• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!! Got to run, but I'll post fast. No, I'm not a troll, did you read my post? Just giving my opinions about what I would like to see in the game. Is this not the "Suggestions thread"? I have never play RO, so no, I don't know much about the game. I have done alittle research on youtube, but there is not much. Man...what a bunch of COD haters here. I understand you guys pride yourself in a more realistic game play, but what is a hardcore gamer? I've been playing for 12 years, does that make me a hardcore gamer? I play a lot of what I play, and I'm good at it. As I'm sure many of you are good at what you do. I'm sure the learning curve on this game is a steep one, but I'm sure I'll pick it up after playing hundreds of hours of it like you. So please respect everyones game.

I just want to see you guys make a good and successful game. Now I respect you guys for creating something realistic, but as a company do you want to sell the game? Sadly there's a very small segment of bolt players out there. Why, it's a more difficult game. It's going to be the same with RO2. Can there be a balance for the casual player and the hardcore player? I agree with most of what you guys say, but there are some things in COD that are appealing to the masses. Why not make the game for the casual player and for the hardcore player? Don't we all want the PC community to buy it? For example the XI clan, they have 500 members and many, many, servers. There are many casual clans out there, but the XI clan enjoys playing FFA and other game types. Are you going to exclude the possibility of 500 game sales? Not to mention many other clans that play casual? Anyway that's your decision, but if you want the PC community as a whole to embrace your game, I would consider FFA and anything else that will appeal to the new customers. I enjoy playing it as well, but I'm ready to move on to a more realistic game like RO2. It's just up my alley.

I understand you guys want to be your own, very proud, and I respect that as well. I can live without many of what I mentioned above. Except for the scope crosshairs. Why be that picky? They suck! LOL I love sniper play, but not with that scope. Now the affects look great, I'll give you that, but in the end it's how it plays. Enough said. The perks would be nice as I love the sound of the supressors, but ok.

How about this suggestion, if there will be no perks, how about a veteran conditioning point system. One based on expirence points that allow you to reload faster, run longer/faster, steady the gun longer/faster, less prone to noise distractions and etc. Now that's something different, and it's realistic. Don't think I've ever seen this in a game. People want to work for something, so give people the desire to work for that veteran status. I thought of this when my buddy mentioned that there's nothing fresh in FPS, it's all the same, I disagree with RO, but this would be different and fits in with your style of gaming.

I'm pumped and I can't wait to get RO2. In the meantime, I'll try RO. I'm new to this game, but add me to your xfire; wahoo4 Please no jerks like above posts. lol

I for one am pumped about this game as I'm bored of the
They've already said there will be some form of very very mild "veteran" bonuses... (not like extra damage or something, probably just you get slightly less suppressed when getting shot at by an mg).

And BTW this is hardly bolts only lol. On many maps 50% or more of the players are equipped with SMGs. And of course a few get semi-autos rifles and MGs. SMGs that are a lot more satisfying to kill people with too, especially the PPSh with its nice 71 round mag :D.

I think the tanking part by itself will draw a huge crowd... those tired of playing tanks from 3rd person and having it just be.... retarded lol.

As you said you haven't played RO... buy it and see why we're bashing COD so much (don't bother "practicing" against the bots... they're a joke, it's a strictly multiplayer game). COD multiplayer absolutely SUCKS compared to RO when it comes to gameplay. I used to play DOD:S all the time and thought it was the greatest WW2 fps eva... until I discovered RO.

And FFA would never work since RO has limited class selection. It'd just be absurd really. Regardless, at this stage of development TWI aren't going to add a whole new mode that will probably be shunned by 90% of the players who buy it when compared to the standard mode, campaign mode, or the countdown mode . It'd be akin to adding a "free for all mode" in Left 4 dead......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And FFA would never work since RO has limited class selection. It'd just be absurd really. Regardless, at this stage of development TWI aren't going to add a whole new mode that will probably be shunned by 90% of the players who buy it when compared to the standard mode, campaign mode, or the countdown mode .

Hah, thanks for putting that up as I couldn't remember anymore. :eek:

Just imagine, 30 snipers, 10 MG's, 10 SMG's and 10 semis and 4 bolts. :eek:

Upvote 0
Wow!!! Got to run, but I'll post fast. No, I'm not a troll, did you read my post? Just giving my opinions about what I would like to see in the game. Is this not the "Suggestions thread"? I have never play RO, so no, I don't know much about the game. I have done alittle research on youtube, but there is not much. Man...what a bunch of COD haters here. I understand you guys pride yourself in a more realistic game play, but what is a hardcore gamer? I've been playing for 12 years, does that make me a hardcore gamer? I play a lot of what I play, and I'm good at it. As I'm sure many of you are good at what you do. I'm sure the learning curve on this game is a steep one, but I'm sure I'll pick it up after playing hundreds of hours of it like you. So please respect everyones game.
We're not saying you aren't a hardcore gamer. We're saying you have no experience with even mildly realistic games.

