• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reasonable weapon/class upgrades

Hmm the mp40 II was actually tested in 1942 so it could possibly make it ingame. A fun fact of the mp41 is that it actually had a fire selector switch to fire single shots. PPSH could perhaps see versions with and without the fire selector switch.

I dont like any sort of permanent leveling, upgrades, perks - ie. advantages - in a player vs player game.
Gaming was fine for years without it, why do so many games now need a system that further helps more experienced players?

I'm not really a big fan of it either, and do not need it. But since things are going to be in such as different scopes for the K98 its reasonable to assume that other weapons will have abilities as well.

hence the the discussion about what reasonable upgrades would be for other weaponry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Leveling is the worst thing to ever happen to shooters, just keep soldiers ruggedness and weapons based off of the time, unit, and class....
If you want to have only 5 servers remaining, 4 of them sniper-only servers, after 2 years like with RO:O, sure, then let's not include it. But we're in 2010, customization & leveling are standard for any mp game and its adds more replay value & motivation.

Upvote 0
Better camouflage is just as unbalanced as upgrading weaponry or personal stats. Whether you can shoot better, or whether you are harder to see both gives you an advantage. I believe servers can turn it off anyway, but its something we just have to accept.

So we will probably see updates for weapons, but within a realistic sense.
Not necessarily true, since you are basing weapon advatages on clothing advantages, but clothing advantages (obtaining better camo) was never even confirmed or talked about from the dev team, only that they would look more gritty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want to have only 5 servers remaining, 4 of them sniper-only servers, after 2 years like with RO:O, sure, then let's not include it. But we're in 2010, customization & leveling are standard for any mp game and its adds more replay value & motivation.

I for one don't think leveling would bring more people to RO:O.

Customization and leveling might however make people to play a game until they have unlocked most of the crap just so they get a chance to test to play it on equal terms with other players.

I like however stats toplist etc. Hope it exists a good one for RO:HOS and that it works on servers with disabled perks/a different scoreboard.

Upvote 0
Perks and Levelling are great for Pub servers and E-peen...But I miss the days of the old Clan scrim/War ladder comps (CoDV, UO, BFV and 2, DODs etc). When one Clan challanges another on a level playing field (the best against the best) without altering this and doing that just to make it happen.
Hopefully TWI have realised this and will make it a lot easier to allow those glory days of online PC gaming happen again.
This will prove to be the bench mark of a truely great Online PC game.

Upvote 0
the one thing call of duty 4 did so well that made its multiplayer so balanced was the fact that there were balanced weapons. how you ask well simply the starting weapons you got in each class were just as good or better than any of your unlocks this balanced out the whole unlock system. :D just do it more or less like that. secondly for this game i stress the need of some kinds of unlock or achievement type thing as obviously if your working towards something your more inclined to play the game meaning that for a longer period of time you play the game meaning the servers will stay full longer and in short through a long complicated process twi makes more money.

edit: what the &^$* how did perks get into the equation. no perks thats well you know arcadey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
Hmmm.......

How about some muzzle flash hiders for SVT40 ?

cod5_weapon_svt40_flash.jpg

or silincer for Gewehr43

cod5_weapon_gewehr43_silenced.jpg

or telescopic sight for STG44

cod5_weapon_stg44_scoped.jpg

or aperture sight for PPSH

cod5_weapon_ppsh_aperture.jpg

And also some cool perks:

Vehicle perks:

Dexterity - sleight of hand

Greased bearings - speeds up rotation of tank's main cannon

Ordinance Training - boosts firing rate of main tank cannon

Water Cooler - slows overheating of tank's machine gun

Lead Foot - Boosts tank movement speed

Weapon perks
:

Juggernaught - Extra Health
Martydom - Drop a live Grenade when you die
Flammenwerfer 35 - flamethrower
M9 Bazooka - ZOOKA!
Pyromaniac - Like Sonic Boom, this perk boosts the damage caused by Molotov Cocktails and the Flamethrower
Satchel Charge - WWII equivelent of the C4
Bouncing Betty - WWII equivelent of the Claymore
Shades - WWII equivelent of the Flasbang
Gas Mask - protects you from the effects of Turban Nurve Gas (a new grenade type in WaW)
Second Chance - Just like Last Stand, When you've been shot you drop to the ground armed only with your pistol to give you a few seconds to take out any enemy before you bleed out. If a team-mate also has second Chance he can revive you
Fire Proof - Protects you from the Flamethrower & Molotov Cocktail
Dexterety - Lets you reload, arm Bouncing Bettys & prep Molotov Cocktails quicker than normal

etc.

