• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone here NOT have Steam?

Hope you dont think Im hassling anyone, NOT my intent at all, but if somethings not what I want and/or need, its kinda like giving a fish a bicycle...
So, Ill just play mod till it finally dies. Sorry guys, but no ROO for me. :( As you can see, I dont use it much anyway.
steam1sq.jpg

Upvote 0
I just wrote this in another thread: My dislike of Steam is not for performance or playability reasons.

Steam is a GIANT step towards giving publishers more control over every single customer. The dream of every digital content creator, total digital rights management.

Basically they can do the following with it, which they always wanted but never managed in other ways:

1) Publisher can at any time disable your game and deny you the right to play what you already paid good money for. If the publisher has technical problems or gets bought out, your game may be disabled as well. You never really have the right to play the game - you always need to ask Steam first if you may.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Steam wants a lot more personal details for an account than any standard WindowsXP activation? The game publishers never managed to enforce mandatory registration of software (things like "tech support only for registered users" could be considered illegal) but with Steam, they can now do that.

So that gives them a completely legal way to create a large data mining opportunity for their own marketing and other purposes. Who says they aren't going to sell this data or use it for their own unsolcited advertising etc.?

3) As far as I'm aware, Steam forces you to download every patch if you want to play online, at least. Fans of SWAT4 weren't too happy about the 1.1 patch introducing product placement ads into the game, but at least they could chose to not apply the patch. Fans of the old DoD 1.3 back in the days didn't like the direction DoD 2.0 took, so they just kept playing version 1.3. For IL-2:Forgotten Battles a few patches were released that, to some people made things worser - so some people simple didn't download them and kept the previous version.

With Steam, you don't have that choice. You'll be forced to add every patch/feature etc. to your game. So in theory, if in half a year the publisher wants the devs to reduce game realism to make it "more accessible to newcomers" - you'll be forced to download these "updates" trough Steam.

4) Game Publishers are starting to hate the second-hand game market. They are releasing more and more crappy games with ever shortening play-times (below 10 hours for some titles) and then they hate it when customers re-sell their used games.

With Steam, they found a way to fix that - last I heard it costs you 10 bucks to sell a Steam-authenticated game, otherwise they won't transfter the account for you. Great, now they can force their way into the Second Hand games market too.

In summary: Digital Rights Management is the dream of every big greedy company these days. Step by step, things like Steam prepare the way for total control of users and their computers.

Now Sony is already contemplating a system that will tie every sold Playstation3 game to the hardware it is first played on, making it impossible to swap, trade or play games at your friend's place.

The more we accept this stuff, the cockier the companys get. Every game sold over Steam is another sign that says "yes, please screw with our customer rights because we are willing to give you control over our paid-for content".

If the release isn't 100% better than the mod, I'll stick with Ro 3.3

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
1) Publisher can at any time disable your game and deny you the right to play what you already paid good money for. If the publisher has technical problems or gets bought out, your game may be disabled as well. You never really have the right to play the game - you always need to ask Steam first if you may.

If you want, there are hacks around that work around this, but i dunno where to find them and else. And Ro-Ostfront works offline without Steam Permission.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Steam wants a lot more personal details for an account than any standard WindowsXP activation? The game publishers never managed to enforce mandatory registration of software (things like "tech support only for registered users" could be considered illegal) but with Steam, they can now do that.

You're wrong, you only need your Email, and you got a Steam Account. You do need more information if you want to buy Games over Steam (but you do need that for Ebay Transcations too).

So that gives them a completely legal way to create a large data mining opportunity for their own marketing and other purposes. Who says they aren't going to sell this data or use it for their own unsolcited advertising etc.?

Well since they don't have your Name, its just a way to say People wo play Game X like Game Y. And i don't know if you use Amazon, but they do really use those informations to show you products you might buy... Which for me usually comes in handy...

3) As far as I'm aware, Steam forces you to download every patch if you want to play online, at least. Fans of SWAT4 weren't too happy about the 1.1 patch introducing product placement ads into the game, but at least they could chose to not apply the patch. Fans of the old DoD 1.3 back in the days didn't like the direction DoD 2.0 took, so they just kept playing version 1.3. For IL-2:Forgotten Battles a few patches were released that, to some people made things worser - so some people simple didn't download them and kept the previous version.

Do you now that for sure ? Or is that just paranoid Fear ?
4) Game Publishers are starting to hate the second-hand game market. They are releasing more and more crappy games with ever shortening play-times (below 10 hours for some titles) and then they hate it when customers re-sell their used games.

No one forces you to buy Games which are so crappy :)...

With Steam, they found a way to fix that - last I heard it costs you 10 bucks to sell a Steam-authenticated game, otherwise they won't transfter the account for you. Great, now they can force their way into the Second Hand games market too.

You know that you can give the Acess details of a Steam account to someone else... So if you create a Steam Account for every Game you own, it can be easily transfered...

