• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might aswell give few hints:

1. Shooting in the chest with a rifle is 99% of the time a guaranteed kill. You don't need to aim for the head.
2. With SMGs 1-3 bullets are also (usually) sufficient, depending where you hit exactly. Same applies for handguns.
3. The game has muzzle velocity modelled quite well for infantry weapons. E.G. if a target is roughly around 200 metres from your location and you have a rifle, your very rough thumbrule for rifle is 800m\s, hence you would need to aim ahead to the rough location where the target would be after 0.2 seconds. With SMG you could effectively halve it to 400m\s as a rough thumbrule, basically making it closer to 0.4 - 0.5 seconds on similiar range.
4. The game models bullet drop. While with rifles and 'standard' range this may go unnoticed, with SMGs you may need to aim 2-3x the target's height at long ranges. With rifles it would not so much due greater muzzle velocity.
5. You can rest your weapon on almost any solid surface. When you bring up ironsight E.G. when behind a sandbag, you should see a grayed bipod icon. If you don't move your mouse for a brief moment it becomes white, now you are resting your weapon on the sandbag. Your mouse moves slower this way, but it greatly reduces recoil and has positive impact on accuracy.
6. Don't challenge guys based on "hay guyz I can do this on any other game.", E.G. if there's MG in good position and you have SMG, don't just try to dance around and hipshoot like crazy to expect you're taking him down. Just don't do it. If you saw someone else do it the guy probably has been playing the game alot longer than you have and knows what the hell he is doing :p
7. Keep the bayonet attached to your standard rifle at all times.

Playing RO is mostly a patience test, because it isn't your typical ADHD run'gun shooting fest.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Wahoo about repeatedly missing your target... that's a huge benefit of not having auto-bolt... first off your complaint about it will go away as soon as your brain learns to automatically double click after every shot---when it does it will basically be the same as if it was auto-bolt. BUT, while you're a newbie, it's a very a useful tool to see by how much you're missing (since you can't normally see clearly where your shot landed if you're working the bolt). I remember when I started out I'd usually wait a split second after I fired to work the bolt... that's how I learned how to aim, how far to lead, how much below/above targets I needed to fire at different ranges etc. It also gives you the advantage of having that .5 second to rush someone with a bayo if it comes to that. Bolting before you rush can mean the difference between life and death. You don't get either of those advantages in COD.

As for complaining about reload speed... you ever reloaded a stripper clip on a Mauser or Mosin IRL? Cause a lot of people here have and certainly TWI has and it's not super fast. If anything I'd say they're being a tad generous.

YouTube - M91/30 Mosin Nagant Rapid Fire

And that's not in combat conditions where you haven't slept in 35 hours, live in a hole in the dirt, haven't had a shower in months, have your whole platoon pinned down by an MG42, and don't have your ammo on a nice little table for you to grab :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now with bolt reload speed it's fine, could be faster, but the bolt action is way too slow. I hate the extra mouse click to reload, but I eccept it. I hope they did real world testing here as well. When working a bolt properly your eye should not leave the sights. If the bolt is tight you can bring the weapon to your upper chest to gain leverage, not all the way down to your hip. Faster reloads have a lot to do with an economy of motion. Holding a heavy weapon like that for long periods of time is not realistic, but maybe they could add the sprint fatigue to it, idk. If the weapon is resting on something then there should be no need for it. It will be interesting to see how the new weapon/ environment interaction stuff works. Floyd I give it to you, I don't know how you do it buddy, not without wanting to pull out all your hair. lol ;) I missed a guys six times, sitting still. Uggg.... Sorry I can't help but want COD5 speeds without perks, but with RO2's new features. lol I know...I know....:(

The bolt action rifles are meant to have players take their time in lining up shots and firing. The only time you should have to worry about bolt speed is at really close quarters (in which you should probably try and bayonet) and in suppressing the enemy.

In my opinion (Which is just that, an opinion) I think working the bolt is fine, and if anything could use an extra .5 or full second. Sure you could slam fire just about any of the rifles in the game, and probably put all 5 rounds down range in a few seconds, but your really not going to hit much.

Also, I haven't had as much experience with the Kar98, but I do own a 91/30 Mosin and I can tell you first hand that it is pretty difficult to work the bolt while it's shouldered and your ADS. Its an extremely awkward movement that pushes the bolt back and practically into your eye (And I mean really close. I pulled mine out of my gun case and gave it a try just to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke, and practically gave myself a black eye :D). It is possible to do, but it kind of defeats the purpose as it takes longer and the movement + bolt covering your sights will throw your aim off for a minute anyways. I think your better off with the conventional way.

