• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So I just tried enforcing the "advance or die" for russians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tking people because you think it's "realistic" when it really isn't, isn't "funny"

Tking isn't realistic? ORLY? Close to 13,500+ executed Russians in Stalingrad disagree. Read up on history before pretending to be a know it all... http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=828454#post828454 Go read up on order 227, NKVD executions and SMERSH within the scope of Stalingrad.

Using a hollywood film as a historical source is dumb. You, however, are ignorant of history yet look down on people like a condesending smartass. How ironic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
Hmmm...the size of these maps your already well forward anyway so the advance or die thing is mute.

Riflemen by necessity are more effective when shooting at mid to long range and shoving them forward on these size maps isn't realsitic at all even with an NKVD fanatic behind them.

Yes once the riflemen have cleared the way as much as possible and the assualt troops have gone in then the rifleman should follow...and try and make it to catch the obj with the assault troops to get the points and speed up the process...

Upvote 0
It was very lulzy. I said many times in team chat that I would kill anyone that wasnt a MG / marksman camping in our spawn. even then people got mad at me for shooting them. Thankfully it finally got the cowards moving up, and we proceeded to win the game :IS2:

Now all of you should try it, cause its fun. until you get banned D:
If you play eve I will make a medal in your name for my corp. LOL
Been thinking about doing something simelar at times when everyone camps outside the cap zone while it is being caped >_<

I always try to rush but i suck so i die... but I die for ze fatherland ^^ lol

Upvote 0
Yeah, that bugs me too. I usally try and pick off windows campers, but it doesnt really help that much it seems. The best thing thing you can do is go SL and throw some smoke around.

Why would window camping be a bad thing o0

I haven't actually run into people not advancing, in fact I've found the complete opposite. I try to advance as much as possible as a rifleman but if I run face to face against an assault/commander/mg I just say my prayers because I can't possibly kill them at close range...unless my pistol is out then it's still pretty iffy.

Keep in mind there's a lot of new players to this game right now. When the game releases expect it a whoooole bunch for the first week or two, then it'll probably get better. As a new player there isn't much direction on what to do and it is pretty chaotic for the first few hours. I personally did pretty well and once I figured out holding T shows me the objectives + shows me where my SL was, I just started following my SL around and covering him while we took over objectives. Seemed to work well except for the fact aiming is very tough until you figure out how supression/breathing/zooming all works. (Still figuring stuff out here and there and I been playing about 10 hours)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tking isn't realistic? ORLY? Close to 13,500+ executed Russians in Stalingrad disagree. Read up on history before pretending to be a know it all... [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=828454#post828454[/URL] Go read up on order 227, NKVD executions and SMERSH within the scope of Stalingrad.

Using a hollywood film as a historical source is dumb. You, however, are ignorant of history yet look down on people like a condesending smartass. How ironic. :rolleyes:

I have a degree in history

What do you have?

A link to your own post? Where you didn't even sight your source?

I've yet to see any source for this 13,000 number floating around the forum by mainly you. However I can tell you from what I have read, the vast majority of germans AND Russians executed in stalingrad were done so for other reasons other than "Not advancing during a battle". Stealing rations, leaving your post, falling asleep while on watch, going AWOL, and even drinking home made alcoholic concoctions were all major reasons for executions (not to mention those caught trying to desert to the other side).

I've never read anything about officers mowing down people who didn't advance as they wished that you TKing kiddies like to perpetuate on this forum.

Your posts are legitimately a disgrace to historiography and until you can show the slightest bit of professionalism I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut.

Upvote 0
Window camping.....erm...that a rifleman doing his job...laying down fire for the assault troops...camping a spawn thats bad...picking off people froma window so the assualt troops can do their job...thats tactics.

Infact you then went and said lay down smoke and use the grenade...hurrah thats tactics for the assualt troops to combat the rifleman tactics...your learning.

