• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your credit wahoo4, you have at least downloaded RO1 and are trying it. Hopefully, you'll play it long enough to really get a feel for how it was designed to be played. The game has been around for some time now and lately there is often a mix of deadly veterans and complete novices on any given server. Veterans know the maps inside out and outside in. The novices are still learning what a cap is. So consequently, sometimes the gameplay (espcially on the 24/7 single map servers) is a mixed bag of tactics and run n' gun. However, if you get in a Kreigstadt or Leningrad battle with veterans, get ready for war.

If you happen to have one or two bad experiences early on, don't let them ruin it for you. All it will take is one or two epic battles complete with arty, tactics, MG's, defensive stands, offensive pushes, etc. to keep bringing you back for more.

Soon you'll forget all about the perks and level ups that other FPS's give you. You'll know that what seperates your team from the opponent team is your team's skill and tactics. Not what rank they may have. You'll learn to use the weapon you've chosen in the manner is which it was intended and you'll get great satisifaction from defeating your opponent. And because you and your opponent are on equal footing, you'll respect his skill when he kills you. You may be pissed you got shot, but you won't be pissed because he can play 18 hours a day, has every perk known to man, has a 5 star cluster and types "pwnt" everytime he makes a kill.

I'll also ventrue to say that you'll see more people type in "ns" and "ty" than in any other FPS you've played.....

If I might ask, what is the name you use in game? That way if I run across you ingame I'll know to be gentle......

Glad you've taken the plunge. Hope you find the game mesmerizing. Best of luck.

**edit** Oh, and since you're coming from a CoD background, as suggested you might want to find Darkest Hour and download it. Its free and focuses on the US/British vs. Axis side of the war. The Allied weapons might be something you're a little more familiar with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread gave me a head-ache.

What's all this business about "fast reloading" Let me tell you something, have you ever tired to reload any of these guns before? Speaking from personal experience, wearing a full German kit and a g43 which means...

Steel helmet
Wool pants
Wool Field blouse
a number of standard issue shirts underneath
bread bag
Shovel
Gas mask bag/can
Zelt
Boots
2 mags in pouches, one in your rifle, 6 full stripper clips, and as much ammo and grenades as you can carry in your pockets and grenade bags (If you're lucky to have them).

After running around all day and lying in some ****ing dirty *** hole with a branch digging into your leg, you are gonna dread reloading.

Any good soldier isn't going to yank his empy mag out and throw it on the ground, you gotta take that one out and put it offhand somewhere, put the new one in, then get the spent one back safe. Id love to see someone do that in one second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
I like the fact you can't always tell if you hit someone, but I wish there was a +1 on the screen when you killed them. lol There's something very satisfying about seeing that +1 when you quick scope someone.

the problem is that this takes away from a lot of "skill" based things, I lost count of the ammount of people in COD 4 who just hozed a regular position of enemies with a MG and used the hit markers to kill people; people they dident even know were there. how bloody realistic is that..? Having hit markers negates the purpose of folliage and cover, just piss some rounds over there and detect if there are enemies by a bunch of dots appearing on your screen.
I can understand why it becomes appealing to players, I played Blacklight tango down. A video game with what was basically a wallhack hud that let you see all friendlies and enemies. After i stopped playing I was always trying to use that hud in other games. It's a weakness that you begin to depend upon and it makes you a lesser gamer, it was put there as a gimmick by the developers to try and make it easier for newer players; and its a gimmick I will always despise.

Reactions: Fuhrer Cool
Upvote 0
Any good soldier isn't going to yank his empy mag out and throw it on the ground, you gotta take that one out and put it offhand somewhere, put the new one in, then get the spent one back safe.

Thank you for that point. I honestly never worried about empty mags in FPS / Real life. Was there an order to collect empty mags? Especially in middle/late war Germany due to scarcity of raw materials?
And one last question: :rolleyes:
What's the correct translation for 'H

Upvote 0
I'm all for welcoming new players, but can't you guys at least familiarize yourselves with RO's concept before suggesting all these unrealistic features? Yes, RO2 will be more accessible but that doesn't mean that it should become a CoD-clone. There are already plenty of games like that. RO is not a thirteen-in-a-dozen shooter. Never has been, never will be. Please keep an open mind and don't expect RO2 to be similar to CoD. The difference between these games is like night and day, which is obviously a good thing.

Thank you for that point. I honestly never worried about empty mags in FPS / Real life.

