• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Ergo, when people say "wow look at thouse animations in this hardscripted BF-3 trailer, this game will be so awesome", i say "yeah... let's wait and see the game".
:rolleyes:

People were excited about the animations seen in the latest developer interview scenes(the soldier shooting, going prone etc) which are all ingame, and since the game uses ANT the animations WILL be that awesome.

Upvote 0
How can some of you guys have been around games and game trailers this long and can't tell the difference between a cinematic trailer and something that's happening in real time? You can honestly say you saw the BC2 E3 trailer video and thought that's what the end product would be? Compare the BC2 E3 trailer (cinematic) with one of BF3's gameplay trailers such as the Fault Line video (real time): YouTube - ‪Battlefield 3 - Full Length "Fault Line" Gameplay Trailer‬‏ You can clearly see how awesome the animations are. If that BF3 video is a fake then they sure did the most incredible job yet of faking ingame footage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hate to be devils advocate amerikaner but I have two points to make.

A: is this one of the games ALA most recent medal of honour where there are somethings you can do in SP you cant in MP.

B: A lot of those AI animations at certain points or your animations for doing things could be scripted animations and not ones you can do whereever/whenever. ie the peek animation that the video shows before you play the video.

Point A is not likely, point B I wouldnt be surprised of...

Upvote 0
Hate to be devils advocate amerikaner but I have two points to make.

A: is this one of the games ALA most recent medal of honour where there are somethings you can do in SP you cant in MP.

B: A lot of those AI animations at certain points or your animations for doing things could be scripted animations and not ones you can do whereever/whenever. ie the peek animation that the video shows before you play the video.

Point A is not likely, point B I wouldnt be surprised of...

By all means be devil's advocate, there might be something I overlooked or didn't know and then I will have learned something. :D

Point A: In MoH (2010), sp was built off UE3 while mp was built off of Frostbite so that's the reasons for the visual difference. (Were you referring to specific features?) BF3 is purely Frostbite 2.0. Is it possible certain Frostbite 2.0 effects will be scaled back for performances reasons in BF3 multiplayer? Sure, but if it can be done in sp I see no reason why it's not possible for mp as well.

Point B: The animations I'm mainly referring to are third person movement animations. They all look great so for it to be scripted, that means the entire gameplay video would have been scripted, right down to scripting what the player is doing in first person because his/her actions are dictating what the other players are doing (both teammates and enemies). The players in multiplayer won't have the little nuances like peeking around a corner and then looking at a friend for dramatic value and stuff like that but all the movement animations that a human player would enact like sliding into cover, peaking around a corner, kicking a door, sprinting, will most likely all be present in multiplayer if it it is present in singleplayer. And from these singleplayer videos, we can see it's already in the engine. I just do not believe that this ingame footage was faked. It doesn't have the glossed over cinematic look that a fake or concept video would have. A bunch of the effects in that video looked very similar to thing's we've already seen in the previous Frostbite engine. Like I said before, if it truly is a scripted sequence running in real time on the engine, then they did a very nice job of combining a cinematic into ingame footage which, if true, at the very least proves that the engine is capable of making the game look as good as these videos....and if that's the case, the only reason the end result wouldn't be like that is hardware limitation, which should not be a problem for PC's (consoles on the other hand, idk...).

I'm not saying my evidence is infallibly right and one should never really trust marketing at face value, but I think the evidence in this case points to this not being a full on fake, and if it is, it's probably the best fake for ingame footage yet released.

Upvote 0
By all means be devil's advocate, there might be something I overlooked or didn't know and then I will have learned something. :D

Point A: In MoH (2010), sp was built off UE3 while mp was built off of Frostbite so that's the reasons for the visual difference. (Were you referring to specific features?) BF3 is purely Frostbite 2.0. Is it possible certain Frostbite 2.0 effects will be scaled back for performances reasons in BF3 multiplayer? Sure, but if it can be done in sp I see no reason why it's not possible for mp as well.

