• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wahoo I think that you might be failing to grasp that TWI have from the start intended to make realism > accessibility. These design choices have created a game that all of us, and 500,000 others like. Many of your suggestions to increase the accessibilty of the game would take it away from its true base design. In the end if you really want a game like COD, well there is COD; I think when you actually play ROHOS you will see why so many of us cherish a game developer that isnt throwing in extra gimmicks for extra sales.

Plus as an aside I think the larger the population base that you aim a product at the more general it gets, and plenty of people who are looking for a niche just dont get what they are looking for.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Far enough...I just don't understand why limit your yourself to one small group of players.

I don't think TWI is trying to limit the players, they're trying to make a different kind of game than what's out there now.

Turn it around. I don't play CoD anymore because it's not a game I want to play. So why does CoD limit itself to only people who like to play CoD type games? Shouldn't they cater to the RO community? Oh, I know why. If they did, they'd loose their huge core player base.

If TWI "sold out" and turned RO into a CoD style game, they would loose their smaller core player base. Sure they may make more money and perhaps generate more sales, but it's not a game I or most people here would be interested in.

Upvote 0
Far enough...I just don't understand why limit your yourself to one small group of players. I've never seen pro gamers like Tek9 playing RO, but it would be nice to see it. Enough said. Regardless, I'll be buying RO2 for sure. Can't wait!!! :cool: Here's another cool video though. Check it out. lol YouTube - JERRY MICULIK FASTEST REVOLVER SHOOTER IN THE WORLD IPSC
I think COD players are less retarded and more adaptable then you suggest. Particularly the PC players are who are still infuriated over the whole no dedicated servers thing (as well they should be).

Having FFA (which COD players would likely jump into first) would probably be far more likely to turn COD players away because of the one-shot-one-kill bolts, ballistics, deadliness of MGs, etc. It'd just be a madhouse, even more so than FFA on that tiny COD map with the crates (can't remember which one it was lol, think MW1). Plus everyone would be taking snipers and semi-autos and MGs (except for those exceptional bolt players who would find a nice corner and pick people off from 300 meters)... it'd just be absurd.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, I disagree, but I'll download RO, and check it out tonight. Anyone suggest a clan or active server to play and BS? Thanks Any idea when beta testing will start?
Join the TWB servers, they're always full.

If you want a slightly more COD-like experience (i.e. more frantic), join the 24/7 Danzig server. Oh and expect to get your head blown off repeatedly by people who you have no idea where they're shooting from... at least for a week or so :p. It's like that for everyone at the start. And keep in mind most of the people still playing RO have been playing it for 5 years.

Then get Darkest Hour (free mod, takes same gameplay and puts in on the western front with a few improvements IMO, google it) and hop on the full servers there (usually the 29th server... join the FK one if you want a bit more realism---no kill messages, though usually it's only full on weekends) DH has some really really bad maps though... but some gems as well. Stick to RO first though, pretty much all the maps on the main servers are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Personally I would not mind a FFA game-mode, if it was well designed. So what if 90% are of some class? It is supposed to be a cluster-**** anyway so who cares what it would play like? As long as the spawning is done in a good way.

The TDM in RO2 is called "Firefight", but more than that we don't know. This is imo more important than FFA, as you play it for the same reason as FFA. For ****s and giggles and not having to hear people yell "omfgzomfgorzor go for the obejctives noobs" if you would do that on a normal server ^^.

I am all up for "cheap/dirty/sinister" ways to lure people into the game or get them to stay, but not with features that makes the game itself worse.

BIGGEST NO NO from me for giving experienced players the redicolous advantage of lesser recoil, faster reload or whatever (even if it woul be realistic).

Unlocking classes in some way is a good idea, so that classes that needs knowledge about the game-play to be played as they are supposed to is played by people with enough experience.

Steam achivements are a good idea as it can only affect how people act, for good and bad.

Scoring system is a good idea for the same reason as Steam achivements.

Unlocks that have trade-offs like bigger zoom on scope (obvious trade-off) or bigger magazine (if the gun get's heavier and the negative effect of that).

Rankings of stuff. Especially things that are not related to in-game itself. Like an MG course, where you perhaps unlock the MG after doing well enough, where it is impossible to reach highest score. A good place for people to show "haha I can aim with the MG" or "look at my zomg bolt skills".

Reactions: wahoo4
Upvote 0
I like the fact you can't always tell if you hit someone, but I wish there was a +1 on the screen when you killed them. lol There's something very satisfying about seeing that +1 when you quick scope someone. :D

Yeah I very much wish they would do a FFA game mode. I don't always want to think hard. I just want to run around and shoot peeps. lol I think I would only play RO if that was the case. All I'm saying is there are a ton of casual clans that play FFA. It would be worth the sales to include it. Anyone use Xfire here?

Upvote 0
With the new map system, I think it would be the best FFA out there. If the map adjusts to the player count in game from what I read. Just a thought.

I think COD players are less retarded and more adaptable then you suggest. Particularly the PC players are who are still infuriated over the whole no dedicated servers thing (as well they should be).

