• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
One thing I don't like about INS is that the MGs dont automatically undeploy when you start moving. Of course being able to look over the ironsights rocks, and I hope RO will eventually incorporate this feature.

If anything, that's a positive feature. I'd have suggested it for RO, but I knew it would never be implemented so I'd be wasting my time making the suggestion.

Essentially, if you want to move, you don't need to undeploy/redeploy. Just grab the bipod, pick up the gun, and move it. Same goes for when firing from behind any kind of cover whether crouched or standing. In an emergency situation, you aren't going to take the time to undeploy your MG -- hell no! You pick it up and point it at whoever is trying to kill you. Simple really.

Also guys, lets try to remember that RO is not the epitome of realism.

Upvote 0
Also guys, lets try to remember that RO is not the epitome of realism.

Nope, its not, but TWI never claimed that it was, INS however did claim it was going to be the epitome of realism, that it was going to be so real, only enlisting and shipping off to Iraq would be more real! yeah.. now that might have been a little white lie eh? :D

And lest we forget, TWI takes flack over their tanks every day, new threads are still pouring in about how the tanks are screwed up, and this or that is

Upvote 0
Ok, lets take this one piece at a time. I'm not picking on you specifically SnotRocket, but your post pretty much sums up the main points being made by a few people and I figure it's as good as any to use as an example.

Wow a ton of people here really hate the INS team. Honestly this forum has gotten worse and worse over the years. If it isn't RO, it's FLAME TIME!!!!
You sound like KrazyKraut. We have a right to be critical of the game. It is not the be all and end all of games and it's certainly not worthy of the messianic status it's been given by certain members of the Ins boards. No-one here hates anyone, but at the same time we're not giving them a free pass. You of all people should know that the RO team copped just as much flak during RO's development. Even I know it and I've only been around since just prior to Beta 2. And lets not get started on the Ins boards. They're right up there with the CS boards for rabid fanboy population and crucifying the heathens who dare question the perfection of the "second coming".

SnotRocket said:
Really, grab an M4 (so you can see all around your point of aim) and fire just around a target. You'll notice that the hitboxes are very accurate and there is no issue with them.
If they're stationary, yeah. Hitboxes are great. As soon as they move though, it's on for young and old. The lag compensation skews the positioning and the boxes themselves start to overlap due to the movement. You stated in another post that shooting someone in the chest takes them down. Some of the time, yes. Plenty of times though, you'll shoot someone in the chest or head and nothing will happen. You can see players running around with bullet holes on the back of their heads, or over their hearts and yet they're happily running around like nothing's happened. This is a hitbox issue and it's inherent in all Source games. They chose to use the Source engine and now they'll have to deal with the side effects. Denying it sadly doesn't make it go away.

SnotRocket said:
And people here are complaining about the movement in INS? Have you EVER played RO? Due to the nature of the Unreal engine, the movement in RO is some of the clunkiest I've ever witnessed. INS feels much more like moving about in real life. I never have issues going where I want to go, and not feeling like a robot doing it.
RO doesn't feel clunky. A little unnatural perhaps, but smooth for all that. Ins movement IS clunky however due to a couple of bugs. Firstly, the size of the player's collision box is oversized, allowing a person to get stuck on objects they're not even close to, as well as to block a corridor that should be wide enough for three. Next, the lean doesn't perform a height check, so all it takes is a corpse on the ground or even a 5 unit high brush to block you from leaning. Third, the sprint key must be pressed after you're moving, otherwise it doesn't work. Not a big issue until you realise that sprint is interrupted by a perceived collision with anything, including a step and you have to re-press the button to continue. The result all this is a very clunky, jerky movement style that is quite disconcerting. The bugs are real and confirmed. Whether you choose to acknowledge them or not is up to you.

SnotRocket said:
And as to the suppressing fire issue, I think you must be the only person in the RO community who feels that it works. You seem to think the same actually, when you say that no one else uses suppressing fire. I've been here since beta 1.0, and I can tell you why no one uses it...

it doesn't work!