I just want to see you guys make a good and successful game. Now I respect you guys for creating something realistic, but as a company do you want to sell the game? Sadly there's a very small segment of bolt players out there. Why, it's a more difficult game. It's going to be the same with RO2. Can there be a balance for the casual player and the hardcore player? I agree with most of what you guys say, but there are some things in COD that are appealing to the masses. Why not make the game for the casual player and for the hardcore player? Don't we all want the PC community to buy it? For example the XI clan, they have 500 members and many, many, servers. There are many casual clans out there, but the XI clan enjoys playing FFA and other game types. Are you going to exclude the possibility of 500 game sales? Not to mention many other clans that play casual? Anyway that's your decision, but if you want the PC community as a whole to embrace your game, I would consider FFA and anything else that will appeal to the new customers. I enjoy playing it as well, but I'm ready to move on to a more realistic game like RO2. It's just up my alley.
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 has sold 500,000 copies. It was made by 3 (is that the right number? Sorry if I'm forgetting some of you guys) people and has a learning curve steeper than the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is being made by over 20 people, will have tutorials and a helpful HUD for the players new to the series, and has gotten a lot of recent publicity. With all due respect, your concern is unnecessary. Game's don't need to be appealing to CoD players to do well.

I understand you guys want to be your own, very proud, and I respect that as well. I can live without many of what I mentioned above. Except for the scope crosshairs. Why be that picky? They suck! LOL I love sniper play, but not with that scope. Now the affects look great, I'll give you that, but in the end it's how it plays. Enough said. The perks would be nice as I love the sound of the supressors, but ok.
I... what? The scope cross hairs are historical. I have no idea what you're saying.

How about this suggestion, if there will be no perks, how about a veteran conditioning point system. One based on expirence points that allow you to reload faster, run longer/faster, steady the gun longer/faster, less prone to noise distractions and etc. Now that's something different, and it's realistic. Don't think I've ever seen this in a game. People want to work for something, so give people the desire to work for that veteran status. I thought of this when my buddy mentioned that there's nothing fresh in FPS, it's all the same, I disagree with RO, but this would be different and fits in with your style of gaming.
TWI have already stated that almost all "perks" will be visual, save for some minor things, like slightly less effected by suppression or something.

I'm pumped and I can't wait to get RO2. In the meantime, I'll try RO. I'm new to this game, but add me to your xfire; wahoo4 Please no jerks like above posts. lol

I for one am pumped about this game as I'm bored of the

Responses in bold (except for the one right below this):

Bolt only players? Have you even watched any of the videos, of RO2 or just ROOst? The rifleman (schutze or strelok) is only one of many classes. Sure, the majority of infantrymen on a team will usually have bolt action rifles (re: Realism, depending on situation of course) but it's hardly a bolt only game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
4. Scope cross hairs must be hair thin for good distance shots. Please fix that, otherwise you lose the target.

Even if I hate myself for saying this, he got a point! *please dont bash me now* ;)

images

this is proberly what he wants.
And I agree, it would be easier to shoot with this.

BUT of course the scopes are good the way they are cause the really looked that way in WW2.
images

Or not?

Upvote 0
Well, thats exactly how it took his meaning.

I've been playing games on the pc since the DOS days of green and amber text screens only. I guess since Wolfenstein is considered the first FPS, I've been playing mainly FPS's since then. Never really thought about myself as a HC FPS gamer (and I use a KAR or Mosin almost exclusively in RO). Whats the need for the label?

I guess perhaps the reason I took HC FPS player to mean HC Mode player was all the perks, level ups, and other general BS listed. All that stuff isn't needed for a 'HC' player, imo.

(Gameplay + strategy) > (bang-bang-shoot-em-up-perk-me-up) imo.

But that's just me.

Upvote 0

Surely you must have some idea of what a hardcore gamer is. Isn't that what you referred to yourself as in the title?

RO from the start was an alternative to that run-n-gun free for all style play that we had in UT2004 and other common shooters at the time. It centers around objective-based teamwork, not deathmatch. I know a good portion of CoD players stick to things like Headquarters and now Domination, which is essentially the same sort of game.

RO2 is going to have "casual" (Relaxed realism) and "hardcore" (Realism) modes. RO has never had a shortage of bolt players, it's 99% of the game, and the only class that's never restricted. For someone with such big ideas for the game, you'd at least expect to be familiarized with it a little.

Tripwire has been and probably always will be for the PC crowd. They know the saying "If you tailor yourself to the tastes of everyone, you'll soon whittle yourself to nothing." Catering to the masses is great if you're in it for the money and nothing else. Tripwire definitely seems to want to show that there is still a way to move units with quality and support, not DLC map packs and cookie-cutter gameplay that hasn't changed in 5 years.

