• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism, frustration, and other things ROHOS

I personally don't care for realism, but I do care for game play that works well together.

At the moment weapons do not differentiate each other much, like weapon A is good for task A weapon B is good for task B, where comparing weapons is like comparing apples and oranges. Now it is simply weapon A is better than weapon B.

This makes game play less interesting in general. for me another example is the weapon upgrades and perks. Unlocks are in one direction, you cannot disable unlocks, and every unlock or upgrade only got advantages and no disadvantages.

And while a .5 second advantage over another player to go in iron sight might seem small, that is a 500ms advantage in shooting the enemy a number that in ping people find unplayable. New players always had it hard in RO, now the upgrading system gives the best player clear updates. It would be better if every upgrade had a disadvantage (bayonet advantage: you can melee, disadvantage you get more top heavy more sway for instance). (ppsh drum advantage: more bullets, disadvantage: longer reload and more sideways sway).

Finally from a gameplay perspective:
I personally do not like it that I can sprint in a room, spot someone sitting in cover behind a table, and pretty instantaniously pop up the ironsights and kill the person.

I personally do not really like it that at long range fighting it is often a case of people just dying without spotting anyone aiming for them, this reduces firefights.

One of the things I like in Roost is that snipers were limited, as I generally do not like sniper game play. And as seen in BFBC2 if possibly nearly everybody will pick a sniper. In ROHOS the long range game play feels very similar to the sniper game play in Roost sniper only servers and BFBC2 with half the team made of snipers, only now the snipers are fully automatic.

In ArmA2 another game implementing zoom at least you can have less head bob, and zoom while running, while this is not perfectly realistic it stops the long range game play from becoming ww1 trench warfare.

RO:HOS is pretty close to being a great game and perhaps one of the greatest games of all time. But at the moment things just don't magically work together. Whether the game is realistic or arcade, in the end its the game play that makes me love games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1 OP, well said.

I can understand the reason for relaxed realism, and I support it, but we also need REAL ranked realism, not the pretend version we have now. If that existed, the core fanbase would still be here, putting up with bug issues, because it'd be worth it. As it is now, why bother? The gameplay could be great instead of the fastest gun in the west style shootout it is ATM. HOS has such potential, it's a shame it's up to the modders to fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thing is (and the reason why so many around here are disappointed due to lack of realism) - ro ostfront filled a rather special niche, a reasonably realistic game which was at the same time not too slow and hard to play (think arma). That is the reason it stayed alive for so long - it offered something other games didn't. Also, interestingly enough, most features in ostfront that weren't realistic (eg bullet spread on semiautos and silly smg recoil) actually were beneficial for the gameplay.

What they need to do imo is to drop the stupid "appeal to the mainstream" idea, it is pointless now as all the mainstream players already left. Now use the money they gave to make a game that was promised. Who knows, maybe ro2 can still be saved.

Also we need some good custom maps, most of the default ones aren't exactly mapping masterpieces. Some of the best ostfront maps though were initially custom maps. But the game needs to be fixed first for the mappers to have any incentive to start working.

Reactions: Pectus and Oldih
Upvote 0
That is all most of us want, a good default realism based Realism mode that can be ranked (because we know unranked rarely gets played). There are so many great features built into the game but there is very little that distinguishes the modes from one another. Everyone else that wants can have their Firefight and Relaxed Realism if they want to run around with endless MKbs. Give the game what it deserves and truly make it great!
Yup, and what makes it so frustrating is that the game, at one stage, probably was in a state that would have suited the foundation for a decent Realism mode - and then it somehow lost its way.

As an ICT developer nothing annoys me more than hearing customers say, 'this change sounds easy'. I'm loathed to say that redefining the Realism mode would be easy, but how about this: once the server setting functions are all possible would TWI create a default Realism mode using those settings and use that as the new base Realism game mode? It's work that is already being done and this could be a chance to pre-set the lion's share of the things that people were expecting (and in some cases told they were going to get) in a professional and operational manner. What will follow then is that Custom Realism servers will all be slight variations on a theme - call it differing tastes if you want to - rather than a chaotic mass of likely unworkable mystery offerings.

Upvote 0
Ohh god no, of course they aren't. Not only are more than half of us likely to allready be on Ramm's ignore list, or no, i should call that his list of "members of BS-wearer's evil cult of brainwashed anti-HoS conspirators" to be accurate, but we're not the people Ramm belives this game should, or indeed needs to appeal to in the first place.

We should all come back when we have as fat wallets as the CoD and BF Communities, maybe then he'll deem us worthy of his time.
I'm waiting for Iron Front Liberation 1944,my love for RO it's kind of gone,They did all those ranking system and all those scary upgrades speacealy for the cod fan boys to buy the game,but it sucks bad,don't bother to make thousands of threads like this,major changes like we want right now are imposible to do i think,we are not talking about some little bugs,we NEED BIG CHANGES TO SAVE THIS GAME TWI!!!U think that releasing game mods like In Country Vietnam and Rising Storm will save the game?NO!!!I'm a gamer and all my friends are,and all are saiyng the same thing like these guys over here,my advice is...do something before chrismas and stop thinking that SDK or Rising Storm will save you,sry for my english and good luck!

Upvote 0
No big changes are going to happen to an already released game, our best bet is mods but we need the SDK for that. "It will be released 2 days after the game's release" they said...on what planet?

Fortunately for TWI the game was a mild success so they got their money. It's not a problem for them now but next time they release a game they won't have the loyal fanbase to spread the word and buy the game for friends and family. They will have to prove theirself next time.

Upvote 0
Thing is (and the reason why so many around here are disappointed due to lack of realism) - ro ostfront filled a rather special niche, a reasonably realistic game which was at the same time not too slow and hard to play (think arma).

The thing for me is that I have never really been interested in games for being realistic or not and I just care for game play that feels fresh. The mod managed to make me more interested in the battle for the eastern front, purely because I liked the game play, just to state that there was more to RO than just realism, and for me as a non realism player that is gone.

And in the sense of game play as I said in my post it just doesn't trigger my fun level any more. When I play RO2 i generally just do not hav ea great time playing. There are some things that feel really great in the game and my first impression was that it got some things the mod had that roost lacked. But simply after playing the game for a while the chemistry and special balance between weapon and classes is gone. And the same with the thrill with in and outdoor fighting.

I want to like the game, but I just cannot. So far every thread regarding ROHOS I've read on forums outside of these have been negative as well, both about performance as game play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ditch RO2.

Make RO2.5, take all the fluff out, Remove SP campaign, FF, upgrades, heroes, bandaging, stats, leveling, zoom, and rare weapons.
Slow down the pace of the game, increase the sway, remove depth of field, re-design maps to play like Ostfront, or better yet, Combined Arms 3.3 and also increase their size.

A well polished lite version of RO2 that plays and feels well. In essence, Ostfront in UE3, with some extra features, and don't focus it on a single battle.

You'd have done quicker and better if you had done this instead.
Also next time, instead of spending whatever crazy amount of money you spent for a named composer, hire more and better programmers and designers.

Upvote 0