Upvote 0
Finally, I'm glad to see some constructive debate going on.

Some of you guys who jump in the thread and flame the OP's first post are no better than he was. His mistake was posting before playing RO. Unlike some, he has since bought the game and has been playing it with us. You should afford him the same courtesy by at least reading the entire thread before responding with hate.

He is a loong time COD player who heard about RO:HoS. He came here seeking to learn more. He is experiencing the learning curve that we all went through. Unfortunately, at this late stage of the game, one of his only options of servers to learn on has been 24/7 Danzig. Imagine if that were your first RO experience. (Especially now, when most that play have been doing so for years). He's struggling with some of RO's clunky quirks. And lets not forget that RO is an "old" game. Avatar animation graphics and movement mechanics have come a long way.

We have invited him to play with us and join us on Teamspeak. He has done so and has tried to keep an open mind. Like all of us did at first, he gets frustrated. (And you can imagine how playing CoD for the past 10 years has warped his perception of fun. :p) We're trying to get him in one of the more ROish maps. I think he'll come around in time.

I don't think any of us want RO:HOS to be another CoD. And as evidenced by his presence, neither does he. If we want mature and talented players to 'make the switch', we should recognize where where they have been and encourage them; not beat them over the head for showing an interest. Read the thread......

Kudos to you wahoo4 for taking the initiative. Kudos for keeping your cool amongst the flame trolls here. I know you like FFA, but after a few more hours with RO perhaps you'll see why so many don't think it "fits" well with RO. TW may see things differently, however, so who knows at this point.

Bring your objective based mindset and join us in a few more games. Hopefully, your game time frame will allow you to join us on our server when the regulars are on. We'll make a point of picking some maps that will help give you the full RO experience.

Hang in there and good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should try not contradicting yourself if you're trying to make a point. You want people to die because someone is better than that person, and you want skill to be the determining factor. Then in the same post you say you don't care about weapon balance. So which is it? Do you want it to be about skill, or about whos packing the boss.

You aren't going to be attracting any competitive cod/cs players(I would know) with awkward gameplay mechanics. I'm not talking about making weapons cookie cutters either. You can easily make the ppsh do less per hit than the mp40, which would force the player to require more skill, and wouldn't effect the realism in any way.

Are you dull? He said one weapon type won't have an advantage over another. The PPSH-41 has a fast fire rate and packs a lot of ammo, but it burns through that ammo very quickly. The MP-40 is a slower-firing weapon that takes longer to work through a magazine- that means it's recoil is easier to deal with, which implies that it has a bunch of other traits that the PPSh-41 doesn't have. Neither weapon is better than the other. Both excel in certain situations. This implies to any other weapon combo you could think of.

Reactions: Knighted
Upvote 0
Are you dull? He said one weapon type won't have an advantage over another. The PPSH-41 has a fast fire rate and packs a lot of ammo, but it burns through that ammo very quickly. The MP-40 is a slower-firing weapon that takes longer to work through a magazine- that means it's recoil is easier to deal with, which implies that it has a bunch of other traits that the PPSh-41 doesn't have. Neither weapon is better than the other. Both excel in certain situations. This implies to any other weapon combo you could think of.

Actually he said they weren't going to try and balance the weapons, which would be the opposite of what you just said.

Upvote 0
Actually he said they weren't going to try and balance the weapons, which would be the opposite of what you just said.

Wow Knigthed you have got it all tangled up homie.....

It was posted in such a simple words and you still read between the lines dude.Weapons in the game react as if they react in real life,just to give you an idea from RO1 - PPSH has more recoil than the MP40 and its better in close combat when firing from hips by shooting in burst and dropping the mice down since the recoil kicks the weapon sky high.When it comes to medium distances you better be aiming and shooting from prone cause in crouch position recoil is still strong except if ur leaning the PPSH to a resting object.

The MP40 has way slower fire rate,its weaker in heap shots in close combat vs the PPSH,but in medium combat range you can just be in crouch and aim and do more damage than the PPSH in prone,as for longer distances MP40 is better than the PPSH but you are more effective if shooting from prone position or crouch but resting the weapon on some object.

So you see weapons in RO are made close to real life characteristic so the only way they are balanced is by MAPS sizes!!!!

