• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

News Flash! RO2 Interview + some new footage!

Jeez Hannula, stop being so 'self-entitled', and what does realism mean anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

/serious mode on

I don't necessary care about these odd weapons in the server or the influence they have on gameplay, but those guns to me destroy the whole RO feeling, at least how I experienced it: The only WW2 game which felt like you were a regular soldier fighting the war where tactics were far more important then the gun in your hand, not some special fully outfitted super soldier like most other games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeez Hannula, stop being so 'self-entitled', and what does realism mean anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To me, realism=(fun) means no Nagant revolvers with silencers, no Mkb42 or AVT40 im not starting to make a list but ya, i have no clue what you mean with self-entitled, i want to protest even it wouldnt have any effect, after all, im the one of the clowns who will buy this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My main concern is what the bulk of the population will decide to consistently play after the first 3 months or so. It's easy to say 'just dont play on servers with all the stuff enabled'.. but it doesnt actually work like that.

An example of what I'm talking about is when 50 player servers hit the scene for Ost. A lot of us didn't like how the game played out with that many people on maps not originally designed for such numbers, but we had no choice but to play on the 50's because the bulk of the population decided that's where they were going to play. You simply couldnt get a normal 32 player game anywhere else after a time.

So, 3 to 6 months into the life of RO2 I think you will be able to see where most of the games will be played, as certain servers will have consistently high numbers and others will either remain empty or struggle to get full games going. Then you will see whether relaxed realism will or will not become the gametype you're forced to play.

(and for those who will come in and say you arent 'forced' to play anything, to that I will say you can't really have a game by yourself can you? A server with 6 total people doesnt make a good game (I'm just using a low number as an example). People go where the highest numbers of other players are and that will remain true with RO2 as well. Seeding a server, especially with so many different game modes wont be very successful.)
EXACTLY why I am concerned at the moment. If it was just a few guns that were odd or extremely rare where gameplay wasn't terribly impacted I would be fine. But it's clear there is much more of this rare stuff then we previously thought, at every level of game play (main weapons, attachments, etc etc).

This means that it will be hard and harder to find a server that features the kind of content that people might want if they want to stick to a more historically accurate game. With SO many crazy rare things in game, it's going to be increasingly hard to find servers that actually cherry pick out what is needed.

I was under the impression that the AVT40 and the Mkb42 were going to be the "rare weapons" of RO2. I could handle that, because the impact on gameplay would be minor. I could see myself playing on servers that had these weapons. But now that I see that it goes much deeper, I don't like the idea that I could become one of "those people" hides in the corner of the community and tries to play a different game from everyone else.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one getting no sound?

Looks like Realism mode. Nice to see most of the junk not on the screen. :)

The cover system looks great, but at times looks like he gets "stuck on it". Still looks better than most games. I am looking forward to trying that.

I still don't like how the player discards the AVT magazine. I thought they where taught to retain magazines?

Aside from that the graphics look cleaned up and far less blurry than the screen shots.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head buddy.

That's why I'll either have to be part of the 20k beta, or wait and see how viable it is to switch it off and how many servers there are.

This is what I am waiting for. I'll have to hear form others how many low ping American realism mode servers there are. I'd play RO1 right now so more, but being forced to play on the same server over and over again isn't fun. I don't want this to be my experience for RO2.

My main concern is what the bulk of the population will decide to consistently play after the first 3 months or so. It's easy to say 'just dont play on servers with all the stuff enabled'.. but it doesnt actually work like that.

An example of what I'm talking about is when 50 player servers hit the scene for Ost. A lot of us didn't like how the game played out with that many people on maps not originally designed for such numbers, but we had no choice but to play on the 50's because the bulk of the population decided that's where they were going to play. You simply couldnt get a normal 32 player game anywhere else after a time.

So, 3 to 6 months into the life of RO2 I think you will be able to see where most of the games will be played, as certain servers will have consistently high numbers and others will either remain empty or struggle to get full games going. Then you will see whether relaxed realism will or will not become the gametype you're forced to play.

(and for those who will come in and say you arent 'forced' to play anything, to that I will say you can't really have a game by yourself can you? A server with 6 total people doesnt make a good game (I'm just using a low number as an example). People go where the highest numbers of other players are and that will remain true with RO2 as well. Seeding a server, especially with so many different game modes wont be very successful.)

