• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can you do better than this guy?

Exactly, it is a sequel, so gameplay will change as new ideas are brought in and old ones are thrown out. I can't think of many (if any) sequels where gameplay was exactly the same as the original. For better for worse, RO2 is not RO1 and the sooner people realise this, the sooner TWI can get some decent feedback, rather than the forums being chock full of threads complaining that this and that isn't like it was before and demanding TWI change the game to fit with their personal wishes.
"Decent feedback" meaning feedback you agree with, cool.

Upvote 0
Feedback that is realistic. "Gut the whole weapon, unlock system" isn't realistic. Devs don't throw away work like that.

Realistic also means what they want to do. Which is something they've been quiet on unless you take the game to speak for what they want it to be.

Because honestly, maybe they want more than 2 SMGs per side, and that's the kind of game they're going to settle with.

Having them actually talk back to us about what their post-release balance plans are would be nice though. So we could get a sense from them what's realistic or not.

Upvote 0
Pay attention to where he is too, that section of Apartments is really suited to that style of play but it's no more effective than camping the stairs with an MG (in fact less so). If he'd tried that on something like Fallen Fighters oreven just another part of Apartments then it wouldn't have worked at all. So no, RO2 isn't COD:WAW 2. Infact I stopped someone attempting to do this with a perfectly cooked grenade to the face once. Good times:)

Upvote 0
Pay attention to where he is too, that section of Apartments is really suited to that style of play but it's no more effective than camping the stairs with an MG (in fact less so). If he'd tried that on something like Fallen Fighters oreven just another part of Apartments then it wouldn't have worked at all. So no, RO2 isn't COD:WAW 2. Infact I stopped someone attempting to do this with a perfectly cooked grenade to the face once. Good times:)

Agreed!

Besides, look at all of those baddies in there! Most have no clue whats going on in that building--nor do they have any knowledge of any goal (you can tell by there movement) other than to look scared and get ript. You have to play with purpose to beat people like the one in this video.

Upvote 0
"Decent feedback" meaning feedback you agree with, cool.

Not at all, however the number of threads and posts complaining about changes made from RO1 is bordering on the ridiculous. People seem to have expected RO2 to be a carbon copy of RO1, with better graphics. In fact I have actually seen that suggested a few times.

Personally, I agree that running up stairs and uphill climbs is a bit too fast and should mean more a stamina hit, in the same way that it might be a bit better if sometimes your aim shifted as you go to iron sights, to account for being off-balance or stress of battle.

At the end of the day though, this is TWI's game. I don't like every feature of every game I have purchased (for example, I really enjoyed Red Alert 1 but never particularly got in to the sequels but I didn't start calling for the heads of the developers). If people feel that strongly about the features they dislike, perhaps they should start/contribute to mod projects (or create suggestion threads for said mods if they don't have the time/abilities to mod themselves)

Upvote 0
People aren't necessarily complaining about it being different, but about it being more simple and generic FPS style. Personally I feel TWI shouldn't have called it RO2, just Heroes of Stalingrad and made it clear that just because you're a fan of Ostfront, it doesn't mean you'll like RO2 as well.

Its like if Modern Warfare 3 had huge recoil, no kill streaks and no accuracy without iron sights. They would have a mutiny on their hands within the community :D . It would get aweful reviews from fans and would be called too boring or "clunky", that if they wanted real life they would join the army

TWI should have just been more clear about their intentions for the sequel

Upvote 0
Exactly, it is a sequel, so gameplay will change as new ideas are brought in and old ones are thrown out. I can't think of many (if any) sequels where gameplay was exactly the same as the original. For better for worse, RO2 is not RO1 and the sooner people realise this, the sooner TWI can get some decent feedback, rather than the forums being chock full of threads complaining that this and that isn't like it was before and demanding TWI change the game to fit with their personal wishes.

Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops are all basically the same game. The entire Battlefield series is the same game, just broken into different time periods.

Danzig is perfect for that type of gameplay. I'm not sure what you all expected, the first Danzig was just like that aswell. By the way, it wouldn't have mattered if he went into iron sights or not. At that range, you really don't need to. The same applies to sway, it wouldn't have mattered. Although I don't understand what is unrealistic about the current sway and time it takes to pull up iron sights. It's not like difficult to pull up a rifle to your face, and the sway after running is perfect; Seems like you all expect a guy to go into a seizure after he runs and pulls up his rifle.

