• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
There's no hitbox problems that I've come across, and it all works as it should for me. Definitely no show stoppers. That supposedly realistic mod is really really ahead of RO in some points, and indeed gives "fear of death" much better than RO.

And yes, suppresing fire is really really working well. I don't think there's something called "suppressing fire" in RO, after exclusively MG'ing for years. It's more of a "pixel hunting", than true suppressive firing. RO rewards staying "silent" and picking off targets, rather than suppressing.

What I've seen in INS is, people on the other side developing tactics and trying to flank me to pass that street and getting casualties in doing it. Because getting into MG fire is dangerous. Crossing that street under fire is dangerous. If the same situation happened in RO, I would be dead in my fifth second in firing because an uber nade landed on top of my head or a pissed off riflemen decided to shoot me while I'm sending 20 bullets a second right at him. Just try to go across a main street in INS, I've never thinked that much in RO doing that.

Upvote 0
Yeah suppressive fire doesn't really work in RO. No matter how many bullets you fire at the target, there's always one enemy that picks you off with ease. But in INS the MGs are a lot more effective. Just today I was on the insurgent team, and I went prone on a roof with my RPK. I aimed at a small corridor, and I must've gotten like 10 kills before we bled down their reinforcements and won the round.

RO and INS are both quite realistic, but both in different ways.

Upvote 0
There's no hitbox problems that I've come across
Unless INS uses modified or fixed hitboxes and a different network scheme than DODS then yes it probably does have HUGE hitbox problems. Notice how many people are complaining about how easy it is to get kills? In DODS I could kill someone just by saying BANG in their general direction. Games of skill need to have accurate representation of precisely where your player is and hitboxes need to be precisely (or as close as possible) the same size as your character. It's just basic game mechanics. If those are flawed there's little point in proceeding with the rest.

Upvote 0
Yeah suppressive fire doesn't really work in RO. No matter how many bullets you fire at the target, there's always one enemy that picks you off with ease. But in INS the MGs are a lot more effective.
SMG's!! It's not just MG's responsibility. Most of my suppressive fire is done with SMG's. You'll see a deadlocked situation change on the rare occasion people finally realize that. I agree RO MG's aren't as scary and deadly as they should be and there is definite room for improvement but I can't say exactly what could be done since I'm really not qualified on what can or can't be done in the unreal engine or even idea wise, I don't have all the answers. That's why it's good for people to collaborate thoughts on a subject.

Upvote 0
Wow a ton of people here really hate the INS team. Honestly this forum has gotten worse and worse over the years. If it isn't RO, it's FLAME TIME!!!!

Really, grab an M4 (so you can see all around your point of aim) and fire just around a target. You'll notice that the hitboxes are very accurate and there is no issue with them. And people here are complaining about the movement in INS? Have you EVER played RO? Due to the nature of the Unreal engine, the movement in RO is some of the clunkiest I've ever witnessed. INS feels much more like moving about in real life. I never have issues going where I want to go, and not feeling like a robot doing it.

And as to the suppressing fire issue, I think you must be the only person in the RO community who feels that it works. You seem to think the same actually, when you say that no one else uses suppressing fire. I've been here since beta 1.0, and I can tell you why no one uses it...

it doesn't work!

I can keep an area hosed with fire from an MG42, and a rifleman will simply duck behind cover, aim, pop up, and fire. Immediate accurate fire, and I'm dead. And if you think SMGs can do the job, you're insane. Trying to hose an area with a PPSH is impossible due to recoil, unless you are laying prone AND supported, it just isn't going to happen.

Really people, grow up. Stop flaming this game because it isn't RO. I didn't like it during beta 1.0 due to the horrible FPS, crashing and TK issues, but with 1.1 the game feels good, plays smoothly, and has a fear of death unlike any other I've played (except maybe AA, but 10 minute rounds tend to do that). It isn't RO and that's fine, they are both enjoyable. I commend the INS team for releasing a high quality HL2 mod FINALLY, I've been waiting a long time for that.

Upvote 0
I don't think its the gun that makes so much difference..MG's in RO are great when shot in bursts. The difference is that in INS you know you will take time to get back into the action when you die (no instant respawn like in RO so people don't do as many kamikaze attacks) + theres no nade spam + its at shorter range + theres far fewer routes to the cap zones. Its also harder to see people in ins from my experience because the models are camouflaged better and theres more detail in the graphics generally.

And re hitboxes..theres currently an issue similar to the old left lean problem in RO, but MUCH worse. The actual hitboxes seem fine to me..as long as you can see the guy :D

Upvote 0
The main reason there is no suppression in RO from the MGs is because most people using MGs have no idea what they're doing. To properly suppress an area you need to make sure it's not too big, but people always set up on a window overlooking an entire street. Well duh yeah you're going to get shot down, and I'm sure that's what happened IRL to overly gung-ho MG crews.

Camping (erm tactical positioning) a street or corridor with a limited range of fire will give excellent results in RO.