Point B: The animations I'm mainly referring to are third person movement animations. They all look great so for it to be scripted, that means the entire gameplay video would have been scripted, right down to scripting what the player is doing in first person because his/her actions are dictating what the other players are doing (both teammates and enemies). The players in multiplayer won't have the little nuances like peeking around a corner and then looking at a friend for dramatic value and stuff like that but all the movement animations that a human player would enact like sliding into cover, peaking around a corner, kicking a door, sprinting, will most likely all be present in multiplayer if it it is present in singleplayer. And from these singleplayer videos, we can see it's already in the engine. I just do not believe that this ingame footage was faked. It doesn't have the glossed over cinematic look that a fake or concept video would have. A bunch of the effects in that video looked very similar to thing's we've already seen in the previous Frostbite engine. Like I said before, if it truly is a scripted sequence running in real time on the engine, then they did a very nice job of combining a cinematic into ingame footage which, if true, at the very least proves that the engine is capable of making the game look as good as these videos....and if that's the case, the only reason the end result wouldn't be like that is hardware limitation, which should not be a problem for PC's (consoles on the other hand, idk...).

I'm not saying my evidence is infallibly right and one should never really trust marketing at face value, but I think the evidence in this case points to this not being a full on fake, and if it is, it's probably the best fake for ingame footage yet released.
As much as I like to be suspicious of hype trains for any mainstream game these days, I have to agree that I think BF3 will have a truly remarkable graphical presentation -- which includes lighting, destruction, and of course the animations. Of course many of the animations that have been shown in trailers so far have been heavily scripted, but I think it's safe to say that, based on the video just released, that they are putting alot of attention into their regular player animations as well. There is no reason to believe in my mind that these animations are "fake" in any way. I probably would have said the same thing if I had seen the facial animation techniques in the game LA Noire a few years ago.

I think there is little doubt that BF3 will be the next big benchmarking game since Crysis. We'll just have to wait and see how it delivers on the gameplay front.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but all the movement animations that a human player would enact like sliding into cover, peaking around a corner, kicking a door, sprinting, will most likely all be present in multiplayer if it it is present in singleplayer.

I agree in principle, but unless they either turn the control interface into one as complicated as ARMA's or secondary animations like kicking down a door are triggered in some way, I don't see those animations being present in either SP or MP. C'mon, they made a big deal about simply returning prone.

I believe the animations in the footage we've seen were created solely for the teasers and while we'll see the basic animations like running/sprinting at the same quality in the game, you won't have separate more nuanced ones for peeking, sliding, kicking etc. If they were in game, I think we'd be hearing all about it from the marketing boys.

Upvote 0
I agree in principle, but unless they either turn the control interface into one as complicated as ARMA's or secondary animations like kicking down a door are triggered in some way, I don't see those animations being present in either SP or MP. C'mon, they made a big deal about simply returning prone.

I believe the animations in the footage we've seen were created solely for the teasers and while we'll see the basic animations like running/sprinting at the same quality in the game, you won't have separate more nuanced ones for peeking, sliding, kicking etc. If they were in game, I think we'd be hearing all about it from the marketing boys.

Are the controlling schemes in EA sports games (that use ANT) as complicated as in ArmA? Are the animations in EA sports games different in online/singleplayer? ;)

Upvote 0
Nothing is as complicated as ARMA... :p

You can make animations that are context sensitive. For example, sprint at a wall and you'll jump up and climb it, sprint at a door and you'll kick it open, sprint at a window and you'll dive through.

Or you use simple modifiers. If you're sprinting and want to stop, you have a variety of options; you can quickly stop and remain standing (lay off the sprint key), drop to your butt and slide (lay off the sprint key and hit Crouch) or a headfirst bellyflop (lay off the sprint key and hit Prone).

That's more complicated than the crowd BF3 is aiming for and like I said, it's never been mentioned in any promo material, so all I expect are pretty basic movements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0