The sniper reticules are that way because it's how they were/actually are. If you ever have a K98 or Mosin sniper rifle in your hand and look through its scope you'll see the same thing. The US and other nations had different reticules, but even those would seem "fat" and obstructive by today's standards.

Well, that's just perk abilities without the perks themselves. Most of us here aren't looking to level up to become a fast-running, perfect accuracy, infinite ammo super hero. We know there are other games for that sort of thing. RO is being different in the sense that it isn't striving for that type of gameplay. It's more pure in that sense, that everyone is more or less at the same level of ability. The leveling is just a bonus that acknowledges your time playing.

If it came down to increasing gameplay abilities like reloads, movement speed, accuracy, etc., the game would be filled with people that are just better than others because they unlocked special bonuses. Not because they are actually better at the game. It's the same way in other games where you can't even be expected to play well without certain unlocks. It's not the kind of game RO should be, IMO.

Well we're always glad to have more people excited for the game. I want to see people excited for RO because it's trying to stay away from the mainstream, and stick to the essentials of FPS gaming. Have fun with Ostfront, get a feel for what it plays like and how it's not just about your own score, but the success of your team.

Upvote 0
Well, a rough simplification could be like: Either you are a causal player or a hard core player.
Casual: play some for fun
Hard core: play a lot to win

Either you are a casual tennis player or a hard core one. Either you paly some for fun, or play a lot to win to earn money. Something like that but in a non-profit computer gaming world :D.

(Remember, ROUGH SIMPLIFICATION ;))

(I am a hard-core gamer. Funny enough I preferred HC mode in bfbc2, which is the only game I've played where HC mode existed. I have played mostly mods in my whole life, so I am very unfamiliar with the masses of commercial games)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look guys I'm not here to fight, just thought I would give some suggestions. I talk to a lot of people, and feel I have a good understand of what people want. Exclude yourself from the main stream if you want. It's clear some of you don't want anything changed. That's fine, just understand if you can get new folks into a simple game like FFA, then those people will most likely transistion into other game types. If you want people to get frustrated and quit the game in a week then that's your choice. All I'm saying is why not include those noob game types like FFA and TDM that opens the door to new players? Pride yourself on whatever it is you like, but leaving options out of the game makes no sense to me. A choice for everyone? Play what you like, but why exclude it? I would rather wait another year for a graphical polished game and options that will bring more people into what sounds like a already good game. To me that seems like good business. If being a big company if not your goal, all the power to you, but I would think more growth is good to continue making better games.

Capt.Cool yes that is what I'm talking about. They say the new scope view is more realistic, but I have to disagree. Having a view on both sides is not realistic. Perhaps one side, but not both. Good shooters can have both eyes open and still focus line the sites. I had done IPSC competition for some time.

Regardless, I like the idea of what I mentioned and seems to fit into your game model. Vet points that give a slight increase in what I mentioned above. Let people work for some small advantages for those that put the time into the game. Or make a HC mode where none of those thing happen. I just saying most COD folks will hate the game right off if there is all kinds of muzzle rise, recoil and muzzle flash. Why exclude guys like me? Choose some small things like a little less recoil, faster reloads, bring the weapon up faster. Soldier conditioning should play a roll, not huge, but some small increases. These are all things that vets of war would have improved. YouTube - Fast reloading

I agree Floyd I don't like super power ups like COD, or HC mode, but I think there is a bigger picture and reason for it. For one, I think it keeps people in the game long enough to get used to it. Two people like to work for power, take WOW for example. lol Yes it is a marketing thing. It also give a little hope things will get easier. Hey what do I know. Just suggestions, that I hope you guys will consider. Just a guy looking through the window here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FFA and TDM aren't excluded, those gametypes were never part of the RO experience to begin with. It's not difficult to grasp the concept of attacking/defending control points. Many new players have been able to.

RO isn't trying to be CoD. Tripwire made it this far without copying CoD's game mechanics, and I doubt leaving them out now will hurt their sales. They fill a niche and if RO's gameplay bothers people who are used to CoD's, then that's their problem. They are entirely different games and that's the way it's gonna be.

We've had tons of discussion on Heroes and what leveling could bring to the table as far as special abilities, but I'm pretty sure most people are in agreement that we don't want to see players more capable than others simply because they reached the highest rank. If you want to do some reading on the discussions just search the forums for threads about Heroes. Or give this thread a read: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Look guys I'm not here to fight, just thought I would give some suggestions. I talk to a lot of people, and feel I have a good understand of what people want. Exclude yourself from the main stream if you want. It's clear some of you don't want anything changed. That's fine, just understand if you can get new folks into a simple game like FFA, then those people will most likely transistion into other game types. If you want people to get frustrated and quit the game in a week then that's your choice. All I'm saying is why not include those noob game types like FFA and TDM that opens the door to new players? Pride yourself on whatever it is you like, but leaving options out of the game makes no sense to me. A choice for everyone? Play what you like, but why exclude it? I would rather wait another year for a graphical polished game and options that will bring more people into what sounds like a already good game. To me that seems like good business. If being a big company if not your goal, all the power to you, but I would think more growth is good to continue making better games.

