• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Makhnovo released

Thanks for the reply Nestor... it's a fantastic looking map. One can tell alot of work went into it. I'm personally looking forward to your tweaks, and a big battle at the Church! :D

as an aside... in the Church, there is a ladder that appears to go up into the bell tower, or upper floor, however you cant actually make it all the way up there. Is there any plan to make an upper area with maybe a window for sniping or a lookout?

Upvote 0
Trouble is that subtracting BSP's up there makes the situation more npt less complex - it's worth a try but, given some of the feedback I've been getting (in particular from the GS server) making things easier for the Russians to defend would probably be a backwards step in terms of gameplay.

I must say, though, that I have seen plenty of teamwork by axis to get to and secure the first objective but I have yet to see any evidence of co-ordinated effort in the taking of the second.

I think that this may be because, by that stage, the axis are all spread out all over the place and find it very hard to rally themselves. Needs investigation. One possible solution is to move the allied spawn further back.

Upvote 0
I really like this map, and its fun to play, but if at some point you decide to add or alter the map a bit....

A couple of the huts are difficult or impossible to enter. It almost seems as if there are walls there instead of doorways. In one, you cannot get up the steps because the floor extends out over the steps.

------------------

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to your next map!

Upvote 0
I like this map a lot, except for one thing.

The Germans really need more halftracks. Since the Halftrack is the primary method of getting to the battle, there needs to be some way to ENSURE that there will be a halftrack for newly spawning players.

Right now, it seems that the norm is for all of the players to pile in a HT, drive it to the battle, and then abandon it. This leaves the remaining players who spawn high and dry.

One possible solution is to simply give the German players access to a BUNCH of HTs, though this could be abused.

My general feeling about this map is that it is extremely hard... for both sides! It is ridiculously difficult for the Germans to cap, and yet they have a lot more reinforcements, so it's difficult for the Russians to win.

Most of the time I've played this map, it's come down to reinforcements being the deciding issue. I would say that a fix for this would be to raise the # of reinforcements for BOTH sides so that the time limit and capping of objectives becomes more of a factor.

(I think I've seen the Germans cap the Church ONCE).

Upvote 0
To Rameus, Schimpf and Moe.

Much against my better judgement and with the encouragement of Witzig's help on optimisation I have decided to re-release Makhnovo as Makhnovo_Village this Saturday.

It will have more reinf's especially for the allies. It will be somewhat optimised. The buildings will have doors and ladders fixed (though you will have to crouch, or even prone to get up some ladders).

I will add an extra route into the station T.O.

There will be no extra HT's - the axis learn to play co-operatively, waiting for a full load and doing taxi runs, or they die, - simple as that. This game needs a little nudge away from the 'CS:S-ness' that certain maps tend to encourage and I want my map to be part of that trend.

I will prolly dress up the church a bit but the tower will never be a usable option (unless some kind soul wants to turn the whole thing into a smesh for me).

Upvote 0
Nestor you should release the map as a Beta and leave it like that for a long time, say a month. Then after a month you can come back to it and see if it needs any changes, if not then change the name to RO-Makhnovo. If you do this then you won't feel rushed to get a final version out only to replace it and change the map name within a week. I did the same thing on my first map. :eek:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips guys - this is my first major mapping undertaking of any kind (an OFP map and half a R6:UO map about 5 years ago don't really count)

The main reason for the rush in getting something out with a 'final' seal on it is that I need to focus more on the Red Star, Black Cross work.

So I trotted this one out as a final, partly because I was getting really bored of looking at it after 6 weeks and partly with the hope that calling it 'final' would make it true.

Having already put out at least 4 betas, I thought there would be diminishing returns in terms of getting the map played if it was just one new beta after another.

As it is, I am relatively satisfied that the gameplay issues have been addressed and that, short of a total rebuild, there isn't much I can do to tweak it any further.

The version I put out on Saturday WILL be the final one and it will be called Makhnovo_village.

Future maps (i.e. RSBC stuff I am helping with) are going to have the bollocks tested out of them by large groups of players before even a beta release.

Lessons have been learnt.

Upvote 0
Nice map, can be really nice if you clean up the bad terrain, floating stuff, houses with terrain holes under them, smooth out the roads a bit, etc. Really an interesting map but the obvious sight bugs really detract from it. Not sure if you got all of those cleared up, if so, I apologize. I would much rather mention it and ask you to take an extra week to make sure you catch every bug you can. A 'final' isn't worth half the value when it's rushed. Take your time. Remember that your first map is your first impression. You might be a great guy with lots to offer, but are you going to meet a girls parents for the first time in ratty shorts, hole-filled T-shirt, unshowered and looking as if you just rolled out of bed? Nope. Love that map. Make it as solid as you can.

Words of wisdom for an old mapper, new game. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the map man.

Just one thing: make sure you have location zones on the map and all. So many custom maps don't have this.

What I mean is when you ask for support via voice commands, your location shows:

Odessa
Ivan: need support at <tower>!

I don't know if your map has this, just saying. It's always nice to see real polish. Another thing often neglected are ammo boxes(haven't checked this either).

Upvote 0
Nestor, you were in the same game like me last night.
You witnessed the germans win: they capped the church really fast.
This might be a bit too easy for them, 1 mg prohibited the sovjets to arrive on the object area. There is no back entrance to the church and thus no alternative route for them to enter the capping zone. You might want to look into that.

Another thing I noticed when driving the HT: there are so many fences around the first objective. This means that the unloading areas for the HT become somewhat predictable. I'm almost sure that on a 32 player server unloading the HT is suicide. I didn't play it yet with 32 players for several rounds, but it still seems a large bottleneck.

About making a map final.
Sasquatch has perfected his maps over and over and over again. I believe the first playable version of Kaukasus is more then 2 years old. So when is a map final ? It might be never, as long as the game keeps developing maps might need adjustments for the new gameplay elements.

Monk.

ps don't burp so much on teamchannel silly boy

Upvote 0