• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dragon Age 2

I've just reached Act II and it so far appears to only be set in Kirkwall with minor trips to the outside. I like the art design of Kirkwall and it's written history but it's size and general layout isn't really enough to sustain an entire story. Even with such a limited canvas they still manage to repeat certain caves and warehouses.

Adding voice to your character seems pointless, he only reads out what I've pressed in a rather stilted fashion and adds to the feeling I'm playing someone else rather than playing myself as in DA:O. Add to that his voice doesn't match the face I created only makes it worse.

The interludes where Varric is being interrogated feels like my path is predetermined, that I am only playing out a memory rather than forging my own path.

There are numerous pointless side quests, so for example; 'randomly come across item whilst adventuring, deliver quest with no story behind it is added, deliver item to said person in Kirkwall who was never there before and vanishes after delivery is made. Repeat.

It's dumbed down or stripped back with less emphasis on micro management. For example you can no longer change your party member's armour. They have set armour which you can improve by buying special upgrades from random places. Battles aren't as impressive, haven't come across a single battle yet that has required thought.

Apart from the negatives there is still much to enjoy, I can't say I've been bored. I don't want to criticise the game for criticisms sake but it's a big step back from DA:O. The scope of DA:O was huge so this feels like a big let down, more like a DLC add-on or something rather than a full blown sequel. However it is still an enjoyable action adventure.

DA:O felt like an updated Baldur's Gate, DA:2 feels more like a KOTR game. Good but not great :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have yet to play for it myself (Have to finish my DA:O playthrough first so I can import) but I have seen my brother play it a lot.

Repeated dungeons and travelling to the same areas of Kirkwall over and over again are really mind-numbing.

Also, I saw that his playthrough was a lot of "slash slash slash slash slash, Ok, bandits are dealt with. Oh look, more! slash slash slash slash slash slash. Oh look! A quest! I finished the quest? Oh, Ok. slash slash slash slash slash, more people in the way." Rinse and repeat.

It seems like the things that made DA2 not appealing could have been simple fixes. Hopefully the third release doesn't tumble like this one did.

DA2 isn't all bad! I still enjoy much of it. I just preferred DA:O to a higher degree.

Upvote 0