If the release isn't 100% better than the mod, I'll stick with Ro 3.3

I hold you up to that promise :)

P.S.
Thanks for an amusing read :)

Upvote 0
First of all Steam is how "DRM" (which it really isnt) should be. You can play your games on any computer, you can let your friends use your account, sure you have to give more personal info, and you DO give as much out for WindowsXP becuse you had to used your credit card or something to pay for it.

Valve has clearly stated that in the event that Steam will no longer exist they will release a patch so that Steam no longer requries authentication.

It makes absolutely ZERO business sense for valve to go around disabling user accoutns.

ONCE AGAIN: STEAM ISNT DRM, IT DOESNT NEED DRM, BECAUSE IT HAS BETTER WAYS TO CONTROL CONTENT THAT ASS RAPING THE CUSTOMER!

Upvote 0
OMG Steam is the Matrix!!11!! Call Neo NOW!!!

Even some points are valid and I am not a big Steam fan, I don't find the whole things so tragically.

What I find nice on steam is that the games are cheaper than the retail version, the user community is pretty big, it is a step forward in stoping game piracy.

@pct. 2) when I created my steam account i just give an email adress (my spam hotmail adress) and username and password.

I would not compare Valve's Steam with Sony's anti piracy programm wich sux.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
LONG POST

You don't know the chief editor of futurezone.orf.at, do you?

I agree that datamining is bad, but concerning Steam, it is quite easily to avoid. YOu can get all the software "boxed", so you really just need to have an anonymous e-mail account. ANd by creating one account for each game (allthough quite inconvenient) you can sell it as you please...

I am much more concerned by the new EU passport and all the biometric data wich is going to be collected...

Upvote 0
The biggest problem I have with Helmut's post is that he continually uses "customer" to describe the folks giving money to companies while the companies refer to those same folks as "consumers." That may seem like splitting hairs or semantics but it is very representative of the way companies view their audience. By labeling the buying public "consumers" the implication is that you pay money to get something, "use it up/consume it" and then pay again to get more.

The phrase that used to govern business was "the customer is always right." Is that phrase still true? I have my doubts when it comes to the large media companies. Do the media companies have the right to profit from and control the original distribution of the content they produce? By all means, yes. Should a media company have the right to keep third parties from profitting from their content without the original producers receiving compensation? Certainly. Should media companies be able to control when/how/where you can access content once you've paid for it? Not in my mind.

While we may have issues pro/con with Valve and their Steam product, Tripwire made the decision that they felt best served their needs. By acquiring a retail store distribution deal they've shown the willingness to take their customers' concerns to heart and find a non-online means for folks to purchase their product. The further willingness of TWI to engage their customers openly in these forums signals their respect of us. Just head on over to any other company's website or forums and look at the shear volume of "does anyone from this company even read these forums" posts that are cluttering the boards and I think you'll see that you should feel fortunate to have such a nice one-on-one channel of communication with TWI.

We should take the opportunity to use these forums to voice our concerns about Steam in a manner that TWI can then use to advocate our concerns to Valve. While TWI has a business relationship with Valve they also have an obligation to their customers. After all no one has to ever purchase Ostfront. Let's all work to make sure that we have a healthy customer relationship with TWI so that they never come to view us as consumers.

</jack mode>

Upvote 0
Okay, some stuff can obviously be solved (even though I'm sure it's made illegal in some EULA to give away account details for any steam game). Requiring an email adress - is already too much IMHO, but oh well, that's what keeps Yahoo in business.

Lemme just finish with this:

It's funny - when Microsoft, Intel and AMD came out with the "Trusted Computing Initiative" aka "Paladium" which pretty much was all about software "dialing home" before it would run on our maschine, the whole "consumer/customer" world (interesting enough I hadn't even thought about these implications Case highlighted) was in arms. Paladium was eventually hacked into tiny bits which are never going to be as bad as they were planned to be.

But still, companys like Valve, Sony, Starforce...to name the first few that come to mind...continue taking away rights from their legal "consumers". And we can't be jumping on their bandwagon fast enough.

While Steam is the least annoying of those three, it is still a step towards the world that Microsoft once envisioned, where every document, every application, is monitored on a central server and needs to be autorized before you can use it.

Originally with RO:OST, I bought into the argument that Steam was the cheapest and easiest way to reach a larger audience for a small development team. But since they now have a Box deal, that argument doesn't any longer hold true and the sticking with the steam requirement doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
You don't know the chief editor of futurezone.orf.at, do you?

It's part of my daily readings, but I think the same sentiments can also be found at heise online, Ct magazine etc. You don't have to be paranoid to see that if the big companys (Music, Movies, Games etc.) had their way, you'd soon have to pay for every time you load some of their content into your RAM.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
It's part of my daily readings, but I think the same sentiments can also be found at heise online, Ct magazine etc. You don't have to be paranoid to see that if the big companys (Music, Movies, Games etc.) had their way, you'd soon have to pay for every time you load some of their content into your RAM.
Then vote with your feet (or wallet in this case) and stop whinging.

Upvote 0