• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dragon Age 2

The IU is awful, (according to the demo) there appear to be even less spells and abilities than before, the graphics looked worse to me and ran terribly on my system (there is NO excuse for that ...), and the game played and felt like a cartoon to me.

I agree that the UI and graphics looks bad (the faces look good tho) but it ran like a charm on my system (and its old).

This is Dragon Age Lite to me. I mean the entire game's design is flawed compared to the original's in my opinion -- the best part about the first game was the fact that you could make a character that started from a whole crapload of different backgrounds. That's what added to the replayability. Now they have taken that away.

I prefer having a character that can actually talk. Thats the reason I disliked the original Dragon Age.

This one is a bit more like Mass Effect in that sense, which is a good thing for me.

Upvote 0
My only criticism is the combat style and animations. It's too fast paced and unreal. Even after the exaggerated tale by that dwarf or whatever, the characters were still doing inhuman feats while fighting (such as the super speed). It kind of reminded me of strange mix between God of War and Prince of Persia. I don't remember anything too extraordinary in Dragon Age.

Upvote 0
I agree that the UI and graphics looks bad (the faces look good tho) but it ran like a charm on my system (and its old).

I prefer having a character that can actually talk. Thats the reason I disliked the original Dragon Age.

This one is a bit more like Mass Effect in that sense, which is a good thing for me.
Yeah who knows why the game ran like crap on my PC. My guess is that there's some random compatibility issue between the game and one or more of my system's components.

But a PC with an i7 processor, 6 gigs of RAM, and a GTX 260 should NOT be chugging on this game. Regardless, that wasn't truly what disappointed me.

Upvote 0
This is an absolute crock of sh1te.

Look lets get things clear; how long was Dragon Age in development for? 6 or 7 years? It was in development a long time and you could bloody tell. It oozed quality and the developers poured passion into their work. Dragon Age remains one of my greatest interactive experiences ever.

You cannot follow something up like that in just over a year.

The design choices they talked about before realising this ****ty mess predicated this game was never going to live up to the original standards.

What with all the action, action, action? It tries to hard to by throwing it in your face - just like all the other crap that is out atm. The voice acting is dog****, the girl with the big tits and the start - my bosses 8 year old daughter could do better. Conversations did not flow right; it reminds me of a really, really poor channel 5 movie shown late on a Tuesday night.

No more tactical overview, combat is easy - jesus i just sat there and did nothing during the battle with the orge.

The interface is a picked away corpse of a mess. You can tell the ****ty consoles have had their influence over it.

Which brings me to another point - this is an RPG, lets use the right ****ing tools for the job. A mouse and keyboard please? That will do won't it? Not any more, its easier to market a game pad.

Same old story - lets churn out dog**** after dog**** year after year.

Alas there are more important things in life - peoples houses are falling down at the other side of the earth. However in quieter parts of the world; the games industry drives me ****ing insane.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Look lets get things clear; how long was Dragon Age in development for? 6 or 7 years? It was in development a long time and you could bloody tell. It oozed quality and the developers poured passion into their work. Dragon Age remains one of my greatest interactive experiences ever.

The design choices they talked about before realising this ****ty mess predicated this game was never going to live up to the original standards.

What with all the action, action, action? It tries to hard to by throwing it in your face - just like all the other crap that is out atm. The voice acting is dog****, the girl with the big tits and the start - my bosses 8 year old daughter could do better. Conversations did not flow right; it reminds me of a really, really poor channel 5 movie shown late on a Tuesday night.

No more tactical overview, combat is easy - jesus i just sat there and did nothing during the battle with the orge.

The interface is a picked away corpse of a mess. You can tell the ****ty consoles have had their influence over it.

Which brings me to another point - this is an RPG, lets use the right ****ing tools for the job. A mouse and keyboard please? That will do won't it? Not any more, its easier to market a game pad.

Alas there are more important things in life - peoples houses are falling down at the other side of the earth. However in quieter parts of the world; the games industry drives me ****ing insane.
I couldn't agree more. The first Dragon Age was indeed "oozing with quality." You could just tell -- it shined in every little detail.

This game feels like a rushed, half beta mess that looks and plays nothing like Dragon Age. It's really sad.

Upvote 0

This just about sums it up. Its gone from a good rpg to a God of War clone with loot and minus the combos.

I know its supposed to be a legend and what not so that may explain away some of the exaggerated characters, but they really took it too far. They reskined the darkspawn, which really didn't need it. They took Flemeth and destroyed the character that they made for her in the first one, the responses she gave sounded like a very different Flemeth. It reminded me of when Hollywood takes an excellent book and turns it into a terrible movie. It lost all of the depth of Origins

The biggest difference that I noticed that hasn't already been mentioned by Dcode is in the flow of the game. In DA:O, the battles were a way to progress the story. You explored the world and found battles in it.

