• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone here NOT have Steam?

I wanted to ask, after the "verification" w/Steam, do you need to have it running every time you wamt to play? Does it require you to have it running so the server can see if its a legit copy whenever you go to play a game, or is the initial verification stored server-side? And as I was typing, it occurs to me that it probably would do something like a "CD-key" check, to see if it was in use(the "CD key already in use error).

Upvote 0
Donut said:
I wanted to ask, after the "verification" w/Steam, do you need to have it running every time you wamt to play? Does it require you to have it running so the server can see if its a legit copy whenever you go to play a game, or is the initial verification stored server-side? And as I was typing, it occurs to me that it probably would do something like a "CD-key" check, to see if it was in use(the "CD key already in use error).

The Steam is constantly on when you want to play Steam-games, it works as Server-browser, authentication by your Steam-account and as an connector to multiplayer games.

Steam account works like an CD-key, If you get banned from a server, it bans your steam-account from that server. There is also an possibility that if the Valve Anti-Cheat finds you cheating, you cant play that game on any multiplayer-server which has VAC on, Im not sure whether its permament or temporary, I have never cheated in any multiplayer-game.

I hope that clears up some of your concerns.

Upvote 0
Actually, it creates some... Thought Id just use Steam to verify, then re-block it with firewall, and if not needed every time I go to play(as Ithought it might(never used it before, so IDK), uninstall it. Now it appears Ill be stuck with this on my system if I want to play RO. I DO, but not so bad that Im going to use a program I dont need, except to play a game. Steam would have no other function for me, other than allowing me to play RO. Now looks like Ill have to wait till next version... Oh well, I got time.
Edit: Forgot to mention I DO have Steam, just blocked in firewall untill I got Ro, but think Ill just uninstall, since its not gonna work the way I thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Steam is a good program, its not something that you should try to avoid. I really dont understand where all this prejudice came from. Steam connects you to the community and to other gamers. It's not something that should be treated like a retarded child. It should be treated as a highly intellegent and social child.

Steam is better for everyone, devs and gamers alike.

Upvote 0
People base their opinions off of earlier releases, or off of someone who is basing their opinion on earlier releases.

I think anyone that really don't have the faqs on Steam, or its latest versions should DL it, get a game demo and run it. You will see it isnt a evil monster like you think it is.

Upvote 0
Steam has come a LONG way and is now a pretty good system as I use often and have little trouble at all.....the extreme early days had some hiccups but as of the last 18 months or so it has been good to go...other then the broken friends list feature....but there is better programs for that anyhow....so have no fear, go get it and get up to speed....

-totenkopf44

Upvote 0
Its NOT a space/resource issue, its a matter of I can do a bunch of stuff witout it, like finding servers(in-game, or something like ASE), installing/uninstalling is already in my O/S, and since I already have the disk, no need to verify ownership online. Just see no real reason for it.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Its NOT a space/resource issue, its a matter of I can do a bunch of stuff witout it, like finding servers(in-game, or something like ASE), installing/uninstalling is already in my O/S, and since I already have the disk, no need to verify ownership online. Just see no real reason for it.

new game releases, game updates, engine updates, news releases, etc....

ya no reason I can see.....lol

Upvote 0