Someone gets it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never seen so much whining over a bad quality shaky cam clip, without audio, of the game clearly in uber relaxed death match mode to ensnare the average gamer.

Anyone who really thinks that's a true indicator of RO2 as a whole, clearly is lacking a grasp on reality. Ah, how the RO forums have changed over the years. Increasingly I'm seeing bitter vet syndrome :p

Reactions: Makabi and Derpus
Upvote 0
Well, we've been begging for gameplay videos and, well, I guess that was a gameplay video. I couldn't help but notice the lach of weapon collision (I don't mind, it's usually mort frustrating than intuitive) and the plum colored bolt on the SVT-40. Was that how they really were in 1942? Last time I read about them, I think I remember it had something to do with importing them to the US.

Upvote 0
The realism people are right that it don't feels like COD...i mean RO, when you have MKB42 and silence at every corner.

But also the crowd who says we have no clue to what extend we will see this weapons on the battlefiled are right.

So we have to wait. For me the videos looked like Red Orchestra with a much brighter setting and thats good because i feared the typical movement will be screwed. The cover system looks nice and i hope that was relaxed realism with death messages and other stuff.

Upvote 0
The realism people are right that it don't feels like COD...i mean RO, when you have MKB42 and silence at every corner.

But also the crowd who says we have no clue to what extend we will see this weapons on the battlefiled are right.

So we have to wait. For me the videos looked like Red Orchestra with a much brighter setting and thats good because i feared the typical movement will be screwed. The cover system looks nice and i hope that was relaxed realism with death messages and other stuff.

Imo it feels like RO :p

Upvote 0
COD2 and BF1942 were the gateway drugs into RO (for me). I don't understand why people think it is a crime to come from zomg mai gawd mainstream gamez.

I agree there is nothing wrong from moving from one community like COD to RO or for TWI to purposely try and attract the player bases from COD and Battlefield.

For example in RO some of the After Hourz team moved over from COD:UO, myself and Psycho Sam who worked on Mare Nostrum moved over COD2. Anenas who co-founded Darkest Hour had been working on COD/BF skins, RGN guys moved across to RO from COD1/2. Those are just some examples I can think of, there are countless others.

For RO2 I hope we'll see talented modders from the COD scene like Joker and Zeroy move over to the RO community full time.

It's a good thing that RO is attracting COD/BF players and Modders. Obviously there will be some undesirables that come across as well but they'll soon be weeded out.

Upvote 0
I think the argument is why add these weapons when "gamers" could care less. If you're trying to appeal to CoD type players... then make a run and gun game where you don't have to change barrels on your MG, create realistic ballistic system, fully realized tank interiors, realistic tank penetration, ect ect...

Not every1 wants to play unreal tournament w/ "realistic" looking weapons (BC2) or play clunky walking simulators (ARMA2), RO is the thing in between..

I understand you "breathe WW2" and even have uniforms and stuff, hat off for that, but stop being so selfish damnit! You want every1 to have less relevant content, less people to enjoy the game, and the devs to get less reward for doing 50x more research than any of those lazy slacker studios who spam the market with DLC crap.. all because there's finally a WW2 game with more than 10 boring weapons every1 has already seen 1kk times in 1000 other WW2 games.

I didnt give a shiz about RO1 despite hearing it has lots of epic features ONLY because its a WW2 game.. ive had that stigma of "Ive already played that 1kk times before" kinda like people go "COD MWx = MWy".
Now its the same about my friends, told em about all the features and epicness RO2 will have but the response ive got was "Sounds great, I just dont like WW games".. and theyre not (too) casual, none played MW, some even despise BC.
Now I can try again with some video footage and present it as a completely different WW2 game, not just COD2/MOH with better gfx and cover system or w/e.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
popcorn-MJ.gif

Upvote 0
Considering how crazy the battles got I don't care that you see odd weapons here and there. Just because you don't see them in pictures and films doesn't mean they weren't necessarily being used by someone. Anyway, even on servers where those types of weapons are included, I'm sure they'll be very limited; i.e. not every player has it. I'm glad we can use new, interesting weapons as the same old things get boring after a while. Diversity is the spice of life, though the many armchair military historians seem to disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0