• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First Impressions

I finally got it to work. First impression: must be an acquired taste. The graphics are poor. The first time I saw myself explode into bloody bits (something I had been looking forward to), it was reminiscent of older games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Not realistic at all. The sounds of the game are excellent. It's scary when a tank fires nearby. So far, it appears that you can't view your tank in 3rd person. You get this tiny slit to see through. I guess that's realism for you, but I can't see where I'm going! I've only played for 10 minutes, so it's really too early to review the game. It looks like the learning curve will be pretty steep. Tons of controls, and all different than what I'm used to playing Battlefield 2 all the time. Anyway, back I go to the game...

Upvote 0
well you said it yourself you play BF2 all the time. That game to mee is abhorrently unrealistic and I cant play it for more than 15 minutes once every PC install or so lol. The graphics are all show on BF2 as you all know since you have to shoot someone in the back 20 times and then when your clip is empty he can turn around and kill you. THat is an exact description of my BF2 experience.

on another note I didnt know that you could blow yourself up in this version though I desperatley hope it looks better than you say.

Upvote 0
Captain_Vegetable said:
I finally got it to work. First impression: must be an acquired taste. The graphics are poor. The first time I saw myself explode into bloody bits (something I had been looking forward to), it was reminiscent of older games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Not realistic at all. The sounds of the game are excellent. It's scary when a tank fires nearby. So far, it appears that you can't view your tank in 3rd person. You get this tiny slit to see through. I guess that's realism for you, but I can't see where I'm going! I've only played for 10 minutes, so it's really too early to review the game. It looks like the learning curve will be pretty steep. Tons of controls, and all different than what I'm used to playing Battlefield 2 all the time. Anyway, back I go to the game...

If you have read the FAQs you would know that more than one person per tank is good as one can be the commander with a full view and can therefore tell the driver where to go.

Upvote 0
I have to agree the graphics are very disappointing the max resolution u can use is 1024x768 no wide screen format. I have everything cranked up and reminds me of some old school game 2yrs ago. The game play is real smooth and runs great no complaints . It will take awhile to get use to the slow game play which is fine different type of game than dods and some other ww2 games. The only thing that I'm disappointed in is the graphics not very good at all.

Upvote 0
SoAdCrAzY said:
If you have read the FAQs you would know that more than one person per tank is good as one can be the commander with a full view and can therefore tell the driver where to go.

That is not entirely correct - both driver and commander can open the hatch and put their head and shoulders outside to get (sorta) full 3D view of the surroundings.

It is my understanding, that they both risk eating a sniper's bullet that way.

So, when in combat zone, both driver and commander go inside, lock the hatch, and observe the field thru small slits. Commander's cupola on a tank has series of small slits all around, while driver has one, albeit bigger, slit for looking forward (and somewhat to the sides).

Bottom line of this is, driver is not a blind man waiting for commander to tell him where to go, he can drive his tank pretty much independently. Commander, though, has all-round slits, and he also fires the tank's cannon, so he's the man driver should listen when to stop, and where to go (in general).

Oleg

Upvote 0
=SoM=RuTHLeSS said:
I have to agree the graphics are very disappointing the max resolution u can use is 1024x768 no wide screen format. I have everything cranked up and reminds me of some old school game 2yrs ago. The game play is real smooth and runs great no complaints . It will take awhile to get use to the slow game play which is fine different type of game than dods and some other ww2 games. The only thing that I'm disappointed in is the graphics not very good at all.
You can only use up to 1024x768 res, no wonder it doesn't look "good" to you.

Upvote 0
I've been reading on the steam site and now dread getting home, only to download what I thought was already downloaded. I remember when HL2 launched the phrase "STEAMing pile of shite" was thrown around alot. The more things change . . . I hope the initial impression expressing disappointment is more because of unfamiliarity rather than game play.

For those that have been on, plz give us the goods on game play, server availability, lag, thrills and spills. Some of us are at work . . . some are still downloading, some are writing angry e-mails to valve.

Upvote 0