• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First Impressions

Congrats to all the Dev's, and everyone envolved. You ahve succeeded in making the most realistic WW2 shooter so far. The teamwork element as with RO3.3 is still excellent. Well done.

Great job guys, I do wish it was a little easier to see the iron sights on the rifles though, because on some of the maps with them being dark its hard to see were the hell your aiming and its hard to hit people as it is.

Upvote 0
Dirtnap said:
Congrats to all the Dev's, and everyone envolved. You ahve succeeded in making the most realistic WW2 shooter so far. The teamwork element as with RO3.3 is still excellent. Well done.

Great job guys, I do wish it was a little easier to see the iron sights on the rifles though, because on some of the maps with them being dark its hard to see were the hell your aiming and its hard to hit people as it is.
Welcome to war. Iron sights aren't always easy to see in the real world. 30-someodd years of shooting/hunting/plinking/competitive rifle have taught me that.

Oh, and about those buttstroke anims? Take a second and HOLD the alt/fire control down. You'll notice that it's a TWO-PART stroke, one that if you try it IRL has a built-in pause, just like the animation does. Very, very sweet.

Upvote 0
ok this is a mini flame but not ment to be taken to harshly.
In this post i see people saying they dont like the game and some people saying they do like the game, the ones who dont like the game get slagged off by some 2000 post guy and his m8s when the guys saying they dont like the game dont retaliate. Now thats expected to happen as the 2000 post guys cant stand the game they spent a year etc.. writing about being trashed, its understandable. The thing which anoys me is people come on and mention what they think and most of you say "are you mad its unreal engine 2.5 what did you expect!!!" Jeez comon guys use a bit of inteligence please, it dosent matter what engine it uses its a matter of it being a good game or not, fancy graphics dont make a great game but to use that line as its only defence is an injustice to the actual game itself. If its a good game itl hold its own and compete on it own.

Sure anyone who thinks the graphics are better then dod:s or bf2 need there eyes examined because the engine cant do what the source and bf2 engine can do. Dont hype this game into something its not because its something unique in its own right, Tripwire deserve massive credit for the hardwork they put into this game and im sure there go on to greater and bigger things. Just dont make this game out to be perfect and ground breaking compared to what else is out because its not. Everyone is entitled to there opinion so just because theres is different from yours dont act like an ass ok.

Upvote 0
Hey, I just got done playing the game for 3 hours and so far I think it's great!
It's just like the mod but better. So far I've played some snow board with tanks, Kaukas (I can't spell), some board with a tower (it starts with an O I think), and the board with the railroad and warehouse. The last board I played was the railroad one where I've done better than I ever did in the mod (led the scoreboard with 126 and I got the game winning kill:D) but it's probably just because people didn't know what they were doing. So far I like the leaning, new crouching system, MANAUL BOLTING:D, new vehicles, GORE, death animations, FULL AND NUMEROUS SERVERS, resting weapons, and new additions to old maps. I've also noticed that I've been able to shoot things more accuarately. I've don't know if they tweaked the Mosin Nagant's IS or what but I'm not complaning (oddly enough I shot way better with the non scoped Mosin Nagant than the scoped one). I also like the improved graphics, granted they aren't great, but it doesn't bother me much; Oblivion will take care of all my graphical needs in a week anyways. I'm disappointed with how bayonets are now. It's now harder to hit anything and you have to charge it up or else your be poking Germans 'till the cows come in. I was looking forward to bayonet charges, but it's just too hard to hit anything with it...oh well, I'll just practice on that a bit I guess. I just have one question, why do sappers get SMGs now? In the mod they had the ole reliable bolt action rifles. Other than some minor issues, this game is definately worth my $22. I just hope the devs continue to make content for it because 13 maps just won't cut it...by the way, RO on UE3 would BLOW MY MIND!

Upvote 0
Just a few thing's I've noticed.

Grenade fuses appear to be incredibly short. Maybe it's random or something and I just keep getting screwed over but everytime I cook a grenade it goes off in like a second and usually hurts me and my teammates.

The bayonet seems to be weaker lol. It seems to take 2 hits at times when in the mod it was a hit hit kill all the time. One thing I do like though is that you can hold the alt-fire bullet to kind of wind up the stab so that you don't have to wait as long for it to strike. Makes it a lot easier to line up and hit during a frantic CQB circle strafe-fest.

