• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reasonable weapon/class upgrades

I'll grant you without any further combat that assault rifles are by far the most common standard issue firearm in modern militaries and insurgent forces, barring those few militaries using battle rifles like the FAL and the surplus crap still in circulation with insurgents.

But other stuff's out there, obv. All I meant to say.

That was exactly his point in the first place. :p

But even a FAL VS an M4 is not that big of a difference.

Nothing like a K98K VS and SVT-40, VS a PPSH-41.

Upvote 0
That was exactly his point in the first place. :p

But even a FAL VS an M4 is not that big of a difference.

Nothing like a K98K VS and SVT-40, VS a PPSH-41.

FAL/SVT-40:

7.62x51mm NATO
7.62x54mm R

20 rd box mag
10 rd box mag

semi automatic gas operation

8.5 pounds
8.5 pounds

43 inch overall length
48 inch overall length

2750 FPS muzzle velocity
2750 FPS

Virtually completely identical. They're both battle rifles.

Alternately, the M4 carbine:

5.56x45
30 rds
full auto gas
7 lbs fully loaded
33in length w/ 14.5 in barrel
2900 FPS

That's a significant difference. Not as much as an SVT vs PPSH but as significant if not much more than the SVT-Kar. Only really substantive diff between SVT and Kar is the cycling mechanism, the function and role of the rifle is the same (e.g. battle rifle). To put it bluntly seeing as an FN-FAL is virtually identical to an SVT you're looking at a difference more substantive than SVT-STG44 between FAL/M4. M4 is a carbine whereas STG wasn't, has significantly reduced weight (stg weighed 11 and a half lbs), and a dramatically different cartridge to the 7.92x33.

Upvote 0
FAL/SVT-40:

7.62x51mm NATO
7.62x54mm R

20 rd box mag
10 rd box mag

8.5 pounds
8.5 pounds

43 inch overall length
48 inch overall length

2750 FPS muzzle velocity
2750 FPS

Virtually completely identical. They're both battle rifles.

Alternately, the M4 carbine:

5.56x45
30 rds
full auto gas
7 lbs fully loaded
33in length w/ 14.5 in barrel
2900 FPS

That's a significant difference. Not as much as an SVT vs PPSH but as significant if not much more than the SVT-Kar. Only really substantive diff between SVT and Kar is the cycling mechanism, the function and role of the rifle is the same (e.g. battle rifle). To put it bluntly seeing as an FN-FAL is virtually identical to an SVT you're looking at a difference more substantive than SVT-STG44 between FAL/M4. M4 is a carbine whereas STG wasn't, has significantly reduced weight (stg weighed 11 and a half lbs), and a dramatically different cartridge to the 7.92x33.

But they give most soldiers assault rifles, battle rifles are mostly for specialized roles.

I imagine if their was an infantry map for a HoS MW mod a 32 player team would go like this....

1 platoon leader with assault rifle

3 squad leader with assault rifle

1 Light machine gunner with a true light machine gun

1 designated marksman

8 SAW gunners

2 guys with shotgun

4 riflemen with grenade launcher

12 riflemen

Thats probably around what it would be, so imagine we have 20 out of 32 guys with assault rifles, 8 guys with a lmg that fires a 5.56 and is used pretty much as an assault rifle, 2 guys with shotguns for CQB, a true lmg, and 1 "sniper".

Upvote 0
But they give most soldiers assault rifles, battle rifles are mostly for specialized roles.

I imagine if their was an infantry map for a HoS MW mod a 32 player team would go like this....

1 platoon leader with assault rifle

3 squad leader with assault rifle

1 Light machine gunner with a true light machine gun

1 designated marksman

8 SAW gunners

2 guys with shotgun

4 riflemen with grenade launcher

12 riflemen

Thats probably around what it would be, so imagine we have 20 out of 32 guys with assault rifles, 8 guys with a lmg that fires a 5.56 and is used pretty much as an assault rifle, 2 guys with shotguns for CQB, a true lmg, and 1 "sniper".

