• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dragon Age 2

Don't know if that's the right way to see it. ME is a very good game. One of the reasons why it appeals to me is because it's an action-RPG rather than a hardcore micromanagement RPG. So for me, making it more of an action RPG would be a step in the right direction.

I can understand if people don't like the change, though. But why not appreciate both? RPG-lite is fun too, if not more fun.

But ignore me, I've never played DA, nor the DA2 demo.

Upvote 0
I've played both, and I share Nim's opinion here. I like the more action oriented game. I didn't notice that much change tho (IMO, it should have gone even more into action, controlling your own movements and hits like in an Elder Scrolls)

If I want to go for a real hardcore RPG challenge, I'd play Icewind Dale II anyway, there you can even make your entire squad, import portraits, write their backgrounds and all that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But why not appreciate both? RPG-lite is fun too, if not more fun.

My point is that DA was not RPG-lite, therefor DA2 should also not be RPG-lite. Much like Vegas could probably be a nice 'tactical-lite' game but carrying the R6 name it's just a no-no.
I wouldnt mind Bioware making a light RPG every now and then but dont call it Dragon Age 2 because as such it completely sucks.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
My point is that DA was not RPG-lite, therefor DA2 should also not be RPG-lite. Much like Vegas could probably be a nice 'tactical-lite' game but carrying the R6 name it's just a no-no.
I wouldnt mind Bioware making a light RPG every now and then but dont call it Dragon Age 2 because as such it completely sucks.

I have to say I haven't played the demo yet, but I have to say that combat doesn't define an RPG for me. There are very good RPGs with action combat (Gothic series for example, or Jade Empire), and there are very good rpgs with tactical combat (Like the original Realms of Arcania games or Baldurs Gate).

For me, a RPG is about the story (and the choices you can make and how they affect it) and the characters. And those two are things that cannot be judged by the demo or the trailers.

So i for one still got my hopes up for DA2 being a good, engaging RPG.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
Ofcourse combat doesnt define the RPG but that still doesnt mean that the combat in a sequel needs a complete do-over to something more simplistic.
I like all kinds of RPG's, and Gothic is easily my favourite RPG EVER, and it is very different to DA in every possible way.
But my argument still stands. I simply do not approve of sequals doing things drastically different from their predecessors. A good sequal should be the same game as the original, but bigger and better, with improvements.

My idea of the perfect sequal would be Rogue Spear to the original Rainbow Six, which added stuff like leaning, proper sniper support, replay functions, extra gamemodes like terrorist hunt, etc. Everything else was still the same as the original, and it KEPT the strength of that original game because of it, but ADDED to it a whole lot more depth.
Much like ROHOS seems to be doing right now, with adding bullet penetration, different types of arty that can be called in, and all the other new features while still retaining the strengths of the original RO.
Now THAT's a proper sequal. DA2 just doesnt seem to do it that way, and i simply cant approve of that.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0