• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First Impressions

Ok now that I've played RO for several hours, I'll write here a few sentences too.

First of all the Game is a bit better than expected.
Ok, some textures and models are not very impressing (a few really bad) , but the sounds and the atmosphere is awesome.
The gameplay is just as I expected very good. But I was surprised that the tankbattles are so exiting... I played with a friend together in a tank and hours passed and nobody noticed :D .

I can only say that it was the right thing to buy this game ... ok but now it's time to play some more:cool:

Upvote 0
Neuraxis said:
First impression? Well, seeing as I was on TeamSpeak with my clan, everybody was shouting and complaining about Steam not working properly again. Including myself. :p

Oh, the game itself, yes. Well, I was surprised how the pings were aboslute ****.

It's because your used to pings like 20 on games like CS... A ping of 100 is classed as good on ROOst, live with it and get used to it. A ping of 150 is still playable, I usually get a ping ob about 60 so I'm happy.

Upvote 0
First impressions to me:
* Steam problems, or undocumented features. Solved at day 2.
* Gameplay compairing to mod:
+ gameplay is faster. Everything moves faster.
+ More detailed graphics
- Everything looks smaller. Or is it just in my mind?
- New and different keymapping. Well, I have to learn new keys.
- Map screen. In the mod map was more clear to me. Now there are smaller details and useless stuff. Map screen should also be smaller. So you could look quickly to map and move and see something on the game at same time. What is that arrow in map screen?
- Compass. Why? Can it be removed?
- For me its harder to hit.
+ Sound effects. Super.
- No Koitos1944 map. We need it!
- Servers full of new players who are learning to play ro -> no-one have an idea what to do. :)

Upvote 0
dktekno said:
Why is this game just another WW2 game in the row of the many other WW2 games that promised everything from realism to good sounds and graphics, and what do we get? A load of crap.

Very disappointed.

I thought TW was somebody who really wanted to make a WW2 game that could beat any other game. Well, it has many feautures. But besides of that, everything is crap. Sounds, graphics, movements and physics. They look and sound good in the media - but in game, even on the highest settings, everything sucks. It is a low class cheap game.

Tracers are only for russians.

The player movements looks robotic.

The dynamical ambience is load of crap. It doesnt exist. What do exist is a wav-file playing over and over again.

Just another game to be put on the shelf...

Judgements, from a person who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Forgetting your silly gfx whine, I can tell you that there are tracers in german weapons too.

Upvote 0
I most definately second that...
i remember when i stopped playing for a long time i came back and got so frustrated because i really sucked at the game and couldnt hit a thing now id like to call my self quite the sharpshooter, so give yourself some time you will pick up on it, im a BF2 player also but at the moment im trying to make my whole clan buy RO:OST so we can play that game fully.
Give it a chance you will love it.
[)z(]Protector

Upvote 0
I can't read anymore. Gave up on page 5.

My current system (being replaced this week):
P4 1.7 YES, 1.7
1 gig RAM
5700LE video 128

- I ran the beta in 1128x and had GREAT performance, better than CrapOftheDay2. The graphics are FAR better than in other games at same res.
- When I first got into the retail, I was in DX9 mode and ran BETTER than CoD2 in DX9!! Broke 25FPS vs about 8 in CoD2...
- Tweaked my graphic settings in 'custom' and went down to 1024x and still was satisfied...not wonderful but decent. Running in Direct3D now, I assume is DX7.

MAKE SURE you change OFF from the DX9 settings if your FPS are tanking. And tweak the custom graphic settings. I can't understand how some of you with 2 or 3x the machine I have are doing same/worse FPS wise.

I will admit, however, that is seems my system is working a bit harder with the retail than beta versions. My first server experience was high ping, nearly 200 but switching to another with a 60ish ping was golden.

You have to invest several hours in this game to get the feel of it. You have to tweak your system settings. This stuff about being locked into one display mode is NOT the games fault.

***EDIT***
After going back and reading from page 6 onward...
I'm a guy that spent nearly 4 years mapping/modding for Mohaa and CoD1 and UO. The lack of detail on the maps is absolutely an engine restraint. I built what amounts to the largest maps for United Offensive, about 1km square. The Quake3 engine does some things better but the UT2.5 engine does more things better. On big maps, you MUST sacrifice details for performance. Sure, we'd all love big wheat/grass fields to drive through on 'Arad', but we'd much rather have 30 FPS than 3. Right? It's about gameplay people. NOT how pretty it is.

By and large, the maps look amazing. Is there honestly, a better OVERALL looking map than "Kongisplatz" anywhere out there??? Certainly not in the CoD franchise. And sounds?? My god, I wonder what some of you are playing with. I have an Audigy2 5.1 system running and the surround sounds kick the snot out of anything I have played before. Sure, there are issues, all games have them, but what it boilds down to is that THIS game does more things RIGHT than just about anyone else out there.