FN "right arm of the free world" FAL a "specialized role?"

Yeah, here's some "specialized" Jamaican soldiers, part of the elite battle rifle unit:

391px-FN_FAL_DA-SD-04-01067.jpg

Only a few Jamaican soldiers get these FN FALs, the rest get Colt M4s :p

The FN FAL is literally one of the most produced and most used standard issue firearms in history. Certainly moreso than the Colt M4.

You clearly don't understand the intention of the battle rifle. Battle rifle's are not intermingled with assault rifles. I don't know of a single instance of this taking place. The closest instance I know of (keep in mind I don't know a hell of a lot) would be the United States in Vietnam when we were phasing out the M-14 (also a battle rifle using the same cartridge) in favor of the M-16, but we all know how that went. Assault rifles replace battle rifles in standard usage. It was in the US military, when we realized after the fact that we should throw a scope on top of our M-14s and call them DMRs for mid-range engagements that we put battle rifles back in use.

No sir, the FN FAL as with most battle rifles is for standard issue.

But anyway, regarding your mockup of a "modern warfare" squad, I would appreciate if you didn't speculate. If you want to make a mockup try and make it actually informed on how modern militaries actually structure their squads instead of how you think they do.

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
whoa why all the hate its just an idea. however in reality modern warfare requires a different system than a ww2 one because of the different types of guns. we have a few semi auto and mostly full auto weapons that being said it will require a different class system. (or at least modified heavily.)

Upvote 0
FN "right arm of the free world" FAL a "specialized role?"

Yeah, here's some "specialized" Jamaican soldiers, part of the elite battle rifle unit:

391px-FN_FAL_DA-SD-04-01067.jpg

Only a few Jamaican soldiers get these FN FALs, the rest get Colt M4s :p

The FN FAL is literally one of the most produced and most used standard issue firearms in history. Certainly moreso than the Colt M4.

You clearly don't understand the intention of the battle rifle. Battle rifle's are not intermingled with assault rifles. I don't know of a single instance of this taking place. The closest instance I know of (keep in mind I don't know a hell of a lot) would be the United States in Vietnam when we were phasing out the M-14 (also a battle rifle using the same cartridge) in favor of the M-16, but we all know how that went. Assault rifles replace battle rifles in standard usage. It was in the US military, when we realized after the fact that we should throw a scope on top of our M-14s and call them DMRs for mid-range engagements that we put battle rifles back in use.

No sir, the FN FAL as with most battle rifles is for standard issue.

But anyway, regarding your mockup of a "modern warfare" squad, I would appreciate if you didn't speculate. If you want to make a mockup try and make it actually informed on how modern militaries actually structure their squads instead of how you think they do.

How many major countries still use it as their standard rifle? We're talking about MW not the Cold war.

ALSO my "mockuo of a modern warfare squad is based partly on reality and partly on HoS player limits....

To make it as realistic and balanced s possible with 32 players, it would have two full 13 man squads, and then 6 more players for the commander and specialized roles, squads would be broke down into fireteams allowing for further chain of command, and each squad realistically would have a saw and grenade launcher, so thats ALOT of firepower, not to mention most of these guns would have optics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How many major countries still use it as their standard rifle? We're talking about MW not the Cold war.

None that I know of. Then again I don't have a list. Go look it up if you care to find out.

ALSO my "mockuo of a modern warfare squad is based partly on reality and partly on HoS player limits....

What do you base the reality part on? Is there some squad comp you're basing these numbers on?

Upvote 0
Well, let me try and pick up on a few points... :)

1. Silencers: very unlikely - this is "realistic" 1940s-era combat. Pretty much zero use of silencers in the front lines. One might creep in as something like a very specific add-on. But why would people want them anyway?

This gives another hint making it more feasible that weapon upgrades beyond the snipers scopes will see its life in the game.

Although it's highly unlikely to see silencers, if its actually a slight possibility then, there is likely a big possibility for reasonable updates for other non sniper weaponry.

Upvote 0