• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Full 1016 Balance Change Log

You can shoot Pipe Bombs before their arming delay finishes.

I know this. But it's not always possible to get a clear shot at it in time without severely injuring yourself. Pipes are only really viable when our Berserker tosses all his extra cash to the Demoman after every round. And even then, the difference isn't huge. Better off buying grenades, as many have said.

I've been trying Berserker more. The Fire Axe isn't as bad as I thought, as it seems way more reliable at 1-shotting Husks and Sirens than the Katana alt-fire. And it deals with Scrakes a good deal faster. Still not having a ton of luck against FPs with it, mostly due to teammates not giving me room to kite, but it seems workable.

Machete is still crap. Every time I've used it with any perk, it's gotten me killed or horribly maimed. Save meleeing for the Berserkers.

What actually has me impressed is the LAW. It actually packs a decent punch now and has enough rockets to make it through MOST of a round if used sparingly. Works wonders on groups of Sirens/Husks hiding behind a lair of bullet-screening Clots and Gorefasts.

Upvote 0
I rest my case. It's seriously still crap unless you're trying to save money...in which case you should probably just play a wave or two as Berserker.

Its not really a Berserker weapon anymore, its a backup weapon for when people run out of bullets in their magazines.

Primary fire knocks off gorefast heads, alt fire drops them flat. If you've got the time to stab, use the alt fire, if your pinned, use the primary. Plus the machete stuns a clot and breaks the clot grab, which the knife doesn't. You use what you need to at the time.

Leave the 'chete be.

Upvote 0
Okay, so after realizing that I was just REALLY rusty, I withdraw most of my comments about Zerkers being too weak. They're pretty much perfect as is...except the Chainsaw still doesn't 1-shot trash like it should.

The biggest issues that remain after playing a bit are:

-M14 is a total joke for a Tier 3 weapon
-Chainsaw still pales in comparison to the Katana and, IMO, needs an outright redesign to make it better (Possibly promote it to Tier 3 and give it a significant boost)
-Pipe Bombs cost too much to be useful
-Firebug still needs more weapons and, IMO, is still pretty boring to play
-Medic lacks...something. Kinda feels dull after a bit.

And of course...
-The infamous spawning issues

Upvote 0
I have to admit I agree with Nanostike except Firebug is a heck of a lot more fun to play with the addition of the MAC10 than it was before.

They nerf the mac-10... I remember you can one-shot decap up to bloats when mac-10 just come out. Now you need two shots.

They also nerf the fire damage of mac-10. It takes forever for a HoE clot to burn to death.

The main issue of fire bug is: you save ammo by letting the small zeds burn to death. However they keep blocking the line of shooting of teamates (and zeds CAN block flamethrower from hiting the zeds behind) and you ARE blocking line of sight. There's a burning party of zeds!! When those 10 clot should already DEAD and they dont, how can you say you are not blocking the line of sight...

SO, if you want to drop zeds fast, you end up using too much ammo. Or, you set everything on fire, and that support hunting shotgun the hallway. Every single one of your ammo is wasted.

So the only way I counld found is ONLY kill clots, stalker, crawlers, sirens. And I found I never need to use my mac-10...... and I still able to get to the top of the scoreboard.

Upvote 0
Okay, so after realizing that I was just REALLY rusty, I withdraw most of my comments about Zerkers being too weak. They're pretty much perfect as is...except the Chainsaw still doesn't 1-shot trash like it should.

The biggest issues that remain after playing a bit are:

-M14 is a total joke for a Tier 3 weapon
-Chainsaw still pales in comparison to the Katana and, IMO, needs an outright redesign to make it better (Possibly promote it to Tier 3 and give it a significant boost)
-Pipe Bombs cost too much to be useful
-Firebug still needs more weapons and, IMO, is still pretty boring to play
-Medic lacks...something. Kinda feels dull after a bit.

That plus dual pistols (especially dual 9mm) are somewhat useless now :(

Upvote 0
They were not very useful even before the patch:eek:. The dual 9mms just happen to be even MORE useless now. In any case, it's a weapon(s) that has been asking for a purpose for some time now.

I forgot how useless they were, really. I intentionally avoid dual 9mms and Dual Handcannons because they ruin my accuracy for little benefit. And to un-ruin my accuracy, I have to toss one down and lose 1/2 of the ammo I just paid for. However...if you're not a Sharpshooter, at least the extra handcannon will sell for a bit if you pick one up.

