• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Makhnovo released

*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
By the way, that third screenie looks great - I may use that for the final release thread, if that's OK with you, Oi!Oi!Oi!

Sure, here's a bigger version.

makhno01.jpg

Upvote 0
This is a very fun map.

I wish the other custom maps that make it to pub servers were this good.

The fighting for the 2nd Cap point has been some of the toughest I have seen in any map.

The blue color of the 2nd cap point is a little too flourescent in my opnion, but other than that, a really, REALLY fun map.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
I have capped the third on a full server many a time - the only thing I have noticed is that the battle tends to finish when the Russians run out of re-inforcements.

If, by 'imbalance', you mean, "takes longer for attackers to reach than it does defenders" then it is imbalanced, as is nearly every other map's last objective.

Sorry if i am starting to come across as a bit combative about criticisms of this map, be they constructive or not, but I am getting to the point where I care more about my next project than I do about this one and I just want it out of the way. This is particularly the case as it seems that there will always be something about it that someone, somewhere doesn't like.

I like this level as it is laid out now. I

Upvote 0
Chernuk said:

yikes, sorry for the long post.

It was worth reading.

I too like the map the way it is (some doors are difficult to get thru...), the slight hill (or trees) between the Poshta and the German Spawn are a novel idea.

In any case, if no more changes were made, I would still play and enjoy the map. So don't worry about it and have a good trip!

Upvote 0
I love this map. I like it so much i'd like to make some suggestions.

First time I played the map I was confused as to where the Germans actually came from. So I could end up in completly the wrong place. I don't know what you want to do about this, but it would help some of those lesser minded individuals.

I think the concept is excellent. Germans being mobile - excellent. I'd like to see a few panzerfausts around. Lets face it - they are difficult to hit anything with. Yes I understand this makes things harder for the Germans, But a Panzerfaust spawning at the church isn't going to hurt.

The biggie: I'd like to see as many cap zones as you can fit in. e.g. The battle can be fought house to house.
I'd like to see the current state of the battle on the map, so I can see roughly where the front line is. This also allows the russians to use "militant" tactics when defending an area. Upon the capture of the Railstation and Poshta- perhaps allow german respawn at the barn?

Regarding the above point - those half tracks are tough to defend against. If you managed to get the entire german team to stick about and jump in half tracks, and all ride to the same CP - that CP would fall no matter what. I've seen some impressive assaults by germans in half tracks - on public servers - which is great. But thats not how taking a village works.. you can't half track raid a few buildings and you've won, they should get bogged down and have to fight a tough guerilla tactic style war, which is where a lot of CP's would come in handy... Fighting house to house - from Vaselli's house to Victors house.. with CP's for both, I'm not sure what the CP limit is?

The mechanics of these CP's should be editable? So you could allow a CP to take 20 seconds to capture with 1 person? This would allow for not only a mobile assault on the strong holds, but also a grinding insurgent war for the rest of the CP's, which not only would aid the russians, but also allow the battle to flow coherantly...

Let me know what you think.. I love your map..

And I relise that one of your houses names "novogravo"(or similar spelling) takes inspiration from some of the ofp islands :) Great game.

Upvote 0
NP - let me know when it's up; I fancy chilling on that map and not running around looking for terrain glitches etc. :D
in being aware of the danger, that lots of people, who are noticyng, while reading this ,, - my note here, wich has the topic:
" l seem beeing an unable guy in helping myself and handling in cyberspace, where l am
, since more or less already a decade now! to open the file-form of this nestor_chard"!?
some of you might say that little time only!?(in cyber)

But how do l have to handle, exaccly said; how to open your map, what strange kind of file did l download ?
Can someone, best 'd be nestor himself! helpme , in offering a hint for example, so that my unimportant and humble person , - too!! has the possibility to enjoy the map.

Bertie.

Upvote 0
NP - let me know when it's up; I fancy chilling on that map and not running around looking for terrain glitches etc. :D
in being aware of the danger, that lots of people, who are noticyng, while reading this ,, - my note here, wich has the topic:
" l seem beeing an unable guy in helping myself and handling in cyberspace, where l am
, since more or less already a decade now! to open the file-form of this nestor_chard"!?
some of you might say that little time only!?(in cyber)

But how do l have to handle, exaccly said; how to open your map, what strange kind of file did l download ?
Can someone, best 'd be nestor himself! helpme , in offering a hint for example, so that my unimportant and humble person , - too!! has the possibility to enjoy the map.