Well, keeping your empty mags is a very good idea. Real-life soldiers almost never lose them. IIRC there was a story about a squad of soldiers who fought their way to an objective, leaving their empty mags in the dirt after reloading. By the time they reached the objective they were all out of ammo and called for an ammunition supply drop, which they received. Problem was, there were only lots of 30 round stripper clips in the crates, and enemies were closing in on their position. Not sure if it's a true story - probably not. But it does help illustrate the point that keeping empty mags is important. But let's stay on topic. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
Hardcore FPS gamer with an extensive gaming history that revolves around COD? Pah! :mad:

Come into RO and your so-called e-peen will be painfully and slowly severed with a rusty palette knife also known as RO's realism and gameplay. You will then forget your entire history of gaming when you start a week on the fields of RO. The following week from the day you first start RO will be a long and painful one where COD-skills go out the window and you're seen by all as a newbie and you will be forced to march across miles of land in a tank battle due to the overabundance of tank crewmen with nothing but a bolt-action rifle where you will miss your dual M-60 Machine Guns and bunny hopping rooftop-to-rooftop and painfully your e-peen will eventually turn from a disgusting mashed-up pulp and then become a strong, superior monster compared to what you used to have and what your COD clan still has. You will then repeatedly and violently bash them accross the jaw in the persuasion of getting them into RO as well and your e-peen will get even bigger knowing that you trained your own recruits to become as good as you. You will then laugh at all the COD players and realise how flawed the series has become.

And you'll enjoy it. :IS2:

Of course, RO2 will be an easier jump where you can just come right in and start playing quicker. All your COD knowledge will most definitely have to go out the window but you aiming and spotting skills will still help, but they will be need to be treated differently in RO2.

Definitely pick it up when it comes, it's worth it. :)

Upvote 0
DeathMatch would be one of the last things i would ever, EVER expect to see in RO and personally i dont ever want to see it get in.
And it's not because i dislike DeathMatch much because it can be fun for a bit, though it is way, way to competitive for me and prefer teamgames.
But where did you ever see documentary footage where soldiers from the German or Russian Army were actively trying to kill eachother?
RO2 is supposed to be a realistic game, and to include something like DM completely goes against that.
It's like making a bowling game but instead of getting to bowl you are the single guy who is playing darts in the corner of the bowling centre. It just doesnt fit. at. all.

Also, i would say enjoy RO for what it is. Dont try to change it.
Honestly, i cant see why all the newcomers are so obsessed with adding changes to RO, suggesting to have artificially balanced weapons, less recoil to make it more userfriendly, and who knows what else, trying to make it be more like the 'popular' shooters.
RO is RO, and if you tinker with that too much you will end up being too much like the other games and lose your original take on the genre.
People would say "Well it is a lot like *insert game here* but this is just an underground game and i prefer the other one, so i'll pass because it is largely the same anyway".
And everybody would lose, especially the players who were playing since day 1 of Ostfront or already way back in the mod days.

And honestly, you dont see me going to the forums of a flight sim developer asking to take out the ability of stalling so i, the newbie guy, won't crash so much.
It would only satisfy myself, it would completely unsatisfy the original fans and dedicated flight sim players, and in the end there are still other games which i can fly in that dont have stalling and dont make me crash every time.
So i could go somewhere else if i wanted too, but the flight sim players would have no place to go and are robbed of what could be their last hope for a proper flight sim.
And how many realistic games are coming out these days? Proper tactical shooters like this one, and also this playable without needing 1000 different button-combinations?
I'll tell you how much. Just one. And that is Heroes of Stalingrad. So please stop with these silly suggestions trying to turn RO into something that it wasnt and shouldnt become, just for your amusement and think of the true fans. (not trying to be elitist, but if you want that much changes you can hardly call yourself a true fan now can you?)

Upvote 0
Your speed-reload examples bug me just like Black Ops' commercial "There's a soldier in everyone" bugged me. The idea that a fat cook, a zit faced dishwasher and a scrawny hipster intern can all pick up automatic assault rifles fitted with grenade launchers and use them to devastating effect akin to professional soldiers serving in national militaries perfectly illustrates the mentality behind the new CoDs.

Even hardened Veterans in WW2 weren't considered as such because of... physical prowess or augmented dexterity. Chances are a veteran of 3 years is going to be pretty fatigued and suffering from all manner of physical conditions. What made a veteran in the Second World War was survival experience and the tactical know-how to realize when one must push the attack or fall back from an untenable position.

In more modern terms it's more difficult to define, due to the lack of conventional conflicts.

Upvote 0
FFA is good for venting off some steam, if like killingfloor HOS got a channel where everybody got to wait till everybody is ready. It would be great to play some quick FFA while waiting for others to join the server.

I have nothing against free for all, although I wouldn't want to play it on a regular basis but for instance a FFA sniper map with people placed all over a level hunting each other could be great fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of you guys are funny and didn't get the point of my videos at all. I'm not sure why there is even a "Suggestions" thread in here. Your not open to anything. I bought the game. I'm sure I'll like it, but how will a FFA game type affect any of you that don't play it? How will it affect sales of this game? Trust me, it will, for those who can't see outside their little circle. Now...if it's a matter of delaying the game for another year I can understand that argument. People like choices, I like to play FFA and HC from time to time. What do I know. Would it help if I flooded the forum with people that agree with me? Is that what is needed for someone to consider it? Either way I'm buying it, but I would like to promote it to my community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hausfeld, why don't you read 'On Combat' by -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Your speed-reload examples bug me just like Black Ops' commercial "There's a soldier in everyone" bugged me. The idea that a fat cook, a zit faced dishwasher and a scrawny hipster intern can all pick up automatic assault rifles fitted with grenade launchers and use them to devastating effect akin to professional soldiers serving in national militaries perfectly illustrates the mentality behind the new CoDs.

