• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

News Flash! RO2 Interview + some new footage!

2397_bpfobu.jpg

Upvote 0
Everything looked great to me for the most part.

One thing bothers me, 2nd video, 4:30. Battlefieldish spawn system looks awkward in RO. Friendlies popping out from nowhere on your screen, I had hopes that TWI can avoid that major mistake of modern FPS shooters.
It looks retarded and ruins original Red Orchestra gameplay. Looking forward for video from Red Orchestra/realism mode.

Agreed, I'm hoping it was just a mistake of some sort. That's exactly the sort of spawning I don't want to see in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only "realism go-er" who doesn't give a **** about the proto - weapons because they can be disabled on servers? If you don't like something, don't play it or associate with it. Stop *****ing and moaning about something that you cannot possibly change. Just deal with it and move on. If you are still butthurt, keep it to yourself because I don't really give a **** about your opinion(s).

I understand that there is no 'Serverside Modifications' section in any ww2 field manual (that I know of), but I still can't fathom what is so hard to grasp about the concept of improving revenue and opening doors to players and gamers who have never played Red Orchestra, so money can be re-invested to keep DLC free. TWI is not throwing realism in to a dank basement to die; they are improving and adding to the game to make it commercially successful.

Romanticism and ideals are nice, but they don't belong in business.

ps Let's see if we can top 31 pages lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whoever said the C96 looks like Han solo's blaster, they are right, as the Han solo gun was made from that gun (add scope + other things of course) but I love when that gun is in a game.

Oh and also, there is an episode of mythbusters talking about the practical uses of silencers in non stealthy ways. but it was mostly because of reduced recoil in pistols (more weight on the end lowers the kick back) I looked for a YT video but couldn't find one.

Upvote 0
My main concern is what the bulk of the population will decide to consistently play after the first 3 months or so. It's easy to say 'just dont play on servers with all the stuff enabled'.. but it doesnt actually work like that.

An example of what I'm talking about is when 50 player servers hit the scene for Ost. A lot of us didn't like how the game played out with that many people on maps not originally designed for such numbers, but we had no choice but to play on the 50's because the bulk of the population decided that's where they were going to play. You simply couldnt get a normal 32 player game anywhere else after a time.

So, 3 to 6 months into the life of RO2 I think you will be able to see where most of the games will be played, as certain servers will have consistently high numbers and others will either remain empty or struggle to get full games going. Then you will see whether relaxed realism will or will not become the gametype you're forced to play.

(and for those who will come in and say you arent 'forced' to play anything, to that I will say you can't really have a game by yourself can you? A server with 6 total people doesnt make a good game (I'm just using a low number as an example). People go where the highest numbers of other players are and that will remain true with RO2 as well. Seeding a server, especially with so many different game modes wont be very successful.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This was a press event, where TWI was trying to show the coolest gee-whiz things and show the reporters something they could quickly get a kick out of.

Maybe that's why they were showing Firefight, with the no weapons limit thing.

Of course the bread and butter of the game will be the common weapons, but if you want to show the press something new, you don't show them the same common weapons that were in RO1, and every other WWII game before. You show them something new and different - hence the rare weapons.

Reactions: Capt.Marion
Upvote 0
The footage is amazing. Really looking forward to the game. Only thing that I could see that needed some work is the spawning system.

At 1:38, was the blur that happened in game, or was it just the camera getting a little out of focus?

As far as the weapons are concerned, I'm not really too bothered. Its firefight. Its supposed to be a killfest with any weapon that you happen to have unlocked. The intention of the mode, as I understand, is to mess around with the weapons and to provide a more arcady and relaxed game mode.
The players were probably give every single unlock so that they could use what they like, so lighten up a bit.

I highly doubt that we will end up with everyone having a different loadout in either campaign or normal.

So props to you TWI and keep doing what you do best.

Upvote 0
Am I the only "realism go-er" who doesn't give a **** about the proto - weapons because they can be disabled on servers? If you don't like something, don't play it or associate with it. Stop *****ing and moaning about something that you cannot possibly change. Just deal with it and move on. If you are still butthurt, keep it to yourself because I don't really give a **** about your opinion(s).

I understand that there is no 'Serverside Modifications' section in any ww2 field manual (that I know of), but I still can't fathom what is so hard to grasp about the concept of improving revenue and opening doors to players and gamers who have never played Red Orchestra, so money can be re-invested to keep DLC free. TWI is not throwing realism in to a dank basement to die; they are improving and adding to the game to make it commercially successful.

+1
I've been saying this for most of the time, yet the naysayers keeping moaning about it EVEN though it can be disabled and avoided, it's so pathetic.

Upvote 0

I'm not worried about being stuck with features I think are unrealistic, I know we will have options for our server. I understand the POV of just letting this go, ignoring features we don't like etc. I have gotten over the MkB42 and accepted the fact that it will be in the game, rare or otherwise. The game looks fantastic and I'm as excited as ever.

