• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First Impressions

I was a huge RO fan on UT2003 and 2004.
Been absent from the game though for a year though. I just have to say I dont remember the game being this bad! I mean WOW! Ohhh i thought i was playing wolfenstien on my 386 pc. Oh what happend!? I mean is this a downgrade from UT2004s? Ohhhh Never regreted wasteing money on game in ages but OHHH this hurt.

Great effort and all and nothing to do with tripwire but man oh man!

First DOD and now RO
When will refunds happen on steam!?

at least add AA and AF in options

Upvote 0
Spoon said:
I was a huge RO fan on UT2003 and 2004.
Been absent from the game though for a year though. I just have to say I dont remember the game being this bad! I mean WOW! Ohhh i thought i was playing wolfenstien on my 386 pc. Oh what happend!? I mean is this a downgrade from UT2004s? Ohhhh Never regreted wasteing money on game in ages but OHHH this hurt.

Great effort and all and nothing to do with tripwire but man oh man!

First DOD and now RO
When will refunds happen on steam!?

absolutely ridiculous. For someone who played the mod pretty extensively from what I remember (may be thinking of someone else), how on earth could you ever think that this version is worse than the mod version?

Upvote 0
The game is great. But the graphics are horrible, its disguting. And i know god damn well its not my computer. I might not have that god of a computer, but something that can run CoD2 on max settings, BF2 on high, and HL2, CSS on max, i think its good. I love the game, but everything is just so HORRIBLE. And the movemtn looks horrible, They looks like skipping robots when they are running normally. The legs move, but the upper body dosnt move AT ALL. When they run, it looks good, kind off. But still, it just the graphics. And graphics is something that has never really been fixed in a patch. So the kinda patch they are gonna have to make is like some 600MB patch, wich is doubtfull. The maps are huge, and its nice, but its hard to find people and kill them, cause they are so far away, they look like little black dots. Im pissed, really pissed. I thought this game was going to releave me of COD2. And it looks like its not going to. The only thing that is keeping me for going nuts is that i know i didnt spend 50 or 60 bukcs on this game. Only 20, but money is money none the less.

Upvote 0
Wow. I Can't sit back and read all these complaints and resist the temptation of adding my own two cents. Seriously though, the game doesnt look that great, but since when did that take heed over a great playing game? This Summer i spent over 2500 bucks on building my new machine with dual sli cards, tons of ram and all that great stuff. All so I can play games that look and run great on my system. I got one of those games when i picked up FEAR, dod:s, and cod2. Yea they looked and ran amazing but there was somthing lacking. Along comes RO from an indy dev. and it doesnt look at nice visually but delivers gameplay and excitment exceeding that of the aformentioned tenfold. Hands down. I am not an old school RO fan boy, but someone who has just played the game for the first time ever today. I must say, Tripwire you guys are definatly going in the right direction and keep on truckin! Aftrer pouring all that money into a system to play a game that probably uses a third of my resources maxed out, you'd think I'd feel cheated or pissed... Am I? F**k no! Back the the front with me!

Thanks TW for delivering and delivering big! The Graphics will come guys but if your any kind of a gamer you know a good game when you play it regardless.

Upvote 0
Very annoyed that "preloading" leaves me with around 100MB to download before launching. Steam said it was updated fully before I tried to launch, so this is quite bizarre, not to mention expensive - if I'd known about this before hand I'd have bloody waited till offpeak times to launch, instead of using up nearly a week's worth of download limit in a single afternoon.

Will post impressions of the game itself... once I've actually had time to play it. Probably not for quite a long time since my half-day off work is being wasted waiting for it to download.

Regards

Upvote 0
First thing I noticed was all the sexy new static meshes in these maps. I'm really looking forward to editing this now-- can't guarantee I finish a level though. :D

Second thing I noticed is ow freaking awesome the rifles are now. Manual bolting really adds a lot, and the new sounds are so crisp and clear. I love it.

Abot the HDR thing: I think it's a quite nice touch. Yes, it does make everything blurry, but think about it: the human eye does that too. In real life, not everything is clear and perfect. It gets real hard to distinguish small objects far away, like a prone player moving, in real life. At least, my eyes do. I know I have average, if not better-than-average eyesight. Anyway, this is the first game I've seen to model that in game, whether it was on purpose or not.

Also, you people really need to remember one thing: The game has been out for less than a freaking day, and it was released on Steam. This means that the DEVs can freely add new content as they wish. And they can optimize the game more so it runs better.

Upvote 0
Things I like:
-tank combat. It's great, best I've seen in any game so far. In fact tank combat seems a lot smoother and more polished than the infantry stuff imo.
-iron sights, models. The safety on the k98 is wrong. I really hope that's soon fixed, but the rest of it looks good so far.
-Manual bolting. It's a great system.
-Weapons shot out of hand. It's a shocking experience to run into a room and realize you left your mp40 back in the street.
-sounds are very good
-most weapons related animations look great.

Things I don't like:
-The way the guy fumbles with the reload on all unscoped bolt actions. He pulls back on the last round in the clip for some reason, which seems pretty unlikely in my experience with mausers and mosins. Imo if you want to have an animation in which the guys has difficulty loading, make it so that he has difficulty inserting the clip into the clip guide.
-the way your character decocks pistols before sprinting. Decocking before holstering it makes sense, but in reality you'd just keep your finger out of the trigger guard. Also, the p38 should not need to be recocked before firing, it's double action.
-General spontaneous lag, shots somehow missing targets that should not have missed. I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens before I get all huffy about this though.

