• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone here NOT have Steam?

That isn't funny miccy, you know how old alan is.

@Helmut Of course he isn't an admin, of course you don't have to listen to him. Lets not flaming each other here. Some of you have concerns about Steam and what not, you are entitles to your opinion, we have heard them, and there will still be a Steam release.

As far as community members that say quit whiing, I am sure they are just tired of seeing people type the same things over and over, and starting multiple threads about the exact same thing.

I seen you type that is RO:Ostfront wasn't 100% better you wouldn't be buying it. I don't blame you one bit, but remember who you are talking to and think about this. If it wasn't 100% better, Ramm wouldn't be coding, I wouldn't be testing, the mappers wouldn't be mapping and so on.

Now that it is settled, I will see you in Ostfront, and we will be able to look back and laugh at everyone together that didn't get it for silly reasons.

Quit talking crap miccy before I tell everyone your secret.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Originally with RO:OST, I bought into the argument that Steam was the cheapest and easiest way to reach a larger audience for a small development team. But since they now have a Box deal, that argument doesn't any longer hold true and the sticking with the steam requirement doesn't make any sense.

Not necessarily true. Since Tripwire already has a distribution deal through Steam, the publisher for the retail box doesn't nearly have the leverage they would have if they had a "monopoly" on distribution.

So the publisher (which we know isn't a "powerhouse" like EA), can't really force their views or content onto Tripwire.

This is a good deal for Bold, as they have content they didn't need to provide seed money for development (a big deal), they just need to pay for the boxes and CD pressing, and they get to reap the rewards of the Tripwire's hard work.

This is good for the community, because we'll get a much larger player base. We'll be getting people who have never heard of RO before seeing in the shelves, including people who don't keep up with FPS's, and have never heard or UnReal or would ever have bought it. Especially for $30.

And it's good for Tripwire because they'll get paid more.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I agree that datamining is bad, but concerning Steam, it is quite easily to avoid. YOu can get all the software "boxed", so you really just need to have an anonymous e-mail account.
Thanks for that info. I'll get the boxed version of RO then as I really really don't like having my info out there unless absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
I see mention that the game will require Steam, but what about the boxed version (for online MP of course)?

If yes, then will Steam be bundled with the box version?

[and if Steam is required...]
I guess I'll get it when it's released via Steam, rather than waiting for a boxed version, unless there are advantages to having the box version. And don't say having a pretty box or a spiffy manual that we all know doesn't get read! :p

Upvote 0
At the moment, I don't have Steam. I don't have any games that require Steam installed. I personally am not fond of Steam, but I was going to get it for RO. But with the boxed version coming out, (which no doubt will have Steam bundled with it, seeing as it's required for Authentication and Online play), I'll wait. I actaully have a Steam account, from way back when I installled HL2. But I haven't used it in months, and I don't think I know the password anymore......

Here's a question. I know that for offline play Steam is not required, but what about LAN? Does that fall under offline or online play?

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
It's part of my daily readings, but I think the same sentiments can also be found at heise online, Ct magazine etc. You don't have to be paranoid to see that if the big companys (Music, Movies, Games etc.) had their way, you'd soon have to pay for every time you load some of their content into your RAM.

I bet you woulg go along very well, as I had the chance to get to know him in person. And datamining is one of his favourie topics, and, if you wan't to provoke an endless speach of him, just ask him how he datamined the NSA ;)

but now BTT: Well, all is said, there are those who think steam is good, those who think it's bad, and those who don't care at all, like myself :D

Upvote 0
daschewy said:
im starting to get this message again, does anyone know what it means? Steam was working fine but no longer is.

do you have a local firewall? try to find if it is not blocking the steam.exe process to access the network.

Tech stuff :D

A connection abort was caused internal to your host machine. The software caused a connection abort because there is no space on the socket's queue and the socket cannot receive further connections.

WinSock description: The error can occur when the local network system aborts a connection. This would occur if WinSock aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket).

TCP/IP scenario: A connection will timeout if the local system doesn't receive an (ACK)nowledgement for data sent. It would also timeout if a (FIN)ish TCP packet is not ACK'd (and even if the FIN is ACK'd, it will eventually timeout if a FIN is not returned)

Upvote 0