However, seeing that silencer in the new video just really threw me off and struck me as strange. It would be nice to have more information on just how rare unlockable equipment will actually be, and more details about server customization would be great too. This would cut down on the confusion and frustration going on about the rare equipment.

Edit: On that note I think part of this clash over the silencer has been caused by the fact that the video it is seen in has no audio, there's no commentary explaining what we're looking at or telling us that it's Firefight mode and weapon restrictions are lifted etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I think the argument is why add these weapons when "gamers" could care less. If you're trying to appeal to CoD type players... then make a run and gun game where you don't have to change barrels on your MG, create realistic ballistic system, fully realized tank interiors, realistic tank penetration, ect ect... I don't know of anyone that LOVES COD and main stream fps games that are going to flock to RO because they threw in some rare WW2 weapons (that they won't appreciate or even know existed) and made unlockables. Call of duty players want non-sense... stabbing people from two miles away, glitchy dogs that jump the entire map to kill you, and very small run and gun maps with headshots and all that garbage. With the first game TWI catered to realism type people who enjoyed the real life feeling of the game. When they announced RO2 most RO fans were happy... They were going to change some game play aspects that would make the game even more realistic and upgrade the graphics quite a bit. While they have done that excellently, they starting adding in stuff that we complain about, because we know better, and while they can be shut off, many are afraid that they won't have servers to play in. TWI also seems to post PR making these weapons seem to be the mainstream of the game... its hard to argue that thats not true because in RECENT PR they showcase rare weapons and fluff instead of what makes RO a bad *** game, weapon characteristics, historical accuracy, and all that I have mentioned in my previous posts. Again from the reaction of the guy at prague... he could care less about the hard effort that TWI has put into making the game realistic and said it was average... in fact most "gamers" are going to be annoyed by the fact that you have to change barrels on the MG's... add in the mkb42, an extremely rare and unsuccessful mp40 II and a silenced nagant pistol and whatever else, and the cod player could care less. I don't understand why they are catering to people who don't give a damn about the realism of the game and the hard work that they have put into it. I think if the "gamers" get the game, they will probably get angry with it after the first week and then not play it ever again. Look at the markee interviewer's reaction... he could care less about the cool realistic features, but had the attitude of "can I headshot people while standing with a PTRS a mile away and eat corn nuts and drink 70,000 cokes while sitting on my couch?" It's a concern nothing more nothing less.

Edit: I also realize that adding firefight and the rare weapons could introduce new players to the game and they could slowly understand why RO is so cool... for that, I understand and have nothing against.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the argument is why add these weapons when "gamers" could care less.

Because it's fun and comes with the benefit of being semi-historically accurate?

Since RO was created it's had weapons that weren't exactly standard issue. And yet, surprise surprise, most people did use the common weaponry anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightriderAOF
Upvote 0
I think the argument is why add these weapons when "gamers" could care less. If you're trying to appeal to CoD type players... then make a run and gun game where you don't have to change barrels on your MG, create realistic ballistic system, fully realized tank interiors, realistic tank penetration, ect ect... I don't know of anyone that LOVES COD and main stream fps games that are going to flock to RO because they threw in some rare WW2 weapons (that they won't appreciate or even know existed) and made unlockables. Call of duty players want non-sense... stabbing people from two miles away, glitchy dogs that jump the entire map to kill you, and very small run and gun maps with headshots and all that garbage. With the first game TWI catered to realism type people who enjoyed the real life feeling of the game. When they announced RO2 most RO fans were happy... They were going to change some game play aspects that would make the game even more realistic and upgrade the graphics quite a bit. While they have done that excellently, they starting adding in stuff that we complain about, because we know better, and while they can be shut off, many are afraid that they won't have servers to play in. TWI also seems to post PR making these weapons seem to be the mainstream of the game... its hard to argue that thats not true because in RECENT PR they showcase rare weapons and fluff instead of what makes RO a bad *** game, weapon characteristics, historical accuracy, and all that I have mentioned in my previous posts. Again from the reaction of the guy at prague... he could care less about the hard effort that TWI has put into making the game realistic and said it was average... in fact most "gamers" are going to be annoyed by the fact that you have to change barrels on the MG's... add in the mkb42, an extremely rare and unsuccessful mp40 II and a silenced nagant pistol and whatever else, and the cod player could care less. I don't understand why they are catering to people who don't give a damn about the realism of the game and the hard work that they have put into it. I think if the "gamers" get the game, they will probably get angry with it after the first week and then not play it ever again. Look at the markee interviewer's reaction... he could care less about the cool realistic features, but had the attitude of "can I headshot people while standing with a PTRS a mile away and eat corn nuts and drink 70,000 cokes while sitting on my couch?" It's a concern nothing more nothing less.

Great that you did made my thoughs to words, my english or patience would have not been enough. I agree with every word, this is like throwing the idea of realism into corner.

Upvote 0