much when coupled with the ridiculous bullet lag.
-Much bigger maps that dont funnel you to the same two buildings every single round.
-Body collision.

Even BF3 has the last two.. shame on you TWI.

Upvote 0
I have been reading up on the "RO Classic" ideas. Personally I am not in favor of many of them. Here is my opinion as to why:

1) Tank Bailing -- Are you serious? How many people left their tank unless it was burning and ready to blow up? I'd venture the number is near 0.

2) No lockdown -- Obviously those who want it removed entirely never played a map where you spent 20 minutes on the first cap. Maybe adjust the time but never apply, I disagree.

3) More Sway on weapons -- Maybe based on the position, standing versus Kneeling, vs prone. But the breath control is what you are taught to control the sway.

4) Longer Reload times -- Huh? So realistic reload times are not good enough?

A couple change I would make:

1) Accuracy of Pistols and SMGs may need revisiting. Pistols especially appear to need to have their accuracy reduced. I have killed people at 119 meters, I mean come on. If pistols were that good no one would have been carrying a rifle.

2) Tank AI -- Is the hull MG set to teh Bot level? I assume so, but it may be nice to be able to just disable via the server panel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-Much, much longer bandaging or simply the RO1 wound system.
-More sway
More sway
More sway
More sway
-Slower sprint.
Current sprint speed (that doesnt depend on terrain @ all) favors full auto run and gunners wayyy too much when coupled with the ridiculous bullet lag.
-Much bigger maps that dont funnel you to the same two buildings every single round.
-Body collision.

Even BF3 has the last two.. shame on you TWI.

But BF3 has Metro, the tunnel and that horrid saine map...
o_0

Shame on those who only like CQC maps, more like...

-Also if we are adding new weapons then where is the the most 2nd used SMG by the Germans in Stalingrad? The MP41(r)? The coverted PPSH using 9mm rounds, it would be way better than enemy load outs...

Upvote 0
Without debating any specific points at this time, I just want to point out that I don't really oppose measured changes to the game but I do not think changes to the core elements (such as movement, weapon handling) should be applied to only one mode or a new mode created.

My feeling is if it's truly worth implementing, apply it to the entire game. As it is now there are no significant differences in core gameplay between the relaxed, custom, and realism settings. That's a good thing, it makes the transition between servers with different settings non-jarring and tolerable. The game will have a basic feel and a basic identity. It's mostly HUD and information differences as far as I can tell (if we had an official manual, we might know for sure). A new mode or big changes to the realism mode will change that. If I have to play on my fallback server because the 1 or 2 servers I can play on are full or empty, I don't want it to feel like a completely different game between the two if they happen to run on different modes.

Also, this philosophy of "if it's truly worth implementing, apply it to the entire game" will lend a gravity to every decision of what to change because it will impact every player that isn't playing a mod. It won't be a case of extreme changes just because "they can still have their mode, let us have ours". I want RO2 to have an identity, a feeling. Let modders make the game into different versions as far as core gameplay, and let TWI decide what game they want to make.

Upvote 0
I haven't covered this whole thread (apologies and no disrespect meant to all, just I've wasted enough time for today as is) but the only thing I have in mind for 'Classic' mode is what *not* to change:

Player movement speed is fine. Please do not change it, in any game mode. It only feels 'wrong' when combined with numerous other smaller changes (bandaging, reduced effect of stamina mainly). In a made with longer bandaging and more severe stamina effects, I believe you'll see complaints about players being too fast drop off. Increase the penalties for being winded, and people will use their limited stamina for survival. You *should* be able to haul *** if someone is shooting at you, but you should *also* be worn out by the end of it!

Cheers, and happy gaming :)

Upvote 0