In closing: I said many times... 50% or more of the CoD players will NOT like RO. They will ***** and moan from minute 2 of their play experience. It is just not for them...too slow, too realistic, too un-headless chicken style- too anything. And to generalize, the majority of those dissatisfied brats will just be bashing RO for the fact that it IS in fact drawing players and modder talent from CoD and rightfully so. If you don't like the game...fine. Say so in a mature, line-item way. Don't start ranting and raving because you're pissy over the CoD2 debacle. Apples and Oranges...they are both fruit, but that's where it stops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting on how quickly this thread grew.

wanted to throw my .02 into the mix.

I dont come from the CS or CoD games. I never really liked that style of play, and I prefer the BF42 / WW2OL gameplay.

I HATED BF2 and the "Flying Deathstars" ie Choppers. We have a pretty big multi-game guild, and BF42 was very popular, but BF2 almost drove us to drink. The potential - sigh.

So far, I love RO. The gameplay immerses you. You feel the need to find cover, watch your flanks, (or try to flank), and lay down cover fire. Once players get used to the maps and style of play, strategy will play a huge role.

Graphics are what you would expect from the UT2.5 engine. Some of the textures are muddy, but I think it adds some realism to the game. A few animation quirks in spots.

Maps- havent played all of them yet, but so far impressed. Good logical chokepoints to hold and defend. Plenty of cover to get prone.

Havent had the oportunity to tank yet- but looking forward to it.

Minor complaints-

Arty - some cases almost too pwerfull?
In practice mode- the Bots arent the smartest in the world.

I had no issue with Steam downloading as others have mentioned- smooth as silk

Coming from a dedicated BF42 group (that hates BF2, CS, CoD), that originally started with WW2OL, the realism and gameplay is what counts. Pretty graphics only last so long if the game is not fun. We are currently looking for a game- and hopefully RO will help fill that void.

RO gives a good blend of decent graphics with fantastic gameplay.

Thanks Tripwire team

[IR] Barnes

Upvote 0
Well what can i say, its been one night since i started playing, i played for about 6-7 hrs straight maybe, it was that addictive. Went to bed thinking about it and fell into a deep slumber.
My first impressions wern't that good, i felt a little let down because the map i was playing Arad was little more than a few buildings and forest patch on a sand table. It seemed really basic and the graphics wern't as good as i expected even though i amped it up the highest settings, most dissapointing thing was the inability to see much stuff thats in the distance even at the highest resolution, you had to get use to no zoom and the skins of the players to prevent ff. I just ran around and got confused which way i was going and followed the crowd and held my fire because id i didn't know who was friendly. When the map changed though, i thought it got alot better especially as you gain more experience, some maps are better than others but the experience is the same, it was tricky getting use to all the keys and the amount of bullet deflection really threw me but im use to it now. It is the finest game in its class, some urban maps are noticably constricted but others seem really big especially the farm levels. The game was pretty stable i didn't get many disconnects for hours on straight, the german sniper weapon might need to be improved coz i couldnt hit many people but the rest of the weapons were really good, its amazing how instinctive hip shooting comes to you when you dont have a cross hair, it made it extra satisfying when i made a kill. Tank combat is especially thrilling, its a little tricky at driving but once you get over that its all good, plus the discovery of the brake helped alot. I was in a tank with a guy and he had voice and was the gunner/cmdr. I suggest you newbies learn about angling your tanks towards enemies to ensure deflection, using this knowledge we were able to defeat 5-6 tanks in one go taking about 7-8 shell hits most of whom had deflected, one of the shells got thru early and made the tank damage yellow but we took another 3 -4 shells before we succumbed to damage. Its great working together as a commander and driver, especially when you make a great run together. Don't mistake our run for a typical tanker experience, we sometimes succumbed to just 1-2 shells straight away and it was frustrating having to run and drive back to the battle. All in all there is no other experience like this so far, play it now!

Upvote 0
I posted my own first impressions in another thread that sank like a stone in a dead man’s pocket.

I enjoyed reading this entire thread. It still amazes me how emotional people get about something like a video game –myself included.

Some things in response to all this response.

1. “Different = bad.” This is simply human nature. We are as a species programmed to find anything that is new and different automatically something to be shunned, disliked or feared. Newcomers to RO and veterans alike are simply reacting to RO: Ost being something different from what they are used to.

It makes me think of my reaction and online review of the film Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. I had waited YEARS for that picture. When I saw it the first time it sickened my heart. This was not what I was looking forward to! This was not what I expected!!! I could not see the forest for all the trees. All I saw was what was different from the book, from my own hopes and imaginings. Sadly and with sagacity of the amateur enthusiast, I could “not recommend it it to anyone”.

Well that all changed by the third viewing. I had been so caught up in what was not there compared to my imagination and expectations that I did not notice all the things they got right or did great.