I play RO1 for 3+ months and I can freely say I have no problem playing against vets and taking them down in shooting and tactics,it took me a while but....yea I got good at it....

Willsonam exlained that to you very simple,weapons dont play 100% of the role in the map,its the gamer that handels it and the tactics it uses it,some weapons are better on smaller maps and some are better in mid size maps and the bolt or the semi whoops them all in large maps,its not the weapon its the player that controls it.

To quote you:
You can easily make the ppsh do less per hit than the mp40, which would force the player to require more skill, and wouldn't effect the realism in any way.

What you just offered here is balancing weapons,skill??? what skill,take all the recoil from the PPSH? or maeby make the MP40 shoot faster? or maeby we can all jump from 5th story building make a 360 turn aim down scope and do a headshot while deploying the parachute.....

You my friend never played RO1 and for sure never played the original vCOD and UO,the only HC COD players I acknowledge are the vCOD and UO players in competitions.

Do us all a favor,buy RO1,was only $4.99 for pits sake,play it and dont give up on it,use the VOIP,interact with experienced vets,maeby youll get good in 2 months maeby in 5-6 just before HOS hits the shelves,but play the game at least so that you can see what we are trying to explain here.

It took me 1 day of gameplay to to see whar RO is,the only thing I was pissed back then at it was not being able to interupt some actions and escape from MG or nade dropping by me while reloading....Try it men and you'll love it,try DH its iven more immersive and WAR feeling than RO1 is iself,no offence to TWI but DH rules big time.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I think this thread can die now. I'll still push for a FFA game type, because it's will bring in even more casual clans to the game. Regardless, after see more interviews/game play of RO2 I'm not worried at all. Everything looks great, weapons shoot faster, run speed is faster, reloads are fine, sights are much thinner and easier to use now. Weapons are more realistic and recoil is better. Looks like John's play was smooth and you could run and gun is you desired. Graphics look great and over all everything looks so good. Guys there so many sick new features that will make you never want to play COD again. It's more realistic, but makes play so much better. Maps are outstanding. This all comes from a diehard COD fan. It brings a big tear to my eye. :D

I've not seen much bolt play yet, so I wonder some how quick they shoot and etc. Everything I didn't care for in RO has been fixed. No more forced to go prone the entire game. I'll keep playing RO until it comes out, but yeah, it's going to put COD to shame. I love the WW 1&2 era. Can't wait, I'm so pumped. :D This game will be big, I'm sure of it.

Upvote 0
I think ROHOS is in a very interesting position in that it will loose very few RO player's and stands only to gain new player's.
A good deal of how new player's re-act too the game depends on us.......

The first time a new player pulls a nade.....and looks dazed and confused as it land's at his feet....ripping 3 or 4 teams with him.....patience is called

The first time there tearing off across the map .....only too find there out of breath....under fire....and cant hit anything if they do manage a shot (nades going off like popcorn)....followed by all sorts of teamchat....patience :D

These guys dont have the 5 or more years of respect built up by you guys' for this game , and the truely immursive team game play that is possible with this game......have patience guys......when is it out march or something......too long :eek: :D

Upvote 0
Well, I think this thread can die now. I'll still push for a FFA game type, because it's will bring in even more casual clans to the game. ...
Then make a new thread called "IF FFA will be in ROHOS, how could it be to be good?" =).

Then we can laugh at people who will write stuff like "FFA should not be in", staying on-topic is tough for some people ^^.

Upvote 0
Wow Knigthed you have got it all tangled up homie.....

It was posted in such a simple words and you still read between the lines dude.Weapons in the game react as if they react in real life,just to give you an idea from RO1 - PPSH has more recoil than the MP40 and its better in close combat when firing from hips by shooting in burst and dropping the mice down since the recoil kicks the weapon sky high.When it comes to medium distances you better be aiming and shooting from prone cause in crouch position recoil is still strong except if ur leaning the PPSH to a resting object.

The MP40 has way slower fire rate,its weaker in heap shots in close combat vs the PPSH,but in medium combat range you can just be in crouch and aim and do more damage than the PPSH in prone,as for longer distances MP40 is better than the PPSH but you are more effective if shooting from prone position or crouch but resting the weapon on some object.

So you see weapons in RO are made close to real life characteristic so the only way they are balanced is by MAPS sizes!!!!

I play RO1 for 3+ months and I can freely say I have no problem playing against vets and taking them down in shooting and tactics,it took me a while but....yea I got good at it....