One thing I don't like about INS is that the MGs dont automatically undeploy when you start moving. Of course being able to look over the ironsights rocks, and I hope RO will eventually incorporate this feature.

Upvote 0
Wow a ton of people here really hate the INS team. Honestly this forum has gotten worse and worse over the years. If it isn't RO, it's FLAME TIME!!!!

Really, grab an M4 (so you can see all around your point of aim) and fire just around a target. You'll notice that the hitboxes are very accurate and there is no issue with them. And people here are complaining about the movement in INS? Have you EVER played RO? Due to the nature of the Unreal engine, the movement in RO is some of the clunkiest I've ever witnessed. INS feels much more like moving about in real life. I never have issues going where I want to go, and not feeling like a robot doing it.

And as to the suppressing fire issue, I think you must be the only person in the RO community who feels that it works. You seem to think the same actually, when you say that no one else uses suppressing fire. I've been here since beta 1.0, and I can tell you why no one uses it...

it doesn't work!

I can keep an area hosed with fire from an MG42, and a rifleman will simply duck behind cover, aim, pop up, and fire. Immediate accurate fire, and I'm dead. And if you think SMGs can do the job, you're insane. Trying to hose an area with a PPSH is impossible due to recoil, unless you are laying prone AND supported, it just isn't going to happen.

Really people, grow up. Stop flaming this game because it isn't RO. I didn't like it during beta 1.0 due to the horrible FPS, crashing and TK issues, but with 1.1 the game feels good, plays smoothly, and has a fear of death unlike any other I've played (except maybe AA, but 10 minute rounds tend to do that). It isn't RO and that's fine, they are both enjoyable. I commend the INS team for releasing a high quality HL2 mod FINALLY, I've been waiting a long time for that.

I agree, sometimes I forget about the 10 minute load times RO used to have in the mod days. But I was quick in hosing INS for its bugs, sometimes you get spoiled playing a more complete game like RO. But give it time and INS will be just as good.

Upvote 0

it doesn't work!

Yes when I use SMG's for suppression I always rest them. The only time I fire smgs from the hip is at very close range. Every other time they are rested. They do work (not perfect of course). Regarding INS I'm not flaming just criticizing. Maybe the hit detection is fine while players are still but what about when they are moving? Alot of people are commenting about the ease of getting kills so I don't think they are all crazy.

Upvote 0
Maybe they are complaining about the ease of kills because they come from non-realism games and are used to pumping 12 rounds into a man's chest before he falls? I mean, most FPS gamers I know come from anything but ArmA, OFP, and RO.

Really, I love how easy it is to die. One round into the chest and you're down. That's the way it should be. I've been hit before without dying, so really it's a torso or headshot to kill. The hitboxes are fine. If they were inaccurate, all my shots would miss because I aim right on the moving target's torso (hitscan).

And to quote Nagels:

"....not for those who like things the way they are in RO."

NO **** SHERLOCK! It's not ****ing RO!!! It's ok for there to be different games in the FPS genre. Really.

Upvote 0
You guys are really confusing me!

So many diverging opinions from RO guys loving INS to RO guys saying it's crap in so many aspects!

REALLY looking forward to my HL2:ep1 copy that should be here by thursday and since RO is MY game (only MP game I ever played seriously) I can't wait to find out what's really up with INS!

Edit:Update...apparently whatever happened killed one of my GB sticks of Corsair ram. Awesomesauce. Well...thank goodness for lifetime warranties.
It's just CRAZY!

I had the exact same thing happening to me!! Everything was corrupted and I was totally unable to reinstall Windows or format.

It decided me to go and finally buy that top notch comp I been saving money for during six months.

When I got back to see what was really up with that damn old comp that crapped on me it turned out to be that it was one of my Corsair Memory sticks that was the cause and mind you I made tests for 3 hours and of course I checked the RAM last because I was like "I could NEVER be my Corsair, it has lifetime warranty!" Damn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alright guys, the Insurgency Team is running a screenshot contest now. At first I was like ok cool, but looking at the prizes kinda brought up a red flag. First prize for the screenshot contest is an ATI RADEON X1950 PRO! How the hell did they suddenly come across a spare videocard worth hundreds of dollars? These are the same people that were asking for power supply and hard drive donations just last week! I can't understand how they went from rags to riches after the release of a free mod. Kinda having a hard time working that one out :confused:

Upvote 0
Alright guys, the Insurgency Team is running a screenshot contest now. At first I was like ok cool, but looking at the prizes kinda brought up a red flag. First prize for the screenshot contest is an ATI RADEON X1950 PRO! How the hell did they suddenly come across a spare videocard worth hundreds of dollars? These are the same people that were asking for power supply and hard drive donations just last week! I can't understand how they went from rags to riches after the release of a free mod. Kinda having a hard time working that one out :confused:

Could have something to do with that FilePlanet exclusive release they did, afterall, GSI must have paid them something to secure an exclusive release of such a highly anticipated mod..

Upvote 0