HDR is ****. lol It seems to just be a blur effect that makes everything.. well blurry. It's like I'm crying in fear 24/7 when I play with it on, which I suppose is realistic, as I would probably be doing just that in real life :p

Most of the new people really love to stack up a half-track and try to rush the front, which makes for a sweet bag-o-kills when you're in a tank.

Some of the maps, like Hedgehog seem a lot smaller then they used to be which makes me sad.

All in all, I'm digging OstFront, already blew a whole day on a single server.

Upvote 0
My impression after 1:30 hours

My impression after 1:30 hours

Got home and downloaded the update, probably 30 minutes. It was a bit of pain but not nearly as bad as I feared. Loaded the game without a hitch whatsoever. Then loaded up and set my controlls and video configs (custom high/very high:Amd 4200+ 64x2/NV7800GT/2gig). Then I jumped online.

GAME FLIPPIN ROCKS!!!! Absolutely better than I expected. Having played the mod several years ago I was pretty conservative in my expectations. Blown away by the quality of graffics from an older engine. Player animations are generally smooth environments are on on par with CODv. Ballistics modeling is amazing. Rifles have a gentle bob when standing and less when crouch or proned. SMG's are acurate the first shot and begin to spray if you dont let up. Made a 100 yard shot into the Eastern farmhouse window with rifle, beautiful shot, took 3 to hit the target in the lower left corner. Unfortunately it was a teammate.:(

Team ID is generally not a prob. Uni's are different enough to make Id simple. The only real issue is vehicle fatalities (runovers) and long distance shots into shadow.

OK, enough from me I gotta get back. Congrats and Thanks To the Trippy ones for bringing this awesome alternative to quake style FPS's. By the way I'm a huge CODv/UO fan and also Play BAttlefield 2. Game simply Rocks.:D

Upvote 0
First impressions:

Sorted out the server and then the client.....and THEN it got stressful!
Server was full for 6 hours straight 'til I had to sit back with shell-shock.

Man it's hard. You guys who have been playing for a couple weeks + take it easy...It took 3 hours to be able to walk straight, didn't know where I was going, fiddled with the grafx, got shot, fiddled with the grafx, got blown up, fiddled with the controls, got bayonetted then shot then blown up then called a n00b on my own server lol

The maps (apart from that valley thing) are awesome. Sound great, gameplay fabulous, 3 people working well in a tank is poetry. Gameplay par excellence.

Huge learning curve, skilful, nerve-jangling, taught, difficult, painful, rewarding, crushing, brilliant.

This Is War. I love it.

Come visit at 212.187.209.163
|26|5th|JavaDoc 32 Slot Red Orchestra Combat Server

Upvote 0
I don't understand the "graphics sucks, I fell cheated" people. It looks exactly like the screenshots and the movies released long before release. Did'nt you look at the screenshots and the movies before you bought it? Did you just buy it because it was new? Do you even have some of that grey/red goo stuff inside your skulle that's supposedly called a "brain" and used it to actually think before buying it?

Upvote 0
Ok heres my first impressions. A bloody good game! Im have compared some things to CoD2 as I know that many CoD2 players have switched to RO due to no CoD2 patch being released.

The player movement doesnt seem to be as smooth as most fps games, it feels a tad clunky. I would liken it to Battlefield 2 in that respect.

This is definatley not a spray and pray or gun and run game at all. Unless you are still, crouched or prone you dont stand much chance of hitting anything. So you have to take time over shots which rules out lucky noobs.:D CoD2 is a pick up and play game where its past paced action non stop. So far RO is not that at all so dont buy it if thats what you want in the game. However if you want a fun, non glitchy, realistic, nice looking fps then choose RO.

Takes a while to get used to the gameplay and buttons but after about an hours play you really start to enjoy it more. I couldnt tell freind from foe at first and neither could the other players especially at distance. However I soon learned to tell the difference and began to get used to the button config. As it is so much slower paced than most fps there is a great chance to emply tactics. This makes it particularly exciting for me as a clan member. With the size of maps stealth and flanking manouvers become a real possibility. The spawns back at base rather than at the cap points means that once an enemy is killed you dont have to worry about him coming round the conrer again in 10 secs likes on other shooters.

It runs very smooth in regards to lag. No lag at all from anyone as far as I could see. Needs the full 32 players otherwise you can get lost in the expansive maps without seeing anyone. I wouldnt say the graphics were bad really, just the terrain is not very detailed. I was not even running the game on the highest settings so I would have to see what they look like on those.

I would say it was worth

Upvote 0