In DA2, the story is just to tool to string the battles together. You have a zone and each zone has X waves of enemies. Once they are all dead, your health regenerates and you walk a little ways down a path to a cutscene. Rinse and repeat. After enough zones, you fight a boss. Defeat the boss, go through a cutscene. Cut to the dwarf in the chair. Repeat the entire cycle.

To put it bluntly, they took a 6 course meal from an excellent restaurant, put it in a blender, and tell you its the same only better.

Upvote 0
too much information...
Spoiler!

Fixed
faceg.gif

Reactions: EvilAmericanMan
Upvote 0
Just got through the demo with a Warrior. I definetly like the ME style radial menu. I thought that was one of the biggest flaws of DAO, no voice acting for your character, especially given how well done it was for everyone else. The first thing that struck out at me was the speed. Its a bit of a different combat style than Origins. Your warrior can do a Michael Jordan jump and slash an enemy...I knew going in that the combat was designed for big waves of enemies but didn't expect this. I first thought Origins would have benefited from complete combat control but got used to it. Not sure I like pressing A over and over, especially with how little damage default attacks do, but they made the moves recharge faster to compensate. They've done like they did with ME and made combat different in the sequel, but Origins wasn't in as much a need of a change as ME was. I see they've not only changed the Darkspawn art style but also dwarves. Part of it is how improved the graphics are. I was pretty blown away by how good the X360 version looked. Certainly better than my PC could manage, but I would love to have a powerful PC to see this game in all its glory. I hate using the term 'dumbed down', because its completely over used and pretty annoying (and in use way too much on these forums) but the gameplay seems to be changed to appeal to a demographic that likes epic moves and superhuman warriors. Perhaps its just the shock of the difference from Origins to this?

Overall I think I may still buy it like I planned. What I played was certainly not worth the profanity laced freak-out Dcode typed up IMO.

Upvote 0
Tried the demo.

Combat: I don't see what the big fuss is all about, to me it feels the same as in DA:O. Probably a bit faster but I still always pause the game and issue orders to my teammates. The gore is awesome and like it's supposed to be, I can't stand sword attacks not doing any scratches like in other games.

Graphics: Pretty much on the same level as DA:O, which was pretty disappointing at first because I didn't like the art design of the first level(it's basically just an ugly wasteland) but the 2nd (small) part of the demo showed that it's still awesome. Performance was kinda disappointing though. I ran it maxed out and on 1680x1024 and it only ran "good" meaning ~30fps but ~30fps that you could feel to be nothing more. In relation to the graphical quality that's not enough and even Mass Effect which looks 3x better runs completely smooth with no slowdowns at all. Also there's some weird short loading pauses, especcially prior to when dialogue starts, hope they sorted that out in the full version.

Atmosphere: First I was kinda disappointed because you basically have no connection to your family members plus the mediocre art design in the first part so it clearly didn't feel anywhere close to as epic as DA:O, but with 1) the ending scene of the first part 2) Isabela(although her tits are ridiculously big) I saw hints of that awesomeness.

Will definitely keep the pre-order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried the demo.

Combat: I don't see what the big fuss is all about, to me it feels the same as in DA:O. Probably a bit faster but I still always pause the game and issue orders to my teammates. The gore is awesome and like it's supposed to be, I can't stand sword attacks not doing any scratches like in other games.

Maybe they made the demo an easy challenge but the ogre was no challenge whatsoever compared to the Ogres in DA:O. It didn't even hit me once in the demo as the power recharges were too quick making the whole thing a hack 'n slash experience rather than a tactical battle.

However like I said I think they've dumbed down the demo and hopefully the full game is more of a challenge like DA:O.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how the gameplay is 'dumbed down'. In Origins, mages were the best class overall. Crowd control was easy, and in major fights all that was required was to switch to your mage in your party, and spam heal over and over. That's not complex, at all. I didn't see many people say that DA:O was a challenge at all. I thought it was at first...until I learned mages were OP. And lets not forget the lulzy final battle, with the stupid dragon hitting you as you move with his stupid attacks that knock you down or stun you or whatever...until you use a ballista and spam THAT over and over until the dragon dies because it stuns it on hit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't play the first Dragon Age, but after hearing people talk about its similarities to Mass Effect, and whether it's better than Obliivon, I gave the demo a shot. My judgement? It's Not Scottish!

"There's another wave coming!"

Upvote 0