• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

I was looking forward to the next installment of Project Reality over Battlefield 3, but considering that the Project Reality team is looking to make a standalone game, I suppose it isn't that bad. Still, I think it's a bad decision by the developers and I hope it won't be used as an excuse to force-feed DLC and maps. Anyways, I have the magazine and I must admit that it looks pretty good. Even though I think the Middle Eastern setting is over-used, I don't mind if it's done right.

That would be awesome.

Upvote 0
on the unity engine. that's pretty bad, actually.

On the C4 engine actually - atleast thats what they state on the website.

"(3) What engine is the team using? - The C4 engine.

(4) Is this the engine that the team won with Mod of the Year 2008? - No. We evaluated the Torque engine(s) and found that the C4 engine would be a better fit for our long term goals."

Upvote 0
Those are the shots I saw.

Not exactly cutting edge but it looks crisp, clean and functional.

You have to see "past the visuals" in those screenshots. They are definately not the maximum that the engine offers. Actually, once you have access to every aspect of an software engine it probably means that you can upgrade it and enhace the visuals. But most importantly, you have no obstacles that are hardcoded in the BF2 engine (no lean, no deploying weapons on objects, no bullet penetration...).

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong here I was not putting the engine down.

What I am trying to say is I think it looks great for a tactical shooter. Games like Raven Shield and RO have crisp graphics and you can tell what is what. I think over use of fancy effects does not work well with simulators.

I'd sooner have the graphics crisp and sharp rather than blurry which seems to be the trend on most games these days.

Upvote 0
As in completly outdated and ****ty? They aren't gonna sell many units / to barely anyone outside of their hardcore audience if their graphics are even more outdated than BF2s.

If they keep the hardcore game play, casual gamers will not stick with the game anyway.

They might attract more sales by making the game look beautiful and touting it as a rival to CoD, but is the extra cost to develop amazing visuals worth it to try and seal a few extra sales compared to putting more development time into game play and keeping with their original target audience?

That is of course if the budget is even there for such features.

I am not one for Project Reality - I don't have the patience for it, however if they release a stand alone game catered for their original audience with no dumbing down of features; i'd buy the game and support them.

I understand I belong to a minority.

:rolleyes: what a moron

That is unnecessary.

Upvote 0