• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are grenades underpowered ?

I assume explosives are toned down for retarded player enjoyment

the grenades have EXACTLY the same damage in the code. There's a change towards the mainstream that should never have happened...

edit:

To those who say there will be MORE nade spam with deadlier grenades, think of it this way. If you give the F1 grenade is true lethality then you have to throw it from behind cover, or risk killing yourself. Making these grenades the tactical nukes they were in real life will make a lot of people wise up quickly as to where they throw them and how often. Im sure the learning phase after such a patch would be painfull though.

edit 2

It would be nice to see a slightly larger over pressure kill zone, and some fragmentation on the grenades, so you could still occasionally survive a very close encounter, but shouldent bet on it. I am reminded here of a training incident that a mate in the canadian forces mentioned. during grenade training some newbie pitches a grenade in the wrong direction apparently going through a window into a room full of people. Grenade went off, no one in the room was harmed. ( probably a M67 frag )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Nenjin

But there is a difference between room (or gully) clearing and nade spam. I imagine it was more like the enemy had an idea you were there. I could be wrong though, since I wasn't there.

I also had an idea after seeing the post that was put in while typing this. Make Russian frags stronger, maybe by a little, maybe by a lot, whatever works. Since they had fragmentations it is only logical that they hit enemies further, and it gives the Russians one more advantage for people who still maintain that they are underpowered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But there is a difference between room (or gully) clearing and nade spam. I imagine it was more like the enemy had an idea you were there. I could be wrong though, since I wasn't there.
It honestly doesn't feel that way a lot of the time. That stairwell into Prop House becomes a grenade sump half the time, especially with the ammo resupply right there for the Germans to use.

In a game where you're likely to get your face shot off popping up against guys you know are there, nade spam is a choice tactic. At least on Apartments, where engagement ranges are really short, I've seen a lot of nade spam. On Red Oktober? Obviously not as much. But even there, you'll see guys tossing 5 to 8 grenades through those two holes in the wall on the first objective...never intending to move inside afterward.

Upvote 0
Meh, I think they are fine. Not the best out in the open, but are brilliant for room clearing.

I wouldn't mind realistic grenades, but I don't mind what we have now. I just wish they didn't bounce like ****ing tennis balls. No idea how the german masher with it's wooden handle and odd weight distribution could possibly reflect off objects with such force.

By the way, anyone else HATE when you toss a satchel through a window...only to have it magically get stuck in the middle of the window even though it's not touching anything....

Upvote 0
A slight range/or damage increase but also the under arm throw needs a bit of a buff too, right now to get over the average wall you have to aim right up into the sky and jump when you throw, that's a bit extreme for an easy technique imo

Are you referencing the wall at A and B on apartments?

I slay underhand tossing frags over that wall onto the Russians.

Just got to make sure I have enough stamina to jump high enough.

Upvote 0
Grenades are only too weak in this game when it comes to me using them myself. I can pitch a grenade at peoples feet sometimes and watch it literally blow up right on them and nothing happens.

However on the other end of it, it seems as though everybody on the opposing team are using "Sticky" grenades against me that are prioritized to SEEK AND DESTROY right on my location. Like heat seekers that are only optimized to seek me out blow up the moment they get to me everytime. I am not exaggerating either, if I made a video of me playing you would see it. Sometimes I am left scratching my head on how I got blown up by a grenade in some locations or after I have sprinted 15m or more in the other direction when I saw a grenade thrown my way and somehow still got blown up.

Not saying grenades shouldn't be upped in damage, but this strange anomaly of grenades seeking me out the way they do leaves me to think its some kind of conspiracy.

Upvote 0
Speaking of grenades I'm bad to use mine as a miny smoke screen.Even if it don't kill the enemies close to me it blinds them enough so I can make my charge to get to or past them.

Maybe it will be a server side option one day in ro1 servers could adjust the kill radius of grenades or even arty.With the smaller maps like Apartments and Barracks if arty was turned up half the maps would be a kill zone lol.

Upvote 0
Speaking of grenades I'm bad to use mine as a tiny smoke screen.
Same. In the Station map I was proned and pinned down on the tracks by a kraut with an MP-40 about 60m away. I sent a grenade in his direction to blow up somewhere between me and him, and while the plume of dirt was in the air, I made a run for it.

Upvote 0
I would have to agree with this as I can gingerly run through a barrage, dodging shells that land within 10 feet of my position, and nothing happens to me.

If anything I'm sure this would knock me unconscious from the shock-wave if it didn't shatter every bone in my body

Being unconscious would be the least of your worries. The concussion blast from the artillery should vapourize players in a much larger radius and at pretty much liquefy their lungs and other organs to a range further out and expose those a bit further away to shrapnel and flying debris.

Grenades in reality should have a different effect outdoors and indoors. The German grenades should be much more powerful indoors where their concussive design would have the best effect but less effective (less lethal range) outdoors.

The Russian grenade is a fragmentation grenade, and in close range both frag and concussive effect should be experienced, especially indoors. Outdoors there should be a MUCH further range of shrapnel effects.

I'm not sure however, that these things can be easily modelled in game in any reasonable timeframe with so many other things being worked on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me the handgrenades are too silent and underpowered.
When it goes to accurate throwing id say its as easy as in RO1 , just needs a litl training.Can hit a window on the 4th level of a building pretty easy.

Got more concerns about the artillery.It was such a nice loud and crushing experience in RO1.Whenever u heard the ari come in u were in hurry to find some shelter and when u got shelter u were hangin in there , couldnt hear anything else and it was really shaking.

Now on a level like Barracks it seems like a soft rain and u can just run around it .. oh yeah and since it doesnt even crack a brick off a wall it cant be too devastating.

On other maps like Spartanovka its a riddle to me why a wooden building doesnt get destroyed by it.If the engine allows that any building could be damaged or destroyed , that would be a map where it would have made a lot of sense.Why not bomb them all off and then have some craters and piles of rubble u need to advance over.:p Right now its just a mission to get behind buildings with more ppl than the other side and capture them ,.. including several deaths from mg gunners who lay way apart the actual action and just snipe between the buildings and on the flanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The grenades should be a little bit more powerfull but in my opinion It's the blast radius that is the problem. Standing ten meters from a grenade blast on flat ground would certainly get you injured. I don't think grenades would be too powerfull in RO2 if they were as powerfull as real grenades. It's simply a matter of realism. Decreasing the grenades ability is not realistic in any sense.

What RO1 really did a great job with when it came to explosives was to make them feel quite powerfull. When saw someone throw a grenade at you, or when you heard artillery, you got this sense of 'panic' while playing. I haven't felt this in RO2, maybe mostly because I can barely hear grenade blasts.

Upvote 0