• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire, why did you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefleshpound

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
...release Killing Floor in Germany? I admire everyone who doenst even think about a German release of his game. There are still developers who don't want their games to get ****ty by censorship. Don't you know the main objective in this game is shooting zombies? And how funny is that when the game is fully censored? You don't even know if you did a headshot or not...And things like that are quite important in KF.

As a member of the old community and a long-time player of KF...I have to guess you're only about the profit. Everything was fine BEFORE it went retail (in Germany). And yes, I was stupid enough to buy a German version, because my mates one was cut in German and uncut in English. Later I read the mentioned statement.

Don't you think German players hate their own laws and how they cut the **** out of games? Everytime a game studio acts like "**** this crap, I'm not gonna release in Germany", we're happy and import it from another country.

By censoring Killing Floor like that, you destroyed it. The German version is not playable if you're used to the other versions. It's not only the fault of the German people that the laws don't change. It's also people like YOU, thinking "Let's cut everything out - 1 or 2 idiots in Germany are going to buy it anyways."

Upvote 0
lol rage thread.......i sense fail in the picture, dude i really dont see why you whine about something small as this :)

Why should it be "something small"? The gore-system was also announced in the mod for 2.5. So I don't see why I should play without it.

But if it's not important for you, why not swap your account with mine? :)rolleyes:)

So German people can buy the game, genius.

Well, they are able to buy a "cut-into-trash"-version of the game. They should experience Killing Floor as it is meant to be. I did a test: I let a mate of mine play both versions. First German then English. He got bored after the German version, but really enjoyed the English one.

Isn't it laws in German that causes the games to be censored or less gory versions of games, and not the company that releases the game?

You're right. But the there are other companies that do not release their games in Germany. Or they do not agree on cutting things out. They say that all the censored stuff would ruin their games. For example Gears of War and Dead Rising (Zombie Game :p) -> No German versions. They didn't want their games to be seen like that, censored.

Upvote 0
You're right. But the there are other companies that do not release their games in Germany. Or they do not agree on cutting things out. They say that all the censored stuff would ruin their games. For example Gears of War and Dead Rising (Zombie Game :p) -> No German versions. They didn't want their games to be seen like that, censored.

Yeah, but Gears of War is old and boring now. And Dead Rising just sucks. Sucks horribly!!!!!

Be be greatful it's not there.

Upvote 0
You're pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Tripwire did not WANT to censor their game; they were forced to by the German government in order to sell their game there. Don't blame Tripwire, blame the German government.

Saying that they just shouldn't sell it in Germany at all is a bit ridiculous. They're a game development studio. Game development studios need money to continue producing games. Don't imply that they're acting out of corporate greed when they're releasing budget-priced games; they simply need funding to keep the train rollin'.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but Gears of War is old and boring now. And Dead Rising just sucks. Sucks horribly!!!!!

Be be greatful it's not there.

Well, Killing Floor really "sucks" when playing the German version. Sorry to say that. But as I mentioned before: If the main objective is to shoot zombies, it's quite important HOW they die. Thats why Alex introduced the new gore-system a while ago. And I also mentioned that you're disadvantaged and it affects the gameplay, because your don't know if you scored a headshot. (Which is furthermore important if you want to level-up the the sharpshooter-skill and want to know if you scored many or just a few headshots in this round.)

Tripwire did not WANT to censor their game; they were forced to by the German government in order to sell their game there. Don't blame Tripwire, blame the German government.

Ofcourse they didn't WANT to censor KF, but they did. When it was released on Steam, it was uncut, because German law didn't apply. It worked like you just "imported" the version from another country. Only for putting some silly boxed copies of the game in stores, they really messed everything up for the German players.

Upvote 0
So German people can buy the game, genius.
German people could buy the uncensored game via steam before the release, genius.

Everyone who doesn't live in germany, you have no idea what it is like so please, kindly stfu.
You know, for a while I was scared my version would just turn to crap because lolsteamcanseemyip.
Yeah, stuff like this happens here.

Also they made a censored version of it so they could put it into stores, not because "they were forced to".
They could've decided not to publish it in germany.
Now what this lead to is that, simply because it exists, purchasing via steam if you have a german ip now gives you the crap version and buying it retail gives you the crap version.
If you live in germany you know, no one wants the crap version of a game so you'll jump through hoops to get the playable one, thus making the existance of the crap version even more pointless.
This is especially true for a game such as killing floor where exploding heads is basically the point of the whole game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well when you chop my quote in half, it loses a bit of context doesn't it? :(

My full quote agrees with what you said. So they could sell it.

It was perfectly buyable via steam.
The irony is, it is no longer "buyable" via steam if the crap version of a game gets published.
The version you bought before might even also turn into the crap version, luckily this didn't happen with kf though.

Upvote 0
You're still trying to put a band-aid on a bigger problem, which is the German's strict censorship. Tripwire is a company trying to maximize their profits via advertising/store sales, which I'm sure they need as they're a small studio releasing budget games. Your examples of GoW/Dead Rising were much larger studios with more funding.

I feel bad for you guys, as I wouldn't want to play censored games either, but your anger should be directed at the USK and not Tripwire.

Upvote 0
at the main menu press ~ to open the console
type

Code:
Set Engine.GameInfo bLowGore False

Code:
 Set Engine.GameInfo GoreLevel 2

if that doesnt work I heard that the language setting of the computer can determine the gore of the game, ie having a german languaged windows will result in lowgore
can someone in germany confirm or deny this so we can have you kids stop crying
low gore isnt even that bad...
(and yes i do use it for the lulz)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.