• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Important: Way too accurate aim for every soldier!

No, it wasn't, because these were trained soldiers (or at least highly motivated soldiers) who were fighting for a goal. Sure, you were hungry and low on sleep, but if you missed you'd get bloody killed. I'd say that's a pretty good motivation to not bloody miss.
Being scared for your life is "motivation" to keep running a little longer and a little faster. It does NOT help keeping your hands steadier!

Upvote 0
No, it wasn't, because these were trained soldiers (or at least highly motivated soldiers) who were fighting for a goal. Sure, you were hungry and low on sleep, but if you missed you'd get bloody killed. I'd say that's a pretty good motivation to not bloody miss.

Stress and panic tend to be detrimental to aim. The more stress, adrenaline and fear, the worse your aim is going to be.

Adrenaline improves perception time and speeds up your metabolism greatly for a short period of time, but one of it's effects in increased cardivosascular speed and your muscles tend to become "twitchy" if not in use.

Its the sort of thing that lets you run really fast, or likewise club your enemies to a pulp as thats what it's designed/evolved to do, its a chemical that is intended to improve your strength and reaction time, not intended to improve your fine motor skills required to fire a weapon accurately. Aside from the adrenaline, fear and stress itself will reduce your concentration and rationalizing ability, causing you to shoot poorly

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stress and panic tend to be detrimental to aim. The more stress, adrenaline and fear, the worse your aim is going to be.

Adrenaline improves perception time and speeds up your metabolism greatly for a short period of time, but one of it's effects in increased cardivosascular speed and your muscles tend to become "twitchy" if not in use.

Its the sort of thing that lets you run really fast, or likewise club your enemies to a pulp as thats what it's designed/evolved to do, its a chemical that is intended to improve your strength and reaction time, not intended to improve your fine motor skills required to fire a weapon accurately. Aside from the adrenaline, fear and stress itself will reduce your concentration and rationalizing ability, causing you to shoot poorly

Which is exactly what all that combat training is for.

Again, as I've said before, the reason that armies around the world and throughout history have had such rigorous training regimens is so that by the time combat rolls around you are so well practiced in the basic motions of fighting that you don't have to think about doing it. Your brain fires pre-programed responses, and your muscles respond. I'm sure you know about muscle memory.

I've seen violinists absolutely shaking with stage fright (I used to play as a part of an orchestra for several years) and adrenaline perform perfectly, and let's be honest, that requires at least as much manual dexterity as aiming a rifle. They could do it because they were practiced. Now, of course, they weren't getting shot at, or being exploded, but they could still hit notes that were a few centimeters apart very quickly simply because they didn't have to think about where the notes were.

It's very much the same principle for weapon training. They train the soldiers how to handle their weapons in the most realistic situations they could generate in training. Sure, the Russian training wasn't that great, but the Germans had great training programs. It wouldn't be fair to only give one team practiced marksmanship, so they just assume that everyone has a decent amount of weapon training.

Upvote 0
It's true, right now the game kind of feels like a sniper war where missing your first shot pretty much makes you a goner. I think limiting the amount of time you can hold your breath for and adding more weapon sway to players out of stamina will make things a little harder. Making bullet cracks and shots whizzing overhead WAY louder would make more sense too because you'll instinctively want to put your head down. All the "supression" in RO2 does is screw with your vision; it doesn't even throw your aim off.

Upvote 0
This will address both the realistic aspect of the game and will also fix the game's firefights which right now do not exist.

I don't know if anyone's been to the army here, but even with a modern M4 and a good scope it's very difficult to nail your target perfectly (I'm not talking about Spec Ops, yes?), especially when you're in the middle of a firefight, stuff blowing around you and your friends are dying... It's outrageous that a WW2 simple soldier with a rifle nails me straight through the head when I'm in cover from a kilometer away

Any decent shooter with an AR platform rifle (AR15 came before the m16 designation for those that don't know) should be able to pepper a human sized target at normal combat ranges. Just because a pizza boxer can't shoot for crap does not mean that it is impossible to shoot ww2 era guns accurately. even before WW2, back WW1 soldiers were killing eachother at 800 yards with the iron sights on their bolt action rifles. As a guy that shoots often I can say that the guns in game are pretty much spot on with accuracy. It is true that some sway should be added to compensate for the lack of other human funtions but the guns themselves are about right. Save for maybe the mp40.

Upvote 0
Hmm...

Meh, I guess I'll add my two cents.

First, the sway is fine. I whore up marksman all the time, and the sway when you're not deployed or prone is very noticeable. When you're standing still and have a full stamina bar, your aim will have near zero sway when you first bring up the rifle/SMG/whatever, but sway is added very quickly. You all probably are not noticing the sway because your pulling off shots moments after you pull up your gun, or it's rested without your knowing. Another reason why some of you are not noticing it is because the range people actually shoot at each other without resting their gun is so small, that sway isn't a factor.

Second, seems like some of have your terms mixed up. Adrenaline/Epinephrine/Whateverthehelltheycallitinyourcountry in combat is a bittersweet curse. It's part of fight-or-flight response, which means it's fear induced, so a person can't simply turn it on or off at their convenience, and it normally doesn't last long. Like Hypno Toad posted- If you're feeling the effects of adrenaline, then you're probably not shooting. Chances are that you're running away or clubbing a guy to death with the butt of your rifle.

