• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
I had big performance problems, but I don't think I'd be playing it even if my computer somehow got 200fps with full quality.

My big beef is this:
It's a game, a game-y game. You've got a game named after the insurgency in Iraq, which is notably characterized by an abject lack of squad-on-squad combat; has almost never had that type of combat; and features plenty of civilians mixed in with people who may or may not be insurgents themselves, or supporters. None of that context takes place in the game, which makes it kinda like all the bad things that were ever said about Counterstrike, and just an electronic version of the "Cowboys and Indians" most Americans played as a kid.

It's tough for me to picture how a game with such a misconceived or -executed outline could ever become at all immersive, any more than pointing a finger at your cousin and yelling "bang bang" is immersive without a big dose of imagination.

I don't want to be treated like a kid.

Upvote 0
My big beef is this:
It's a game, a game-y game. You've got a game named after the insurgency in Iraq, which is notably characterized by an abject lack of squad-on-squad combat; has almost never had that type of combat; and features plenty of civilians mixed in with people who may or may not be insurgents themselves, or supporters. None of that context takes place in the game, which makes it kinda like all the bad things that were ever said about Counterstrike
I would suggest that it may improve. While I hate the fanboys saying this, it technically is only a first beta and there's plenty of time for it to evolve. This is what happens though when you push it this far without community input, because by the time you let anyone play it, there's a whole lot more bugs in place and gameplay has had a lot more time spent on it, thus being less likely to change, regardless of public opinion come release time.

That said, if they get enough pressure then they may relent and change things and certainly they'll have to tighten up the whole gameplay mechanic. It isn't even complete yet, so I don't want to hear any cries of "don't change a thing!"

Honestly, the reason most people are so critical is because regardless of label, this really isn't beta 1. Yes, I know it says it is and yes, it's the first time they've released it to the public, but they've been beta testing for the last three years and the current stage of development is about equal with CS Beta 6. Except that CS had been shaped and tested by the community, this hasn't. Mods need community support and input to survive, hence the traditional model of releasing new updates in small stages. By removing such a major factor for so long, they've really backed themselves into a corner. Do they press on and ignore criticisms and suggestions or do they throw away years of work to make changes based on what players actually want? The longer you leave it, the worse it gets and as we all know, they've left it a hell of a long time.

Upvote 0
The INS forums drive me crazy... half the threads there complain that the game is "too realistic". It feels pretty arcadish to me- it just has some "fun" elements like no death messages and iron sights.

Why do people assume that "realistic" can't be fun? I enjoy playing the game because its fast paced and arcadey- and I consider the "realistic" features fun. I certainly don't play it because its a full on simulation of urban insurgent warfare...

It irks me when people complain and say "you need to make the game more like BF2, or DODS, or CSS, etc". Ugh, i'm glad RO turned out the way it did- I certainly remember the forums during the beta days when people screamed for a DOD or COD clone.

Upvote 0
Wow I just read some threads on their forums. Those Devs are sure full of themselves. What a turn off. They sound almost childish.

I'll check it out when it's out of beta, the bugs and repeative choke points get old quick.

^ ^ ^

Out of beta? RO was in 'beta' for 4+ years...

Then by comparison INS will be in beta for 12 years

Upvote 0
I would suggest that it may improve. While I hate the fanboys saying this, it technically is only a first beta and there's plenty of time for it to evolve.

Oh, I'm sure developers can continue to improve the game from a technical standpoint, and it looked as if it has plenty of promise from that area.

My beef was more with the concept, which seems to limit the game to unrealistic and non-immersive scenarios. The kinds of fighting seen in "Insurgency" are not the kinds of fighting in an insurgency, and particularly the kinds not seen in Iraq. There simply are not squad-on-squad, fight-to-the-death actions occurring as they are in the game. The game is more like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Lots of people liked Enemy Territory, and I'm glad they found something they liked. Lots of people will probably really enjoy Insurgency.

Upvote 0
because no game has managed to implement vehicles in a successful manor that doesn't ruin the game play.

More opinion. I much prefer RO with vehicles. I love how the vehicles add another dimension of gameplay and warfare.

Battlefield 2 and the Battlefield series would also be extremely flat, unsuccessful games without vehicles.

Granted, vehicles, if poorly implemented, can be a bad thing. The vehicles in CoD:UO weren't that great (mostly due to their ease of use and whatnot).

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the anti-vehicle crowd are the same people who believe that anything other than bolt-action rifles are detrimental to gameplay.

Upvote 0
Funny thing happening the other day on a server in INS.
First there was this asshat who insisted on yelling INS ALLAH over VoIP constantly, even on the american team lol. It's kinda like the 'heil hitler'-persons in RO i see at times.

But for the funny thing:
there was this 12 year old kid, on the insurgent side, using the public channel for requesting backup with his mic.
"all iraqi's follow me!"
Then you heard an old guy: "Never!" "You must be 18 or over to command!"
I'm like, LOL!

Kinda reminded me of Duke Nukem Manhattan Project where Duke would say things like, 'you must be 18 or over to ride!" when he frees chicks from GLOB bombs or whatever :p

As for the game itself, it feels rather arcadish. I think it's mostly due to the maps, wich feel like DoD:S at times (I'm looking at you Almaden!).
Sinjar is actually a nice map IMO, it kinda reminds me of Kaukasus at the beginning.
The bigger urban maps are the best, because there is more player movement possible.
Haditha sucks utter balls. The moment you run out of your spawnpoint, your basically allready spawncamping the enemy. To small, and not enough roads to flank or move etc. There are like 3 roads only, and with teamsizes as they are mostly (20 persons) on such a small map, you cant cross a corner without dying, or you are easily keeping others from crossing lol.

One thing i DO like about Insurgency is the fact that there are no death messages, and points for kills on the scoreboard only show up when you've died and respawned. That way, you can never check and be sure of your kill, and it keeps you slightly more on an edge.

Oh, and bodies can pile up lol! :D

Upvote 0
I'm really enjoying this mod. It's pretty fast paced which makes people here seem to disregard it as being "arcadish," even though RO is just as fast paced...It has some nice features that RO could use, such as no death messages. Learning the maps is kind of hard, but that adds another dimesnion of fun.

Sniping feels so amazing in Insurgency, too. Even better than RO, which has been my favorite game to snipe people in til now.

Upvote 0