NKVD did have a battalion behind the lines to stop soldiers retreating...not sure how prevalent any killing on the spot by say a coy officer was though. David Glantz does mention in his seminal Stalingrad work that it's very murky historically how many men where shot for not going forward or for retreating ...infact if I remember he doubts it was as many as the myth, but he also said it did happen. I think penal battalions where more than likely the place they where sent rather than shot...and penal battalions re more than likely to have been given suicide missions...When the order from Stalin "Not one step back) came through Glantz beleives there was a rising in men being shot for retreating but when they held at Stalingrad it's doubtful it happened all that often. For a start there was no where to go.

Many German soldiers where executed aswell for retreating..especially during the Russian counter offensives, not just talking Stalingrad here either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a degree in history

What do you have?

A link to your own post? Where you didn't even sight your source?

I've yet to see any source for this 13,000 number floating around the forum by mainly you. However I can tell you from what I have read, the vast majority of germans AND Russians executed in stalingrad were done so for other reasons other than "Not advancing during a battle". Stealing rations, leaving your post, falling asleep while on watch, going AWOL, and even drinking home made alcoholic concoctions were all major reasons for executions (not to mention those caught trying to desert to the other side).

I've never read anything about officers mowing down people who didn't advance as they wished that you TKing kiddies like to perpetuate on this forum.

Your posts are legitimately a disgrace to historiography and until you can show the slightest bit of professionalism I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut.

History Degree? LOL? Get your money back.
:D

A few sources for you:
Catherine Merridale, Ivan’s War (Faber and Faber, 2005)

Antony Beevor, Stalingrad (Viking, 1998)

G. I. Krivosheev, Soviet Casualties and Combat Losse (Greenhill, 1997)

Now hush --> Start reading the subjects I asked you to, then get back to me. :rolleyes:

I'll finish on a fitting quote: "I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut"
Source: DiedTrying (TWI Forums, 2011)

EDIT: Need more inspiring in-game stories of red army officers persuading their peasant rabble to win the battle ITT!

Last edited:
Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
It's the worst in Apartments, every single time the soviets just rush towards the german house at the beginning. AND THEY ALL DIE and then we lose. Even when i'm telling them to hide behind the facking wall they still go herpaderp and run towards the open or hide at spawn. Things like that irritate me immensly. THERE'S A WALL, ****ING USE IT!!!!

It's more fun when the Germans expect this, and you go into a window and get 5 in 1 burst at one window with a PPsH, as they all wait for the inevitable noob rush through the open. :D

Upvote 0

History Degree? LOL? Get your money back.
:D

A few sources for you:
Catherine Merridale, Ivan’s War (Faber and Faber, 2005)

Antony Beevor, Stalingrad (Viking, 1998)

G. I. Krivosheev, Soviet Casualties and Combat Losse (Greenhill, 1997)

Now hush --> Start reading the subjects I asked you to, then get back to me. :rolleyes:

I'll finish on a fitting quote: "I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut"
Source: DiedTrying (TWI Forums, 2011)

EDIT: Need more inspiring in-game stories of red army officers persuading their peasant rabble to win the battle ITT!

Again, I have a degree in History from a flagship institution; what do you have?

3 book titles? 1 of which I've read (multiple times in fact) and I know it contradicts your argument?

You haven't even properly cited the source of the "13,000 dead" post you made that you linked me to. What book is that from? Don't paraphrase; I want to see the quoted paragraph. Posting books titles without documenting what part of your argument/paper the books are relevant to will give for an unforgivable F if not suspension from school and funds being withheld.

I also want to see where any of those 3 books said those 13,000 were executed for not advancing during attacks. I have already addressed the reason for the executions; you however have no responded to those points!

This whole "The Russian Officers killed people who wouldn't advance, so it's OK and realistic for me to TeamKill" is based on fantasy fueled by Enemy at the Gates and blatantly misinterpreted statistics.

You're just trying to find a justification for abusive, immature behavior.

If you were being graded for making a valid case for your argument, as I've said, you would have an F (This coming from someone who has had to grade such papers). Sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.