I see the same sort of thing displayed in so many of these posts.

As such people coming from other shooters will automatically think the game sux. People who played the mod to death and loved it will play the retail version and be disappointed or let down or whatever.

All because what they are seeing or experiencing is different.

2. Game graphics are art. Every artist has a different interpretation of what is “real” or “lifelike”. Every time I see a new game it appears “cartoony” to my eyes, because my brain has come to see some other game as “lifelike”.

My first impression about the graphics was similar to many things expressed so far in this thread. The men running over the land do look like they are imposed upon an unrelated background. The trees and bushes look SO different from the mod. And well, the familiar maps are DIFFERENT, damn it! LOL

But that does not mean all that are “bad” things or “wrong” things. I am glad Kaukaus now has so much green, gentle slopes. The Back Route could have been painted by Tolkien himself! So many of the mod maps were gray shale and dry, lifeless stone. It is nice to see some healthy landscapes. It makes the apocalyptic ruin of other maps that much more gut wrenching.

I played for three hours straight last night. Everything that stuck out as an “eye sore” when I first logged in went unnoticed after a short time. By the time I had to begrudgingly turn it off and go to bed at 1:30 AM I wondered what I was so upset about earlier in the evening.

If there are games with graphics way better than this, I want to see them. I certainly haven’t seen them yet. But then, I have limited experience. I like WWII infantry games. I was very into Red Baron II in the old days. Then I went through the whole Close Combat series. Medal of Honor , Call of Duty and BF42 followed.

I was always having to seek out realsim mods and except for smoke nades in COD no realism mod comes close to what you get in RO and RO: Ost. I have not played Call of Duty from the day I played the RO mod last summer. I did buy that Brothers in Arms game. I think that might be a good comparison for what I keep hearing on here today. Brothers in Arms was super-hyped. It meticulously recreates the exact houses and streets the men really fought on and tries to recreate real life events in terms of specific firefights. It has superb looking foliage and water and stones and the sounds of the M-1s are fantastic. It has a lot of extra graphics stuff where you move out over top of the battle and see it from all sides, like a TV special on the History Channel.

And it is so boring to play I did not get through the first half of the first level and never once had interest in playing it again. Every fight was exactly the same, lay down suppressing fire, run around the side to outflank them, shoot them in the back. Over and over, with enemy bots calling out “Flanken” so you knew when they were going to flank you.

For all its killer graphics it was as fun as peeling turnips.

I did post some quick love, not so love, could be better stuff in my other thread. I will wait until I get a lot more playing under my belt before I say any more.

But, and it is a big but, the map loading times are reallllly awful.

How can Stalingrad Kessel load in 10 seconds on the mod and 4 minutes on the retail??????? This means I am sentenced forever to bolt rifle, unless there server is half empty. On the mod I was always in the first few guys on and had my pick of the litter. On RO:Ost I spawn and the Russians already have the warehouse and have blown a hole in NA so I spawn at SA and am shot leaving the railyard by someone on the Assembly Hall roof.

The slow load times are simply unacceptable for anything like daily playing. This has GOT to be changed, ether by tweaking my Pent 4, 2.36 Ghz, 1gb RAM, 128 mb Radeon 9800 Pro or by tweaking the game.

I am totally open to suggestions to improve this.

As for now, I am buying pizza on the way home so I can get back to playing as soon as absolutely possible.

And as to my gallant foe, whom I shall be seeing tonight, “My only regret is that our encounter will be . . . so brief.” Woo ha ha ha haaaaaaa

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a load of crap

a load of crap

dktekno said:
Why is this game just another WW2 game in the row of the many other WW2 games that promised everything from realism to good sounds and graphics, and what do we get? A load of crap.

Very disappointed.

I thought TW was somebody who really wanted to make a WW2 game that could beat any other game. Well, it has many feautures. But besides of that, everything is crap. Sounds, graphics, movements and physics. They look and sound good in the media - but in game, even on the highest settings, everything sucks. It is a low class cheap game.

Tracers are only for russians.

The player movements looks robotic.

The dynamical ambience is load of crap. It doesnt exist. What do exist is a wav-file playing over and over again.

Just another game to be put on the shelf...
thats right just another game for the self to collect dust on. im a shame that steam/valve would carry this game. I guess TR coulnt make any money on there other crappy games they have. If your going to put out something do it right and back it up with great graphics, player models and some of the other great stuff that makes EA, Activision and steam great........

Upvote 0
Boyd said:
thats right just another game for the self to collect dust on. im a shame that steam/valve would carry this game. I guess TR coulnt make any money on there other crappy games they have. If your going to put out something do it right and back it up with great graphics, player models and some of the other great stuff that makes EA, Activision and steam great........

If you're going to make a pointless moan, at least use the proper abbreviation for Tripwire.

Upvote 0