Capt.Cool yes that is what I'm talking about. They say the new scope view is more realistic, but I have to disagree. Having a view on both sides is not realistic. Perhaps one side, but not both. Good shooters can have both eyes open and still focus line the sites. I had done IPSC competition for some time.

Regardless, I like the idea of what I mentioned and seems to fit into your game model. Vet points that give a slight increase in what I mentioned above. Let people work for some small advantages for those that put the time into the game. Or make a HC mode where none of those thing happen. I just saying most COD folks will hate the game right off if there is all kinds of muzzle rise, recoil and muzzle flash. Why exclude guys like me? Choose some small things like a little less recoil, faster reloads, bring the weapon up faster. Soldier conditioning should play a roll, not huge, but some small increases. These are all things that vets of war would have improved. YouTube - Fast reloading

I agree Floyd I don't like super power ups like COD, or HC mode, but I think there is a bigger picture and reason for it. For one, I think it keeps people in the game long enough to get used to it. Two people like to work for power, take WOW for example. lol Yes it is a marketing thing. It also give a little hope things will get easier. Hey what do I know. Just suggestions, that I hope you guys will consider. Just a guy looking through the window here.

Now take this same guy and place him on a battlefield where there are bullets flying everywhere tanks are shooting,stuff explodes around you,people screaming and begging for help,people dying too...I'm curious how will this "on camera fast reloading cindarella" going to reload in a RL panic situation.

Reactions: Nimsky and Lucan946
Upvote 0
It's not like having to go capture objectives is going to make people go "**** this ****, it's too complicated, I quit." Domination in CoD isn't exactly hard to grasp, is it?

Let's see him do that whilst being shot at.

Nobody is going to consider suggestions this drastic and huge because you clearly don't know what the game's about. This is not in any way meant to offend you. Buy RO:Ost. Play it for a while. Read some of the old threads. The RO:HOS fact thread is particularly helpful. Then we can talk.

Replies in bold.

My point, vets of war become stronger, smarter, faster, hardened and better soldiers the more they are exposed to the horrors of war. The video shows how fast you can reload with practice and hard work. Do you think war expirence show play a role in the game? Just a thought. :D

Experience automatically plays a role in the game, even if you don't have perks. I know for a fact that I am a much better player than I was a year ago. When there was that "Free give-away week" not too long ago, I was amazed at how well I was doing against the new guys, who seemed to make up the majority of the players that day. Hell, I even got that "Ultimate Hero" achievement. So, to stop myself from ego-boosting too much, I'll just get to the point: you don't need perks for experience with the game to get rewards from said experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Far enough...I just don't understand why limit your yourself to one small group of players. I've never seen pro gamers like Tek9 playing RO, but it would be nice to see it. Enough said. Regardless, I'll be buying RO2 for sure. Can't wait!!! :cool: Here's another cool video though. Check it out. lol YouTube - JERRY MICULIK FASTEST REVOLVER SHOOTER IN THE WORLD IPSC

FFA and TDM aren't excluded, those gametypes were never part of the RO experience to begin with. It's not difficult to grasp the concept of attacking/defending control points. Many new players have been able to.

RO isn't trying to be CoD. Tripwire made it this far without copying CoD's game mechanics, and I doubt leaving them out now will hurt their sales. They fill a niche and if RO's gameplay bothers people who are used to CoD's, then that's their problem. They are entirely different games and that's the way it's gonna be.

We've had tons of discussion on Heroes and what leveling could bring to the table as far as special abilities, but I'm pretty sure most people are in agreement that we don't want to see players more capable than others simply because they reached the highest rank. If you want to do some reading on the discussions just search the forums for threads about Heroes. Or give this thread a read: [URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698[/URL]

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuhrer Cool
Upvote 0
My point, vets of war become stronger, smarter, faster, hardened and better soldiers the more they are exposed to the horrors of war. The video shows how fast you can reload with practice and hard work. Do you think war expirence show play a role in the game? Just a thought. :D

It'll show through more in the players themselves, I think.

There will be Heroes and veterans who have played the longest and have more experience with the game, and then there will be recruits who have just started and may not be completely familiar with it yet.

Don't need +10% reload speed, or +15% better weapon handling to show that.

It's rough enough that there are weapons available only to Heroes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.