Bertie.

Upvote 0
I encountered very serious exploit just few minutes ago in wild bunch server.
Playerd called "smiff" glitched under ground texture with half-track, not just once. He could shoot anybody from down under. I switched team, killed my self and took few screenshots being spectator (unfortunately server didn't support full spectating so I had very limited time).

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~simo/RO/makhnovo/Shot00078.jpg

I presume using this kind of exploit, many times is considered cheating? is the mysterious long number from listplayers some kind of valve id for player(s)? (I wrote it up)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many thanks for the PM Drude.
The use of map exploits is just another form of cheating and thanks to honest and conscientious players like Drude this particular player has earned himself a permenant ban from The Wild Bunch server.

I would encourage all players who wish to keep RO as cheatfree as possible to take similar action to Drude.
If you see cheating going on then take screen shots and contact that particular servers admin or post it here on these forums.

With everyones help we can try to keep this game as clean as possible.

Upvote 0
I do not view wire-walking as a cheat. I was aware of it from day one - typical RO players - as soon as an alpha version is released they find 'exploits' like this. It just seemed so cool and, frankly, so insanely dangerous to do that I left it in.

I say dangerous to do because the player on the wire is very exposed. Even his own team-mates are going to have a really hard time resisting the urge to pick him off that wire with a well placed rifleshot. (I know I do)

As regards the bug for getting under the terrain I have absolutely no idea how that was done - perhaps you could pm me the details and I will pass them on to Grobut, who is putting bots on the map, so that we can collaborate on getting rid of that particular possibility of cheating.

Upvote 0
Great map, I love it. Takes a good amount of coordination and good use of the half tracks.

I have a couple of observations....

The Station seems to be the hardest to cap. Against an agressive Russian team it's nearly impossible.

The cap zone needs to be bigger OR it needs to speed up a bit. After an assault, you end up with 1 - 3 Germans remaining to cap the Station, usually resulting in the Russians getting killed around the same point. The Russians spawn right across the tracks and return quckly en masse and because of the small cap zone it's nearly impossible to defend and it takes FOREVER. The Germans spawn near the poshta, almost always without a half-track and takes nearly twice as long to reinforce the postion. If they have to run up as a group, the Russian are back in the same position they were in the initial assault.

I was the Squad leader and had two guys with me with no Russians in the cap zone and it was creeping along. The map seems to stall on this cap zone 90% of the time.

What is the deal with those low ground dark green bushes? When you try to move through them, you get caught up like you are moving through molassas.

Upvote 0
I was trying to make the bushes slow down anyone that moves through them like a bush would in RL. I also wanted to tie hedgecrawling to a rustling sound effect but that didn't pan out as the terrain surface noises (the only way to get sounds to consistenetly match player moevement) are to a great extent hard-coded into the game.

The upstairs room is slow. In my experience a successful assault on the station requires a co-ordinated 4-5 man squad getting into the building and up the stairs ASAP and another detachment slowing down reinforcements - preferably with the use of the HT machine gun spraying the allies as they come out from behind the wall that protects their spawn.

Mebbe Grobut could tweak that a little.

Personally, I think that unless you play tactically and get teams that like matching various ploys and tactical ruses against each other this map is just too long not to get a bit stale after the first round.

I am toying with the idea of going to the other extreme with Pripyat - 16 reinforcements per side (yep, that means no respawn for anyone on a full server!) - the games will be short and furious I hope.

Upvote 0
The upstairs room is slow. In my experience a successful assault on the station requires a co-ordinated 4-5 man squad getting into the building and up the stairs ASAP and another detachment slowing down reinforcements - preferably with the use of the HT machine gun spraying the allies as they come out from behind the wall that protects their spawn.

Mebbe Grobut could tweak that a little.

The biggest problem with this is that you can't stay in the cap zone and recon or put effective fire on reinforcements.

As a field commander, if I knew I had to control the station, I'd clear the upstairs then cover the entrances against counterattacks. This is impossible the way the map is laid out.

Upvote 0