• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

What the hell are DICE thinking? :rolleyes:

They aren't thinking, but neither are some people at the BF3 forums who are defending this feature. But then again there was a big crying out threads when Dice removed the bunny hopping in BF2, so maybe they learn slowly.

I just thought what was wrong with the games and that video just pisses me off. These games have turned into nothing else than bright spot hunting, graphics are just in your way to spot these marks. It's totally tiresome that before you start shooting you start spotting so you know where the enemy is.

Commander and squad orders are being questioned should they even be in the game, those things that worked really well in BF2. Without some general direction in the game there will be no teamwork at all and squads becomes nothing else than spawn points.

So I don't think people at Dice think that much, some of the stuff that are wrong with the game and really hinders it from becoming much better can be seen right away when you start playing the game, but why can't Dice?

Upvote 0
One of my best friends in the world is convinced that BF3 is amazing. He has a gaming background that's just as diverse as any of the people here, including years playing RO, but he still thinks BF3 is going to be one of the best games this year.

He's seen videos and played the "Alpha" and tells me it plays just like BF2. When I tell him it's going to be BC2 with some extra vehicles he won't hear it lol. **** confuses the hell out of me.

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
I've been watching a bunch of Alpha vids and aside from the great graphics, it's hardly awesome to me. I know it's an alpha and it's a small map, but it the gameplay is no different than any other BC/COD shooter. Rush in and out twitch the other guy until you die. Respawn, rinse repeat. I'm surprised the don't have AutoTeabagging, it would certainly help sell to their intended market.

If they added back some features to force more cooperative gameplay and of course mod tools, it would rock. But without......

Upvote 0
I beg to differ. I have tried the alpha for about 3 hours by logging in to my friend's account, and the gameplay is considerably hardcore compared to BC2 and even BF2. I might even say it's on RO level aside from lack of leaning, gamemode and HUD clutter. Reasons?

• Prone destroyed the "BC2" style fast paced gameplay completely. At the moment, everybody is in cover somewhere either proning or crouched and waiting for you. It's impossible to "rush" the opponents anymore as anybody in the open is basically a dead meat.
  • Bullets do more damage and the net code is less laggy. Combine these two and you're basically dead if someone has the crosshairs on you. In BC2 the net code and hit registration is usually laggy(hitboxes usually lag behind player) and this makes running around and being reckless much more possible. Not anymore.
  • Movements have inertia. Just like RO, it takes time to go sprinting and stopping. It's not easy to do the "WASD dance", if you make a bad sprint and want to go back, well good luck for you. In comparison, BC2 has almost no inertia at all, everything is instant. Making the gameplay faster paced. The inertia in BF3 right now is comparable to Killzone 2 levels.
  • Graphics at the moment makes spotting enemies really hard. The lightning levels of environment and players match, so no longer you can spot a static enemy far away. You can really blend in with the environment and nobody will notice you save for muzzle flash and 3D spotting.
To be honest I'm not really liking how it plays at the moment. It's a bit too hardcore for what I liked in the Battlefield formula. Rush gameplay is obviously broken as everyone is not rushing, but sitting in their cover exchanging bullets comfortably. It's gameplay core is much more hardcore now, but the gameplay modes are not suitable for them. DICE should really think about what they want to do in this Alpha/Beta period.

Other than that, the graphics and attention to details are awesome. Laser sights and flashlight really work. It's awesome to turn the corner with your flashlight and blind everyone in the darkness of metro. Laser pointers can also blind others if you can manage to point it their eyes. Lightning is superb, dark Metro part almost feels like CGI. Weapon fire modes are back and lots of customization options(3 slots for each weapon). My only gripe with the graphics is the super-high contrast and there's no graphics options so you can't do anything about it.

2142 style classes feels better, assault now can either be the

Upvote 0
I have to say, as someone who has played every game in the Battlefield series except Vietnam, I'm a little disappointed with BF3 so far. I always expected it to be a sequel to BF2, one of my favorite games of all time, but it seems to be a lot more like Medal of Honor 2010 to me, and I couldn't stand that game.

If anything, RO2 is similar to the kind of team-play oriented game where I would have expected the BF series to have progressed to by now. I'll still be buying it just to try out the 64 player maps etc, but if the Alpha is anything to go by, I won't find it as enjoyable as I'd hoped.

Teamplay in battlefield = 32 medics on your team

Yeah, if they actually knew how to use the defibrillators :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I was on the battlefield 3 website the other day looking on the beta (I got the MoH limited edition). I couldn't but help look around and stumbled upon arguments over MW3 vs. BF3. I was like where's the RO2?

Then I also found that people were saying somewhere on youtube "CoD is the movie themed war game. Battlefield 3 is the realistic type instead of a hollywood game" I just want to post a comment saying something like "you haven't played Red Orchestra". I didn't because I hate it when you post a comment on youtube you get spamed like crazy by people seeking internet fame....

Battlefield just doesn't look like its trying to make a better FPS, it looks like they are just trying to add things that don't matter and people believe its innovation... just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0