Upvote 0
Part of the problem with this is that RO2 was made with a braindead deathmatch mapmaking philosophy.

All areas must have at least two entrances, and all areas must be bypassable to prevent snipers from camping with impunity.

That's why the guy can run between rooms to get around everyone, then jump down some stairs into the basement and come back up in the hallway 20 feet away. You know how many buildings have two cellar enterences 20 feet from each other? None. That's how many.

So, end result, if you hire a mapmaker to make you balanced deathmatch maps, you'll get balanced deathmatch gameplay. It will be a hard battle, men, so everyone make sure your weapons are in working order and prepare to run and gun at the enemy.

Upvote 0
The entire Battlefield series is the same game, just broken into different time periods.
Not true. From BF1942, to BF: Vietnam, to BF2, to BF2142, to Bad Company, to Company 2, and now to Battlefield 3.....the game has changed and evolved over time. Saying BF1942 is the same game as BF2 or Bad Company is just completely untrue.

And that's not counting the other half dozen spin offs like Battlefield Heroes or whatever.

Games change, evolve and adapt overtime and RO2 is no different.

Upvote 0
Not true. From BF1942, to BF: Vietnam, to BF2, to BF2142, to Bad Company, to Company 2, and now to Battlefield 3.....the game has changed and evolved over time. Saying BF1942 is the same game as BF2 or Bad Company is just completely untrue.

And that's not counting the other half dozen spin offs like Battlefield Heroes or whatever.

Games change, evolve and adapt overtime and RO2 is no different.

They're all the same gameplay to me, but then I didn't play them as much as others.

Upvote 0
So clueless. Sorry but if you can get any scrubby noob to play like that in RO:O then fine, but I doubt it. He's hip firing with bolts and SMG's for the most part, aiming by judging the angle of the weapon without instant iron sights, plus the guns have recoil. You also have bullet dip for sniping or longer range shots
Hipshooting with bolts, thanks the sprint bug that could not be fixed it was I the submachine gunner who was in mortal danger from the long ranged weapons at CQC and it felt like RO1 did honestly prefer the camper as it was super hard to assault the cap zone without getting torn to shreds (Oh Odessa, how I love and hate you). Whilst the sighting is something that is done too fast (and dont even get me start on bandaging) its better to have a game that rewards the storm troopers than rewarding the countless Zaitsev/K

Upvote 0
Actually did once - I was amazed; yesterday I think I ran around like that and killed 13-15 guys and then finally died. Pretty much unheard of when you play an assault class.

My wife is a witness she saw me jumping around amazed at my gestures of glee :)

Normally I either kill 1 or 2 guys or I just die from someunknown person 300 meters away

Upvote 0
Hipshooting with bolts, thanks the sprint bug that could not be fixed it was I the submachine gunner who was in mortal danger from the long ranged weapons at CQC

RO1 favoured skill and positioning. If you can pull off a hip shot with a bolt then good for you. If you miss your one shot then you would get mowed down by any smger. The smger could still kill you as fast you could bolt him if he aimed well and reacted fast enough.

Now its much more about aiming with iron sights, without as much knowledge of the game required or experience. Not much recoil, spread, dip or sway (gun control is easier) don't really need to think about what you're doing as much as its more forgiving.

As I said I don't want to hate on RO2 though, its just a different game.

Remember as well, people are very wary of developers that "dumb down" their games. It happens in nearly every successful series. First you get the quality game that sells through word of mouth. Then you get hype based off the first game and maybe slightly easier gameplay to accommodate a more mainstream potential, then you get it snowballing as it gets more and more mainstream interest.

DOD, CS, Team Fortress, BF series (I enjoyed 1942 a lot, bolt action rifles, some recoil etc), CoD etc. They don't all turn into bad games, but often they will lose their initial appeal that got them recognition in the first place and end up selling based on their name alone. Not saying RO mod/Ostfront -> RO2 is the same, but people are very wary of this especially when there is some simplification going on already

Reactions: OrdeaL
Upvote 0
I did that last week. Stabbing Germans on Apartments. 5 kills in a row clearing room after room with foes that actually saw me coming. :cool:

He isn't that good, he just got a lucky streak of catching people offguard. :p

That bayoneting is clearly a bug. I've lost count of the times I've opened up on people running at me from ten feet away. SMG, iron sights up... doesn't matter, they kill you, and run off to stab someone else. Completely unperturbed that you just unloaded half a mag into their upper chest.

Upvote 0