The main issue of fire bug is: you save ammo by letting the small zeds burn to death. However they keep blocking the line of shooting of teamates (and zeds CAN block flamethrower from hiting the zeds behind) and you ARE blocking line of sight. There's a burning party of zeds!! When those 10 clot should already DEAD and they dont, how can you say you are not blocking the line of sight...

SO, if you want to drop zeds fast, you end up using too much ammo. Or, you set everything on fire, and that support hunting shotgun the hallway. Every single one of your ammo is wasted.

So the only way I counld found is ONLY kill clots, stalker, crawlers, sirens. And I found I never need to use my mac-10...... and I still able to get to the top of the scoreboard.

This is why I don't like Firebugs. On harder difficulties, if they wanna kill much, they burn through their ammo stupid fast. And if they just light 'em, they don't die before they're so close that someone else has to shoot them anyway, making the fire near pointless. In fact, it's blocking the team's Sharpshooter from seeing the Husks and Sirens (And sometimes even Scrakes) until they're dangerously close.

They only really sweep Clots, Crawlers, and Stalkers on HoE, and that's something that a skilled Commando is better at anyway.

Also, the MAC10's only real uses for me are: Killing Husks and using when I'm out of Flamethrower Ammo. I guess a bunch of people like it, and it can be fun sometimes, but honestly...getting Firebug from 5-6, even with the MAC10, was the most tedious, grind-like thing I've ever done on KF.

Upvote 0
Those who played KF longer are already used to the weapon slots, so they still click 1 to get chainsaw, still click 4 to get Mac10 etc.

I'll still do that absentmindedly a lot. If there's a lull in the action, I start cycling through my weapons/ quick-switching because of all my time on HL1 games. So waiting for the Patriarch to show up to our Chainsaw party I'll hit 1, wonder why I'm still holding my knife, then remember it's on 4 now. XD

Edit: That's what I get for making mmultiple posts with multiple windows open. I reply to something someone posted last month. <_<

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ {DMM}sgtfury, Lord Byte and The Root Of All Evil.

Play on Normal. You 3 obviously can't handle any sort of difficulty at all. So stay on Normal, where you belong.

Such politeness, so I shall reply.

Your signature speaks of your wonderful speed and your wonderful teammates who play with you all the time and probably can tell when each other is going to fart.

The rest of us...not so good. Some of us play on public servers with people who are new to the game and would like to learn how to play it. And are probably not level 6 in everything. So... if - on Normal - a team of level 5s are going down on wave 3 due to overcrowding...I think there's possibly a chance that things are a little tough.

If your team of buddies are looking for a harder challenge because with your ninja computers, ninja skills and ninja network you can take down a Fleshpound on HOE with a knife, then that's fine. But perhaps the idea of a game being commercially successful is that everyone can play it.

Like I said, I nearly clocked Evil Santa's Lair on Hard soloing as a Medic because they have two of the main three bonuses.

Kiting, Regeneration, but have minor weapon boosts. Now, any other class (apart from Zerk) only has one. You have one little lag spike or PB spawn and then you're taking heavy damage. If you can't recover from that quickly, you're dead. Medic can.

Perhaps if you weren't having problems with random spawns you wouldn't be posting "GET OUT NOOBS"?

@ RoAE
Aren't Firebugs immune to the Husk blasts? Why would they be crying? Just whip out your Mac10 and blast the f*cker in the face.
Don't seem to be. Mac'ing a Husk rips through your ammo though. Hard will take out a clip.
Why are Commandos giving up? Not enough Crawlers/ Gorefasts/ Stalkers/ Bloats to shoot at?
Lower damage than other classes, Perks less useful.
Berserker is a class that absolutely requires good situational awareness. If he sees a mob of crawlers hopping toward him, he should be competent enough to move back and whip out the 9mm/ lar or toss a nade. That's assuming there's no Firebug/ Demo/ Commando to help him.
LOS is a great thing, but if the Crawlers come from the ceiling and rake you on the way down, you're immediately melee frozen and damaged until you take them out with a downward strike.
As for the Sharpshooters, it's the m14 spamming, body-shotting ones that got "nut-crunched." The ones that take their time and aim for headshots seem to be doing ok.
Perhaps I was a little hasty on that, the Sharps at higher level do seem to be doing ok after a bit of re-adjustment. It's tough to get in new players though by telling them to aim. Spray and pray seems to be the entry level mechanic.

TL:DR; Smiff can have all the fun playing with his 'leet team, but it'll be an emptier server than if he played on Normal sometimes with group of Pubs. And that's not good for Tripwire.

Upvote 0