:D:IS2:

90193.jpg

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
And also some cool perks:

Weapon perks:

Juggernaught - Extra Health
Martydom - Drop a live Grenade when you die
Flammenwerfer 35 - flamethrower
M9 Bazooka - ZOOKA!
Pyromaniac - Like Sonic Boom, this perk boosts the damage caused by Molotov Cocktails and the Flamethrower
Satchel Charge - WWII equivelent of the C4
Bouncing Betty - WWII equivelent of the Claymore
Shades - WWII equivelent of the Flasbang
Gas Mask - protects you from the effects of Turban Nurve Gas (a new grenade type in WaW)
Second Chance - Just like Last Stand, When you've been shot you drop to the ground armed only with your pistol to give you a few seconds to take out any enemy before you bleed out. If a team-mate also has second Chance he can revive you
Fire Proof - Protects you from the Flamethrower & Molotov Cocktail
Dexterety - Lets you reload, arm Bouncing Bettys & prep Molotov Cocktails quicker than normal

etc.

:D:IS2:

This isn't CoD...

Upvote 0
Not necessarily true, since you are basing weapon advatages on clothing advantages, but clothing advantages (obtaining better camo) was never even confirmed or talked about from the dev team, only that they would look more gritty.

I'm talking about the comment by Senseman that doesn't want any advantages in the sense of weaponry but would like white pants and white helmets. In a snow map having white clothing does equal camouflage.

The devs haven't stated a lot regarding customization in clothing however they have stated there will be customization in weaponry. With the sniper being able to use 4 scope types. Which lead me to suspect that there would be more weaponry getting possible upgrades, which led me to this thread.

Upvote 0
iagree with Sensemann "I am totally against any weapon unlocks or upgrades. This will only lead to players complaining about having disadvantages.
Unlocks I could think of are:
Changing helmets (from green to white)
Trousers from (green to white or flecktarn)
Winter-jackets (again in white or other colors)

Simply put: Unlocks should only be visible but not affecting gameplay imo"

why do u wanna unlock stuff? like drum's for different guns.. please!! stupied ideas

Upvote 0
why do u wanna unlock stuff? like drum's for different guns.. please!! stupied ideas
Because it keeps people of the 21st century playing their videogames. Of course the game itself should offer enough to keep people playing(and I still have phases like twice a year where I play RO constantly for 2 weeks), but customization offers more variety, gives more motivation to keep playing and offers room for small DLC. And of course it should've give anyone huge advantages, but except for cosmetic stuff like maybe uniforms there definitely has to be a small charm to it, like the advanced K98 scopes.

Upvote 0
I'm all for unlockable bits and bobs... providing they add a different flavour to the game without giving someone an advantage. Once unlocks start affecting game balance, things get retarded like in BF2.

As for the ppsh-41, a lot of people are calling for it to be given box mags instead of the drum. But at the timeframe the game will be set in, I'd imagine soldiers would be using the drums. The box mags only saw heavy use later in the war as I recall.

Upvote 0
Because it keeps people of the 21st century playing their videogames. Of course the game itself should offer enough to keep people playing(and I still have phases like twice a year where I play RO constantly for 2 weeks), but customization offers more variety, gives more motivation to keep playing and offers room for small DLC. And of course it should've give anyone huge advantages, but except for cosmetic stuff like maybe uniforms there definitely has to be a small charm to it, like the advanced K98 scopes.

Operant conditioning may be effective, and very easy to do aswell, hence it's popularity in games thease days, but it is a poor mans substitute for actual depth and challenge.

Upvote 0
Operant conditioning may be effective, and very easy to do aswell, hence it's popularity in games thease days, but it is a poor mans substitute for actual depth and challenge.
Back to the black & white thinking "everyone who doesn't like what I like is a dumb person with no brain" attitude, are we? :rolleyes:

Just because a game has customization doesn't make it bad at all. I played lots of BF1942 & BFV which both didn't have it and BF2 certainly wasn't dumbed down in terms of gameplay, same with CoD2 -> CoD4. If anything then the experiences have become more complex in those examples and that has pretty much nothing to do with customization, just as a game that's dumbed down isn't dumbed down to add customization.

TWI completely proves that point with HoS, which will obviously be the thinking mans' game, in black&white language.

Upvote 0
Oh, I remember making a post like this riiight after the interview where they confirmed that info.

Perks?----- Lol... no.

Leveling?----- Yeah, but not like CoD or any other game, this game be unique yo.

Atachments?----- Yeah, different magnifications for snipers. IMO that should be it. Nothing else at all.

You know why? Cause we don't need it. We don't need fancy shmancy upgrades, that's what Activision is for!! The snipers get different scopes because maybe all maps and areas aren't the same length, so maybe you can pick scopes acording to maps? x4 for smaller corridors, x8 for larger fields, etc.

I don't see why we need attachments (Although, I do love the PPSH drum idea ^_^) They are kinda pointless and just brings back ye old CoD memories.

Just magnification please.

Upvote 0