Willsonam exlained that to you very simple,weapons dont play 100% of the role in the map,its the gamer that handels it and the tactics it uses it,some weapons are better on smaller maps and some are better in mid size maps and the bolt or the semi whoops them all in large maps,its not the weapon its the player that controls it.

To quote you:
You can easily make the ppsh do less per hit than the mp40, which would force the player to require more skill, and wouldn't effect the realism in any way.

What you just offered here is balancing weapons,skill??? what skill,take all the recoil from the PPSH? or maeby make the MP40 shoot faster? or maeby we can all jump from 5th story building make a 360 turn aim down scope and do a headshot while deploying the parachute.....

You my friend never played RO1 and for sure never played the original vCOD and UO,the only HC COD players I acknowledge are the vCOD and UO players in competitions.

Do us all a favor,buy RO1,was only $4.99 for pits sake,play it and dont give up on it,use the VOIP,interact with experienced vets,maeby youll get good in 2 months maeby in 5-6 just before HOS hits the shelves,but play the game at least so that you can see what we are trying to explain here.

It took me 1 day of gameplay to to see whar RO is,the only thing I was pissed back then at it was not being able to interupt some actions and escape from MG or nade dropping by me while reloading....Try it men and you'll love it,try DH its iven more immersive and WAR feeling than RO1 is iself,no offence to TWI but DH rules big time.:D

I've been PC gaming since Oregon trail and Number Eaters. I played and competed in CoD and UO, and CoD2. I also played RO quite a bit. I read his post correctly, and I disagree with him. I'm not confused by anything he said.

Upvote 0
I've been PC gaming since Oregon trail and Number Eaters. I played and competed in CoD and UO, and CoD2. I also played RO quite a bit. I read his post correctly, and I disagree with him. I'm not confused by anything he said.
So you disagree the way the game is made and that all weapons have advantages and disadvantages on different maps,and you think weapons should be balanced so killing with them is not as easy and they should be in the same ballpark more or less?

All I know if in RO your in CQC with bolt and some runs up to you with LMG and you miss your 1st hipshot...oh well your going to die no matter what...so ru suggestin the LMG to be made less damaging in order that u can take ur time reloading the bolt while the enemy put bullets in you???LOL,thats what I call play no skill,I can imagine how ROHOS would be frustrating to play with all the recoil and sway + needing 5-6 hits to kill someone with LMG like in BC2,TWI will loose all of its long loving customers just to gain few new COD and BF players.Plus the devs dont want that sort of gameplay,thats why they made RO they way it is,but new RO2 will be more fluid in movements,you can interrupt actions and weapons such as LMG has less recoil and MG has more recoil than in RO1,which it makes RO2 more realistic and more friendly to new comers.

I honestly think they are on the right path and new comers will start venturing in this game play lil by lil,we wont see much of them on release date,but sales will grow as time passes by.

Upvote 0
So you disagree the way the game is made and that all weapons have advantages and disadvantages on different maps,and you think weapons should be balanced so killing with them is not as easy and they should be in the same ballpark more or less?

All I know if in RO your in CQC with bolt and some runs up to you with LMG and you miss your 1st hipshot...oh well your going to die no matter what...so ru suggestin the LMG to be made less damaging in order that u can take ur time reloading the bolt while the enemy put bullets in you???LOL,thats what I call play no skill,I can imagine how ROHOS would be frustrating to play with all the recoil and sway + needing 5-6 hits to kill someone with LMG like in BC2,TWI will loose all of its long loving customers just to gain few new COD and BF players.Plus the devs dont want that sort of gameplay,thats why they made RO they way it is,but new RO2 will be more fluid in movements,you can interrupt actions and weapons such as LMG has less recoil and MG has more recoil than in RO1,which it makes RO2 more realistic and more friendly to new comers.

I honestly think they are on the right path and new comers will start venturing in this game play lil by lil,we wont see much of them on release date,but sales will grow as time passes by.

No I don't want that, you guys sure assume anyone who doesn't agree with the clique on everything is some half retarded guy drooling over his copy of CoD. I want to make sure that every weapon has it's strength and it's weakness. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
What is this invisible "the clique" I keep hearing about.
It's a term made up my Knight given to what he perceives as RO2 fanboys that flame his posts.

I'll admit, I'm disagreeing with pretty much everything Knight has said lately, but I'm not going to down-rate his posts just because I disagree with him. So in that regard, I have to agree that people have been very immature.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.