• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Important: Way too accurate aim for every soldier!

ptx

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
This will address both the realistic aspect of the game and will also fix the game's firefights which right now do not exist.

I don't know if anyone's been to the army here, but even with a modern M4 and a good scope it's very difficult to nail your target perfectly (I'm not talking about Spec Ops, yes?), especially when you're in the middle of a firefight, stuff blowing around you and your friends are dying... It's outrageous that a WW2 simple soldier with a rifle nails me straight through the head when I'm in cover from a kilometer away, when all he did was spot me thanks to the razor sharp graphics today's resolution and graphics offer, and just aiming at me. Nothing else, wind, the skill of the shooter, shaky hands, nothing matters, I'm dead.

Please don't forget that in WW2 soldiers weren't as well trained as they are today, rifles weren't half as accurate as they are today, and weapon jams and different failures were a common sight on the battlefield.

I think that drastically reducing the accuracy of normal soldiers, and only making them really accurate when they press aim + shift (and even then, reduce the accuracy) will improve the game and fix the current inability to enjoy a long lasting realistic fire fight because right now the moment you spot an enemy means whether he's dead, or you are.

If accuracy will be reduced, you'll both dive into covers and shoot at each other, doing your best combined with your skill in the game to kill your opponent, which also opens a whole new door to flanking and givesa new meaning and importance to reinforcements. Obviously officers should have much better aim and accuracy than the other soldiers, and a marksman shouldn't lose accuracy.

I can see in my mind how this game could be awesome, two sides firing at each other, some flanking, others push with suppressing fire trying to win the fire fight, instead of just always camping and picking off your opponents one by one without any feeling of an actual battlefield, just luck, the hope you won't be spotted and a good camping spot. Please listen to my idea, I honestly believe it can change the game and push it into a much better direction!

Agreed. I feel the suppression effects could use a boost too. Right now it doesn't feel like if you peek your head out you're going to get it blown off with max suppression. It feels more like, "all right, just wait a second until I can pop up and headshot him."

More often than not I see one, maybe two people playing the MG class. I personally enjoy it, but that's because I like laying down cover fire and watching my squad move up. But all too often some guy will peek around a corner, spot and kill me literally in less than one second.

I feel there should be some representation of what you mention, especially rattled nerves from nearby artillery, bullets whizzing by. I'm not a military man, but I've talked to enough to know most of them are scared as hell in the middle of a firefight, especially when one of their buddy's drops right next to them. Right now, this game just doesn't have that feel at all.

Upvote 0
the problem is not the accuracy but that the current maps have too small ranges.

Lol, from a supported bench (no vice or sandbags) and sitting firing my k98 I'd be lucky to hit 75% of my shots on a 2 foot by 2 foot block at 100 meters.

Stand me up, make me shoulder my rifle for long periods of time (which is what soldiers in game do) and have all the other guys at the range firing as fast as they can and I'd be lucky to hit 50%.

In game, under much worse circumstances, you can get about 90% I'd say.

and to JammyBee; the rifles in RO: Ost were not considered useless.

Reactions: Hypno Toad
Upvote 0
In OST if you weren't proning or didn't have something holding your weapon down, you could not for the love of god shoot anything unless you had some actual experience.

It took me quite a while to get used to ROOST, and even less of a while in ROHoS. I think weapon sway and accuracy while standing and maybe even crouching should decrease. Making cover and places to balance your weapon on more vital to greater accuracy.

Reactions: Choice
Upvote 0
That "RO" feel has gone away. There are no more epic exchanges of bolt actions.

there were? all I remember was sitting on a ledge somewhere near the seigssaule clicking and watching a pixel 100m away disappear :|. Ironically, I got better with the bolters (in ostfront) when I brought my cod sniper skills (both point-and click and quickscoping) over and started gunning down people in the street :rolleyes:

Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
Yes, I noticed this right away, when you're at something like 200-300 range and you have a sniper vs an assult the sniper should have a clear advantage, as it is now I can pretty easily hit someone at long range with assult class. The reason people don't use lmg so much is because this takes away it's advantage. Reduce accuracy!

Upvote 0
I feel that the full auto weapons are too accurate. The K98 rifles are fine...
But the weapons could use some more sway. Right now running a lot and climbing over walls has little impact on your aiming skills.

little or none what so ever. try to hold a rifle and aim for 2 minutes without your hands getting really tired and start shaking + breathing starts getting heavier.
Even if this would be a special ops game, they would only raise the weapon and aim when needed to.

Upvote 0
As an example of how weapons are currently too accurate: on Commissars, start of round, as Allies, trying to get to D by going as far south as possibly and flanking right.

Sniped repeatedly from just outside German spawn by a couple of guys with MGson single fire mode.

Thats a good 200m or more, and I cant make a flat out sprint without being headshotted by a guy with an MG from the other side of the map?

So either we've got some aimbots doing the rounds already, or the weapons are too accurate. Pick one.

Upvote 0