Having FFA (which COD players would likely jump into first) would probably be far more likely to turn COD players away because of the one-shot-one-kill bolts, ballistics, deadliness of MGs, etc. It'd just be a madhouse, even more so than FFA on that tiny COD map with the crates (can't remember which one it was lol, think MW1). Plus everyone would be taking snipers and semi-autos and MGs (except for those exceptional bolt players who would find a nice corner and pick people off from 300 meters)... it'd just be absurd.

Upvote 0
I like the fact you can't always tell if you hit someone, but I wish there was a +1 on the screen when you killed them. lol There's something very satisfying about seeing that +1 when you quick scope someone. :D
This is probably the most intrusive and annoying feature ever introduced to FPS gaming. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
snuffeljuret if the advantages were small I think it would be a neat feature RO2 could brag on to promote the game. Again they can always make a HC mode where none of those things are enabled. Sorry, but I would just love to see RO2 stomp COD into the ground. Right now, as is I think it will slip off fast to a small community. Tripwire would not be selling out if they just made it a game option. This will lure many people into the game. I'm sure of it. Then say good by to COD when the word spreads. lol :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they are trying to make the game more accessable to players of other games and then hook them with the more interesting gameplay. You know, show everyone that a PC game can be more than the dumbed down versions the big developers are pushing out nowadays. Sure there are players who will never get into this style of playing, but then I'm sure there are many out there who don't even realize this decent style of playing even exists.

I know I don't only speak for myself, but I don't want ROHOS to be anything like COD. At all.

As far as some of the other things you mentioned, I'm sure that someone out there can make a mutator that shows all those things you seem to enjoy such as the +1 hit, and then there might be the possibility that some of those features you don't want to see can be set by the server admins.

Hopefully we can convert you and your friends fully over to the RO experience.

Upvote 0
Well I am opposed to anything that is bad for competitive play :p. If I get recoil reduction when I play pub I will play worse in competitive where it is turned off. Same with restricted guns and unlocks and all that. Same with abusing glitches that are not allowed in competition.

The more competiton differs from public, the worse the competitive scene gets.

+ I am not sure if I have misinterpreted anything here, but isn't the idea to have servers where you need a specific range of level to play on? Like a server setting where lvl 20-29 (of choice ofc) can play. That kind of removes the whole idea of giving experienced players game-designed advantages :p. But ofcourse servers can allow lvl 1-50 and all that...

If RO2 is designed like COD, it will lose many players once COD8 is released just like COD7 will. And LIke COD6 did when COD7 was released. Designing a game after COD is to sell copies, NOT to sustain a high player base. There won't be a RO3 2012, There won't be a RO4 in 2013 and there won't be a RO5 in 2014. Therefor the RO franchise will not get those players back it loses to the COD franchise.

Everybody say NO to built-in advantages that encourage players to pub-stomp, it's not good for anyone! Not only that, the players that for a while stick to RO2 only becuase of these evil features w i l l n o t s t a y. At least not in the numbers that makes up for the disadvantages of such a system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
snuffeljuret if the advantages were small I think it would be a neat feature RO2 could brag on to promote the game. Again they can always make a HC mode where none of those things are enabled. Sorry, but I would just love to see RO2 stomp COD into the ground. Right now, as is I think it will slip off fast to a small community. Tripwire would not be selling out if they just made it a game option. This will lure many people into the game. I'm sure of it. Then say good by to COD when the word spreads. lol :eek:
They sold half a million copies with no promotion whatsoever and a far less accessible game, with no (real) singleplayer.

Now they're on the front of PC gamer and doubtless have lots more advertisement stuff planned... Ramm already said they're gonna spend more on advertising alone than it cost to make RO1 lol. Plus it's pretty and shiny and most of all different. And more accessible what with the optional HUD that can be turned off.

It'll sell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI will make good sells on this one,no they wont get filthy rich but they will be very well off for sure...
The direction TWI going with this game is the right way,if for example they turn RO into COD style everytime new COD game comes out or other game alike COD,cluster **** gamers will move onto the new thing and there will be few to play RO because TWI will lose their true RO gamers.

But the direction they have now with RO whoever is new to the game,plays it and likes it he is hooked to life!!!! I have uninstalled all my COD games including BF2,BC2 after I played ROOST and DH mod...I will most likely never land my hands on any other FPS game build with crosshairs on screen in mind!!!!

RO2 will attract lots of new commers,but by time RO3 comes out there will be so many converters and PC players hungry to have good FPS true PC game,you will then see COD and BF franchise targeting this indie in terms of sales but most likely not quality because all of this big companies wants the big bucks for less inovation and work put into the game while spending million and millions on advertising to fool people into buying their games.

I do want tWI to get filthy rich,but I also want them to stay true to their fans as their fans are true to them....Its a love and joy relationship,if they keep this relationship after theyy go big,there will be iven more love in the air LOL.:D

Reactions: Fuhrer Cool
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.