Things I don't understand:
-Can you move your eye closer to the scope when using scoped rifles? The scope seems smaller/farther away when I play than what I've seen in videos.
-How much does the bayonet really affect your accuracy?
-Do different guns take longer to bring up iron sights?

Upvote 0
The mod felt WAY more solid. Thought the models and animation were alot better and gameplay was very sold and played well.
I dont know why leaning was added becuase such a wast of buttons which is really needed since people dont like going outside there 9 keyboard buttons plus space, shift and ctrl. Its becomeing crazy.
Models look like they were brought out further from screen which i dont enjoy and the the buttstock animation is really bad,it looks like hes muzzle stocking someone from behind.

I really feel since engine is dated that even though tanks were done verywell, to much time went into them and becuase of engine they shouldnt have botherd. The tank maps are like playing jeepathon for Counterstrike. They are just plain ugly maps which doesnt make it enjoyable. At least leave tanks in some urban maps.

Also sound effects dont help neather. I dont know if its becuase dod:s just has way better sound but i dont find RO sound effects that rich in sound and the effects alone are dull. Its like first graphics are dated and now sound got hit too.

I remember mod version had Amazing sound and felt like movies. Loved the kar sound.. pistols mg42.. Just beutiful!

I just think that they abused there skill when they realized the engine they working with. Urban maps is where this mod was GOLD! and should have focused on that instead of abusing your power on a old engine.

Upvote 0
well, as a first time RO player, all i have to say is this game's awsome. the gameplay is unreal. it's so different from anything else i've ever played. the cover system allows for some great fire fights. and the graphics are actually pretty good for an aging engine, definately not as good as DoD:S but the gameplay is so much better imo. the 3rd person animations look somewhat robotic, their upper body doesn't move at all. but it doesn't matter, i'll take gameplay over graphics anyday. can't wait to see what these guys do with the unreal 3.0 engine.:D

Upvote 0
Well first impressions on training were, mmm Graphics don't look to hot but after three hours of online play without even a hint of lag they look awesome.
The water is fantastic, the bloom effect makes things look more natural when you are running around, its just like how the eye works its peripheral vision.
There is one map where the Germans get raped whilst attacking some trenches but that was the only duffer of the night.
The graphics are a vast improvement over the mod versions.
I'm running at 1600x1200 everything on high with a 6800gt, none of my clanmates had any complaints about the visuals and all ran it smooth as silk.
I thouroughly enjoyed one hell of a nights gaming, thanks chaps.

Upvote 0
That was my thought, and my hope... The MOD version several builds back, looked and felt real good.. So i had alot of hope that a much more mature version would be icing on the cake, and it turned out totally opposite to my surprise.... What a let down, i still can't get over it... Don't worry, my lamenting ass should be over this tommorow, and back to my other games... But i do wanna point out something... This is the mixed feelings about this whole thing.. The tripwire staff has been nothing but professional on the forums, they are hard workers, and i only have a little modding experience, but, the amount of work that had to go into a full conversion is quite simply dedication, I do not want to take anything away form those guys... But, i am a man that will definitely admit when he is wrong, and I've had to do that with all the rant about how RO is gonna be the next ****! Maybe i convinced myself because there was nowhere else to go after the pathetic release of COD2... I'm having to eat my words, which i am man enough to do.. I was wrong about RO, and it saddens me... I thought i was gonna be able to say EAT **** IW!! And my god i wish i could have.. And before i hear, "You just cant handle realism", thats where i was hoping the COD series would go... The realism part is a great part of what attracted me to RO..

Upvote 0
Quite impressed with the non-tank maps. RO has always been a great game in that respect. The tanks are fun, but not as satisfying as the non-vehicle combat. But thats always been the way I felt.

As far as the comments on poor graphics... well, I dont know what to tell ya guys. I found the settings to be stunning and engrossing. Im quite inpressed with what Tripwire has done with the Unreal Engine 2. There have been a few times where I stopped in a firefight to admire the surroundings... only to get my head blown off. Its true that the engine is not as advanced as the doom and source engines, and if that what people expected, you really should have read the forums and checked screenshots a bit closer beforehand.

I feel RO:O has really managed to pull together beauty and gameplay into a fantastic, solid, and most of all fun game experience.

Upvote 0
I think the graphics are pretty damn good. I have a low end machine 1.8 cpu G-force 5600 1 gig ram
I have my display at 1152 x 864 and most things set to normal, I can't imagine how great they look on a high end machine.
I think the game plays great, no lag, and all 4 servers at AHGN are full and a few times I jumped out and had to wait to get back in.
Great work guys, RO kicks the **** out of the other WWII fps.
Lex

Upvote 0
Things I like:

- graphics are outstanding, better than I'd expected. I don't have any trouble with FPS on my P4 2.8GHz, 9800 Pro system - using standard D3D, not DX9 (doesn't bother me - hadn't expected to be able to use that anyway).
- tank combat is neat, though the step between fast turret rotation and fine-tuning seems a bit big - that's probably just a practice issue
- weapon anims look good
- weapon recoil/control looks good at first glimpse
- better MG deploy/IS system rocks
- aiming over the top of cover rocks
- T60 goes off! Bup-bup-bup-bup-bup [:D]

Things I don't like:
- infantry movement seems unrealistically fast, like watching a movie being fast-forwarded
- not being able to have ZoneAlarm installed - hopefully this will get fixed soon
- load times are about 3-4 minutes on my system, extremely annoying if you happen to join a server right before a map change.
- BS 'preload then DL another 100MB before being able to play'

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, given I've only been able to play for about 20min (having spent a good 15min looking at various map loading screens before getting into a stable server).

Regards

Upvote 0