• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

People are excited because they get to play the same old map instead of something new and fresh?

They are getting something new and fresh in the core game. This is considered something extra. It's a simple but fun map layout that people have grown fond of over the years. You could also ask why people read books twice or watch director's cuts of movies or movie reboots. It's enjoyable for some people so why complain?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had fun once or twice on Wake Island, playing America. We slowly battled our way from the beach, up the right side, all the way to airfield, capturing as we went. It was an all-infantry thing, the choppers and jets just didn't seem interested in us. The grass being so tall on Wake, it was pretty intense to go prone in front of the airfield, full of defenders, and know that probably 3 inches of terrain is all that's keep you alive.

But that's the exception to Wake. Most of the time it's as described. You get to defend the beaches as the Chinese, and that can be rapetacular for your side. But mostly it's running to and from the two arms of the island and getting pillaged by airpower.

Personally though, I could give two ****s about Wake. I only played it in BF2, I'm not one of the people who played it from 1942 who have seen it across three successive games now. I want to see destructible Karkand.

Upvote 0
People are getting excited because they get to play a map that has proven to be fun with a brand new game.
I see this kind of thing as more of a PR pine to the community. "Hey guys, look! We remember BF2, see? We have Wake! This is proof that this will be a good PC game and a true successor to BF2! See?! Awesome right?"

At least that's how I always see these kinds of things. Except it's even worse in this case because they're offering those carrots on a stick as PAID FOR DLC, whereas before they were either included in the game or released for free later in a patch. It's all about nostalgia and money, boys.

Upvote 0
I see this kind of thing as more of a PR pine to the community. "Hey guys, look! We remember BF2, see? We have Wake! This is proof that this will be a good PC game and a true successor to BF2! See?! Awesome right?"

They brought back old maps to BF2. If this weren't paid DLC or a pre-order bonus, I wouldn't care. As it is, I'm only slightly annoyed at blatant marketing. But DICE has been redoing old maps for new versions for a long time now. (Like, 6+ years.)

Upvote 0