• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reasonable weapon/class upgrades

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
We already know that the sniper will be able to get scopes of different magnifications.

What do you think are reasonable "upgrades" for other classes?
Here some of my thoughts.

ppsh, by default people were issued with 1 drum and some sticks, the more experienced players perhaps would get the ability to carry more drums with them.

k98, by default you have a sight hood it would be nice if you could remove it throughout the game.

mg34, you will probably start off with the drum mag with the mg34, it would be nice if you could "earn" the ability to use belts.

I can't think of many others so lets think of what would be reasonable updates or changes that won't cripple a new player so the say.

Hmmm.......

How about some muzzle flash hiders for SVT40 ?

cod5_weapon_svt40_flash.jpg

or silincer for Gewehr43

cod5_weapon_gewehr43_silenced.jpg

or telescopic sight for STG44

cod5_weapon_stg44_scoped.jpg

or aperture sight for PPSH

cod5_weapon_ppsh_aperture.jpg

And also some cool perks:

Vehicle perks:

Dexterity - sleight of hand

Greased bearings - speeds up rotation of tank's main cannon

Ordinance Training - boosts firing rate of main tank cannon

Water Cooler - slows overheating of tank's machine gun

Lead Foot - Boosts tank movement speed

Weapon perks
:

Juggernaught - Extra Health
Martydom - Drop a live Grenade when you die
Flammenwerfer 35 - flamethrower
M9 Bazooka - ZOOKA!
Pyromaniac - Like Sonic Boom, this perk boosts the damage caused by Molotov Cocktails and the Flamethrower
Satchel Charge - WWII equivelent of the C4
Bouncing Betty - WWII equivelent of the Claymore
Shades - WWII equivelent of the Flasbang
Gas Mask - protects you from the effects of Turban Nurve Gas (a new grenade type in WaW)
Second Chance - Just like Last Stand, When you've been shot you drop to the ground armed only with your pistol to give you a few seconds to take out any enemy before you bleed out. If a team-mate also has second Chance he can revive you
Fire Proof - Protects you from the Flamethrower & Molotov Cocktail
Dexterety - Lets you reload, arm Bouncing Bettys & prep Molotov Cocktails quicker than normal

etc.

:D:IS2:

Upvote 0
Ability to remove the sight hood & as seen in some videos I believe the game will feature the rifle grenade attachment. (as long as the time of setting the weapon up for rifle grenades is realistic I won't have an issue with it).
Removing the sight hood would be pointless and I doubt you'd just do that in battle. If there are unlocks then real stuff that has more of an impact. FInding those isnt easy tho

Upvote 0
Removing the sight hood would be pointless and I doubt you'd just do that in battle. If there are unlocks then real stuff that has more of an impact. FInding those isnt easy tho

This has been gone over countless times in the past but, again, how is altering the sight which for RO riflemen is the single most important piece of their weapon, pointless? Of course adding this feature is not as important as many other features of the game but pointless? Hardly.

Upvote 0
I thought as you progress you only gain in "abilities". Nothing about weapon attachments or enhancements were made in the fact thread. Also the only thing in the fact thread mentioned about weapons in relation to as you progress, is once Hero status is reached then you get rare weapons. Again nothing said about enhancing them in anyway, like putting a bunch of bullsh** on them.

"Grow in rank, earn medals, improve your abilities, and become a Hero"

"Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers."

Upvote 0
I think PPsh start with 35-round mag, then you would get 71-round drum mag.

MP-40 will get MP-40/II version with two side by side 32-round magazines.

PTRD would get PTRS, semi automatic version. Or maybe that's gonna be unlock for Hero only.

PD (Degtyaryov MG) with 47-round Pan mag as default and 30-round overhead mag as unclock.
What the hell is this?!?! Call of Duty: Word at War????

Reactions: nath2009uk
Upvote 0
I am totally against any weapon unlocks or upgrades. This will only lead to players complaining about having disadvantages.
Unlocks I could think of are:
Changing helmets (from green to white)
Trousers from (green to white or flecktarn)
Winter-jackets (again in white or other colors)

Simply put: Unlocks should only be visible but not affecting gameplay imo

Upvote 0
Better camouflage is just as unbalanced as upgrading weaponry or personal stats. Whether you can shoot better, or whether you are harder to see both gives you an advantage. I believe servers can turn it off anyway, but its something we just have to accept.

So we will probably see updates for weapons, but within a realistic sense. Aka red dot sights are out of the question. And I doubt we'd see the mp40 II. But a 1.5x zoom for the mkb42 or semi auto rifles might not be that weird.

The same with different types of magazines. I do not know if for the AVT there existed bigger magazines but that would seem to be a logical update. Similar would be starting out with a PPSH with magazines and switching to a drum. Or with the mp40 perhaps being able to use the mp41 with fixed wooden stock.

Removing the sight hood was actually done in battle. The advantage is that it gives a more clear sight picture without the hood blocking your view. The disadvantage is that you don't have the hood protecting your front sight any more. Since the RO mod didn't have the sight hood a lot of people grew fond of not having it.

If anything removing the sight hood is exactly the kind of weapon updates that I would prefer, it doesn't give any real big disadvantage or advantage but allows you to tweak a weapon a bit to your preference. Another thing is perhaps the ability to pick a K98 with different rear sights as there were multiple versions on the battlefield.

Last edited:
Upvote 0