Even hardened Veterans in WW2 weren't considered as such because of... physical prowess or augmented dexterity. Chances are a veteran of 3 years is going to be pretty fatigued and suffering from all manner of physical conditions. What made a veteran in the Second World War was survival experience and the tactical know-how to realize when one must push the attack or fall back from an untenable position.

In more modern terms it's more difficult to define, due to the lack of conventional conflicts.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why there is even a "Suggestions" thread in here. Your not open to anything.

The problem mostly lies in that regardless of your intensions, you're suggesting something that generally is not suitable with the principles or core values Red Orchestra has always had since the original mod came out in 2003. Putting it the other way around if CoD forums would suddenly be flooded (just for the sake of example) with people who demand it to become the next civilian model of VBS the extreme majority of users would have trouble deciding if it's supposed to be coordinated trolling and laughing their arses off for obvious reasons. The sudden change of direction is very extreme and if it would actually happen, it would end up like a cop-out and making alot of people angry.

As much as variety is a good thing, there is a limit for the kind of variety that suits with the content. If I really wanted to have some sort of FFA mismatch that's very mindless funfest I'd pick up good old Quake or even RTCW\ET. I am not sure is it because people tend to have the misconception that realism does not equal fun, even though lately I've had more fun with more realistic games (E.G. ArmA2, IL-2 etc) than I've had with some more arcadish games. It's just diffrent kind of fun that requires certain specific interest or understandment to appeal.

Upvote 0
Some of you guys are funny and didn't get the point of my videos at all. I'm not sure why there is even a "Suggestions" thread in here. Your not open to anything. I bought the game. I'm sure I'll like it, but how will a FFA game type affect any of you that don't play it? How will it affect sales of this game? Trust me, it will, for those who can't see outside their little circle. Now...if it's a matter of delaying the game for another year I can understand that argument. People like choices, I like to play FFA and HC from time to time. What do I know. Would it help if I flooded the forum with people that agree with me? Is that what is needed for someone to consider it? Either way I'm buying it, but I would like to promote it to my community.

Look, I hate to be a prick, but you are the one that is simply not understanding. What you want, from what I see from this entire thread, is to change HoS into CoD. They are both extremely different games, for different reasons. It's not a matter of people not being open enough to suggestions, it's just the fact that they have to be within reason. Adding FFA, extreme perks, etc. to the game to me is just as crazy as if someone said we should have lazer guns and pirate ships in the RO series. It's gaming elements like FFA that Red Orchestra was created specifically to get away from. I play RO and (to a much lesser extent) CoD, and enjoy them both for their separate game play styles. Why mash them both together into something more then likely nobody will enjoy, if they both already exist in their own world? Oldih said it better then I did but you get the point.

As for FFA not mattering if you don't like it don't play it etc. etc; it takes time and money to put things like that in the game, which could be much better spent on other more appropriate things.

Like I said, I honestly do not intend to be to harsh, just trying to get a point across.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look, I hate to be a prick, but you are the one that is simply not understanding. What you want, from what I see from this entire thread, is to change HoS into CoD. They are both extremely different games, for different reasons. It's not a matter of people not being open enough to suggestions, it's just the fact that they have to be within reason. Adding FFA, extreme perks, etc. to the game to me is just as crazy as if someone said we should have lazer guns and pirate ships in the RO series. It's gaming elements like FFA that Red Orchestra was created specifically to get away from. I play RO and (to a much lesser extent) CoD, and enjoy them both for their separate game play styles. Why mash them both together into something more then likely nobody will enjoy, if they both already exist in their own world? Oldih said it better then I did but you get the point.

As for FFA not mattering if you don't like it don't play it etc. etc; it takes time and money to put things like that in the game, which could be much better spent on other more appropriate things.

Like I said, I honestly do not intend to be to harsh, just trying to get a point across.

Nice opening post dude :D

Upvote 0
Oldih thanks for your respectful reply. I've not had a chance to play RO yet, but I'm concinved I will enjoy it regardless. I'm just having a friendly debate over what I think would help make the game appealing to a wider audience. An audence that could very well bring hords of customers. Seems people have to stand on one side of the line or the other. lol

After getting a chance to see the game, I think RO guys have created something special. I think Tripwire just needs a gateway drug to get the COD community involved. You can follow this thread and see I have accepted a "No" to what I first suggested. Now, after considering some of the replies here, I have to agree with many of them, but I'm a FPS veteran player with a COD background. You got to understand that COD is all I know as many people out there.

You could call this my last ditch effort to suggest one thing that would bring over casual players/clans into this game and it would be create a FFA game. That's my last response/suggestion and I'll agree with you guys on the rest. This thread is mostly about marketing from someone outside looking in. Why not have one simple game like FFA. Trust me people will then get involved in more complicatd game play as they get the feel for it. Signing off. See you in the game. :)

Zetsumei, your right, it is fun at times to have a sniper game and blow off steam. I'm telling you most people will get frustrated when they don't do well. They will quit, call it this generation, I don't know. I for one keep playing, at least in FPS. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.