• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

It seems to be the norm these days. BC2 has it, so why not for BF3?

Well for one, they've said BC2 and BF3 have different design rules and goals.

Plus, modern shooters don't really do player health bars anymore (although BC2 shows you everyone else's IIRC, I don't play a lot of medic.)

So it's still a possibility. What else could "being able to drag opponents and team mates around" mean? I predict bleed outs and bandaging that takes time.

Also I predict "Capture HVT" or "get wounded teammates to safety" scenarios. Could be wrong. But the absence of a health bar isn't really conclusive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You really expect such features when they already cut the commander because they had to "lower the threshold"?

Sure. I may not agree with their decision, but I don't fault their logic. People didn't play commander that often, and those that did never usually managed to support their team effectively. It was a good feature, when people actually bothered to use it. Very few people played and commanded at the same time, and sitting around watching a radar all game was not some people's idea of fun.

So I can understand why they nixed it. I can only hope they replace it something worthy.

Either way the dragging feature is announced, what exactly do you imagine it's good for?

Upvote 0
Sure. I may not agree with their decision, but I don't fault their logic. People didn't play commander that often, and those that did never usually managed to support their team effectively. It was a good feature, when people actually bothered to use it. Very few people played and commanded at the same time, and sitting around watching a radar all game was not some people's idea of fun.

So I can understand why they nixed it. I can only hope they replace it something worthy.

Either way the dragging feature is announced, what exactly do you imagine it's good for?

I agree. It shows that they paid attention to their own game and used information they gathered to make a better experience for the next. If anything I'd say it deserves a round of applause, not criticism. The mod tools are a different story, though.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
People loved commander mode. The Poll in the EAUK forums clearly shows that(like 90% vs 10%) and in my own experience, while I hardly ever played as commander, it always felt nice and added a bigger frame somehow when your squad got orders from an intelligent commander.

I completely agree. It was sweet to have a total stranger get on the horn, identify our squad as the only one capable of getting anything done, and going "Alright gents, let's do this, just you and me!"

But that's what everyone said. Everyone liked having a good commander. Very few people stepped up to the role. (Me included.) You can lead horses to water, but you can't make them drink.

Putting that power into the hands of every player was a smart move. I don't know if how it played out in BC2 really delivered though...I was more happy to get free points for pointing at stuff and spotting, I wasn't necessarily getting that tactical vibe.

So I hope it evolves over BC2.

Upvote 0
Commander mode was beast. I loved being Commander, but I also loved leading a squad of badasses and following the Commander's orders. So you want us to take out their artillery sir? We'll destroy it or die trying! It was nice having vehicles dropped in or artillery strikes dropped on targets as he was overwatching us.

I'm disappointed they cut it from the game.

Upvote 0
What are those balloons in the screenshot?? and what its that comparison with the pic with no balloons? :confused:

According to the magazine, they are light probes that control how light affects a dynamic object such as a player or vehicle that moves through the alley. The right picture is essentially the "finished" version, the same image but without the light probes visible.

Upvote 0
According to the magazine, they are light probes that control how light affects a dynamic object such as a player or vehicle that moves through the alley. The right picture is essentially the "finished" version, the same image but without the light probes visible.

More specifically, the "probes" act like indirect lighting sources, ie bounced lighting from surfaces.

Upvote 0