• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer Jan Issue Cover: "Why RO2 will beat CoD:BlOps"

Great read! First page screen shot is EPIC. Also the new damage model for the tanks sounds incredibly juicy.

But PzIII and T-70? Isn't the Pz.III like >>>>> T-70? The T-70 commander has to act as gunner, and loader, not to mention that the T-70 should have lots of difficulty penetrating the Pz III/IV armor (depending on the model of Pz.III). Hm. Time will tell.

In other news...

Must find "ze Strudel Cache!"

Upvote 0
Little history revision:

At about same time COD1 was supposed to hit the market most popular WWII FPS game on the pc market was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, I think it was back in november of 2001. COD than came out and included more realistic features like iron sights and had more features and eventually took over. I don't think anyone back than was looking foward to these "new" realistic features and was probably pretty happy with crosshairs in MOH. Maybe now its the time that PC gaming industry goes up another notch with even more realistic features that ROHOS offers.

Does anyone realise that COD serie hasnt really changed AT ALL in some deparments - if you extract weapon files from cod1 and cod:bo (which are 8 years apart), you will see that they still use same variables to make recoil.

Call of Duty serial has been going down since the original and only departement where it has seen improvement is graphics. Engine, which is still heavily modified quake1, has been vastly optimized making it work on bigger share of PC users market, but no new features have been introduced.

In other words, to a passionate COD1 player who just woke up from coma that he fell into back in 2002. Black Ops would be a huge dissapointment.

One would probably think that by 8 years you would have something more revolutionary than basically a same game with prettier graphics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is great publicity for TWI, you guys are gaining a lot of momentum!

What's up with the naive comparison? Both games have absolutely nothing in common and if you ask me, any unique FPS game with an attention to detail and quality would "beat" the CoD franchise without even saying it.

I think they mean it will beat CoD in the sense that TWI will prove that it's still possible to create an awesome 100% PC game that doesn't feature any console BS, and that there are still game developers who have a genuine passion for PC gaming and actually care about their fans.

They've already won that battle, man... :IS2:

Upvote 0
There are many ways to "beat" CODBO. I'll list them out here and my thoughts on our capability to do so:

1) Sales - Obviously we won't beat them on total sales because RO2 isn't also a console game. Beating them in PC sales even would certainly be tough, but getting in the same ballpark is certainly achievable. Especially considering they've said that PC sales only account for 4% of their million of units sold.

2) Reviews - This is totally doable. If you look at the metacritic scores for the original RO and PC Black Ops you'll see the original RO has a metacritic of 81 and BO has a metacritic of 83. So as long as we make a game that is better than the original RO (which is what we're trying to do) we could beat them in reviews.

3) Long Term Player Counts - I put long term player counts here, because most any game has lots of players playing it the week of release. What really matters is will people be playing it months down the road. This is an area where we'll have a hard time beating them until we catch up on #1 above. Our strategy of long term support and free content for our games however certainly is good for us in this regard. Both RO and KF have added a LOT of players and sales over time to keep the player counts up and a big reason for this is our post release support.

4) Long Term Customer Satisfaction - I know this is hard to measure but if you look at the philosophy of Activision vs the philosophy of TWI in how we treat our customers you'll understand what I mean. The Activision philosophy is to release a game and then either quickly move on, or nickel and dime the customer with paid DLC. The Tripwire philosophy is to give the customer good value at release, and increasing value post release in the form of free DLC (maps, weapons, vehicles, etc), and some non-essential optional paid DLC (like the Killing Floor character packs). We stand by our games for the long haul, and this is not always something that can be said about Activision and the COD series.

5) Expandability - We'll destroy BO in this area. With a MOD SDK released BEFORE the game ships (its already in the hands of a mod team) and multiple total conversion mods already in development (Pacific Theatre WWII, Vietnam, and WWI) we're going to win this fight hands down. This combined with our support for mod teams and our pattern of releasing mods for our games over Steam so they are easy to get into the hands of the fans really gives us the edge here.

6) PC Functionality - Another area where we should beat BO hands down. With a full dedicated server, web based server administration tools, 64 player MP support, and a dev team focused only on a PC version this is an area where we can and will shine.

So these are my thoughts on this headline :) I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind that RO1 is not RO2 (even though that "niche" game has sold almost half a million units). We are making a game that is aimed to be much more accessible than the first RO while still staying true to its tactical shooter roots. We were a new company with almost no money and resources when we made RO1 5 years ago. We're much more experienced now have a lot more resources than when we made the first RO. So to quote Darth Vader "when we last met I was but the learner, now I am the master." ;)

You have definitely won. I love Tripwire.

Upvote 0
Just got my copy of PC Gamer this morning (last one available). Liked reading the story about how you got the idea to add iron sites to rifles with mounted scopes in the game. I did the same thing tracking deer in quakies. Can't follow them with a scope, but the iron sight made it possible.

John and crew, to paraphrase your own words, thank you for putting meat and potatoes back into FPS gaming.

Look forward to more information in the future as time permits.

Upvote 0