I believe the term you all are looking for, is coolness-under-fire. Which means you don't go bat **** when you're under a stressful situation. This can be trained to a certain extent, but it'll never be perfect until you're actually in a non-controlled situation. The game models this aswell. You know all of those resistance percentages on your stats screen? There it is.

Upvote 0
Same ****, different thread.

The "hardcore realism" vets just refuse to admit that anything without 6" of sway is realistic.

Bull****. Yesterday I just had to test it again, I went into an empty server, I sprinted, I fell to prone and stood up, jumped, ran half the map on sprint and then pressed the RMB. Guess what? I could still easily hit a target 300 meters away, without even trying. I just stood there and watched how the weapon is moving, slowly rising a little with the relatively slow breaths of my character (who just ran around a battlefield, up stairs, jumping and falling and carrying full equipment and a weapon for about 2000 meters) and not actually affecting my ability to take a perfectly precise shot from any distance.

Let me take you on a medium difficulty obstacle course and then shoot a 100 meter target with a WW2 rifle, let's see how well do you aim.

Please, stop arguing about the game having sway, the behavior of the soldier in RO2 is completely unrealistic and sway should be added!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Accurate weapons make the game awsome and fun

Accurate weapons make the game awsome and fun

I love the accurate weapons in RO2. Its so, so much better and refreshing than all the arcade shooters out there. I can understand if the devs added a little sway when standing up and shooting. That is realistic. At least for my true life shooting skills it is. And the longer I hold the sights up, the more i sway. All the guns are realisticly accurate from my real world experience, its just missing the sway factor. The bolt action rifles should be able to group at one inch at 200 yards easily without sway and breathing. MG on a bipod should be dead on. A little, light sub machine gun is gonna be easy to hold steady and not sway. It should still group at less than 2 inchs at 200 yards easily.
It would really suck if we had to play with totally unrealistic, inaccurate weapons like in all the other arcady FPS out there today.

Upvote 0
RO2 rifle sway - YouTube

Short video of rifle sway at zero stamina, both rested and unrested, as well as an attempt to shoot a buddy immediately after sprinting.

Apparently the soldier keeps tighter control over the weapon immediately after coming out of sprint, then attempts to calm down his breathing, resulting in quick, small sway followed by large amounts before regaining his breath.

/thread

There it is, guys. All the sway you could possibly want.

It's already in the game. It's been in the game since the beta. There's plenty of sway to simulate realistic shooting, and you guys simply want unrealistic, exaggerated sway like some other "realistic" shooters out there:

COD MW2 Sniper Montage - YouTube

Seriously, I don't want to hear anyone else mention the words "more weapon sway" ever again. I was at a friends house watching him play CoD, and I realized why that game is such a horrific run-and-gun fest. The weapon sway is outrageous. The iron sights deviate almost two inches on his 60" TV, and the sniper rifles are even worse, spiraling around the screen like the shooter is drunk. Nobody can hit anything unless they're 30 yards away, which is why they need to be able to run and jump so much in order to win.

Seriously guys, if you turn RO2 into ****ing Call of Duty I'll come to your house and beat you with a cactus.

Upvote 0
RO2 rifle sway - YouTube

/thread

There it is, guys. All the sway you could possibly want.

It's already in the game. It's been in the game since the beta. There's plenty of sway to simulate realistic shooting, and you guys simply want unrealistic, exaggerated sway like some other "realistic" shooters out there:

COD MW2 Sniper Montage - YouTube

Seriously, I don't want to hear anyone else mention the words "more weapon sway" ever again. I was at a friends house watching him play CoD, and I realized why that game is such a horrific run-and-gun fest. The weapon sway is outrageous. The iron sights deviate almost two inches on his 60" TV, and the sniper rifles are even worse, spiraling around the screen like the shooter is drunk. Nobody can hit anything unless they're 30 yards away, which is why they need to be able to run and jump so much in order to win.

Seriously guys, if you turn RO2 into ****ing Call of Duty I'll come to your house and beat you with a cactus.

Says call of duty has a ton of rifle sway, proceeds to prove this by posting a video that shows someone running around quick scoping and accurately shooting people with pinpoint accuracy using a play station controller. :confused:

Upvote 0
Says call of duty has a ton of rifle sway, proceeds to prove this by posting a video that shows someone running around quick scoping and accurately shooting people with pinpoint accuracy using a play station controller. :confused:

Well, because those are the only videos that the CoD folks upload to the internet. The reason you have to quickscope so fast is because you have to hit the guy before your weapon drunkenly sways off target. If you take more than a split second to take your shot, you miss.

Trust me, I was fighting with it all day yesterday. I tried to play like I play RO2, crawling around and hiding, sniping people from a distance, but I couldn't hit a barn wall with the damn rifle simply because if I tried to stay scoped in I'd start waving all over the place.

Seriously, go play CoD multiplayer for a little while, even if it's just a bot match. If you don't own a copy, go to a friend's house and play. Zoom into the sniper rifle and try to shoot -anything-. You can't. The sway keeps you from hitting diddly.

Reactions: <*>Nora The Martyr
Upvote 0