I can keep an area hosed with fire from an MG42, and a rifleman will simply duck behind cover, aim, pop up, and fire. Immediate accurate fire, and I'm dead. And if you think SMGs can do the job, you're insane. Trying to hose an area with a PPSH is impossible due to recoil, unless you are laying prone AND supported, it just isn't going to happen.
In RO, at the distances represented in Ins, supressing fire works. The furthest you're likely to engage anyone in Insurgency is 100m and that's only extreme instances. Usually it's 50m or less. Try supressing someone at that range and it works. People who stick their heads up lose them. In Ins however, I find it does nothing, as there's no way to know you're being shot at. The supersonic bullet sounds they added only seem to work when they're so close they've already hit you, but apart from that you honestly don't know someone's supressing you.

SnotRocket said:
Really people, grow up. Stop flaming this game because it isn't RO. I didn't like it during beta 1.0 due to the horrible FPS, crashing and TK issues, but with 1.1 the game feels good, plays smoothly, and has a fear of death unlike any other I've played (except maybe AA, but 10 minute rounds tend to do that). It isn't RO and that's fine, they are both enjoyable. I commend the INS team for releasing a high quality HL2 mod FINALLY, I've been waiting a long time for that.
As I mentioned already, we have better things to do than to hate on a game simply because it's not another game. Such a simplistic interpretation of our feelings makes no logical sense anyway. If we all hated it so much, we wouldn't play it would we? I wouldn't spend hours in game and on the forums attempting to recreate bugs and capture them in screenshots for the team to fix. The game has potential, but it's not there yet, not even close. The religious zeal that people seem to have when defending the game is astounding though. The ability to seemingly not notice or gloss over glaring problems is admirable, but it's also the equivalent of living in fairyland. If you really want to make the game as great as it potentially could be, then stop treating it as "perfect the way it is" and apply a critical eye for a moment. If no-one ever points out the flaws, they'll never be fixed and the game will fade back into obscurity, just like all the other high quality Source mods that have gone before (and yes, Ins is not the first Source mod with any sort of quality - try The Hidden: Source, Eternal Silence or Pirates, Vikings and Knights as examples).

Upvote 0
The mod sure has potential.
Right now I find it's quality and solutions not my kind of taste.
Too easy to kill and be killed, distances are promoting run&gun style on most maps (going into IS inside buildings = sure death, strafeshooting is far better), movement doesn't feel like walking but like floating, shooting into the cover you are behind while you are aiming elswhere etc etc etc.

W'll see what they can do the next few months.

Monk.

Upvote 0
REALLY looking forward to my HL2:ep1 copy that should be here by thursday and since RO is MY game (only MP game I ever played seriously) I can't wait to find out what's really up with INS!
You realise that Episode 1 is the expansion to HL2? You'll have to have HL2 on it's own for Insurgency to work.

Anyway, I find it funny that SnotRocket loves the movement in Insurgency, considering that for me it's the most unrealistic part of the entire game. I've been signed up to the Insurgency forums since 2004 and it's simply an average game.

Upvote 0
HL2 EP1 is completely stand alone though it is a follow on to hl2 you do not need hl2 to play it.

I can 100% confirm that you can play Ins with only ep1 installed.

Yes, one of the cool things is that when you have a Valve source engine game (thus enabling the SDK) you can use just about any source-engine mod. It's a nice touch on their (valve's) part.

Upvote 0
Insurgency Mod: so what's the verdict?

Insurgency Mod: so what's the verdict?

So I am reading the Insurgency thread and opinions seem to differ and the thread is pretty damn long so I thought a poll would be a good way to create a snapshot rather than have to read through all the feedback...I suppose I could just check it out myself, but that also takes a lot more effort...:)

Upvote 0
According to YOUR OPINION! This is my biggest issue with not only RO boards, but pretty much any FPS game board in existence. You don't need to shove your opinions of a game down on anyone else. Just because YOU feel that it is a buggy un-fun mod doesn't mean that everyone else does. In RO's first release, many more people found the mod boring and unplayable. For those who loved it, like myself, it was very annoying hearing them rant and rave, half the time without even playing it.

RO WAS bug-crazy during it's initial betas btw, and still has many unrealistic features. Angling a tank at a certain degree didn't result in invincibility in WWII.

So please, if you are wanting to try out the mod, just download it. Don't listen to what other people say, form your OWN opinions.

Upvote 0