• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

I like the DLC, though it was over priced. I paid $11.96 for it, bringing my total to $41.95. It is a nice game, but $42 is pretty steep IMO. The worst part is that there are only 14 maps total now, which should be the minimum number for any online FPS game. I bet they are going to release more map packs at similar prices breaking up the community even further.

I would hope they at least release some new maps (for free) for those of us who bought B2K.

Upvote 0
I play mixed with friends, however first we played basic maps only, when I didn't have DLC. Pure fun to play as infantry, armored division or flywing and cooperate together. I regret that I bought RO2 DDE instead of BF3 LE + normal RO2.

Generally all maps are fine, some are better some less fun, but I need to admit that variety is great: from crowded mostly CQB maps to huge, open and epic struggles. Only metro feels like level whoring map :p.

ps. there is no problem to find populated servers, any kind, any time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who finds it easier to kill people in hardcore mode? I die far less frequently in hardcore than I do in regular mode.

That's an easy one. Hardcore mode makes people take less shots to die, and it deactivates the "spot" markers. Thus, playing like RO as in remaining in cover and being less mobile actually makes you more effective, as you are harder to spot but have an easier time spotting running enemies.

On normal mode though, with the markers above you and on the map and the killcam, playing slowly and carefully actually paints a literal huge target on you.

Upvote 0
Any1 else getting stuck on the loading screen when changing maps?

Yes and I'm starting to think it has something to do with RAM or lack of it. Have nothing to prove it or don't really understand, but makes sense to me. Map changes and it peaks the RAM usage when it splashes back to windows and starts to load.

I do have 4gb, but when I monitor just by playing in windowed mode it's really close to the max usage, maybe time to buy another 2gb stick?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i got 6gb. the dudes at ea forums thinks it might be just origin bug. The game runs great btw with my middle class pc 6850 cpu abd gtx 260. what really blew me away (sometimes literally) is the destruction, really awesome and frighting the same time being stuck in a building wich is crumbling to pieces :p

Upvote 0
Known "bug".

Alt/tabbing out while the battle log is running after the match ends and then alt/tabbing back in when the next map starts loading(look HD activity) is a work around.

Doing this I do not loose contact when the map changes.

Another way of fixing the problem is to edit the BF3 launch option...
Turn off Theme Visuals & Desk Top Composition in the Compatibility box.
It works as well but I do not like it or recommend.

Upvote 0
That's an easy one. Hardcore mode makes people take less shots to die, and it deactivates the "spot" markers. Thus, playing like RO as in remaining in cover and being less mobile actually makes you more effective, as you are harder to spot but have an easier time spotting running enemies.

On normal mode though, with the markers above you and on the map and the killcam, playing slowly and carefully actually paints a literal huge target on you.

I realize all of this, but I am just saying that the "hardcore" mode is easier, or less "hardcore" than the normal mode. :p At least in terms of the infantry. For vehicle combat I prefer normal mode.

And does anyone know when they will fix the joystick bug? Where if you have a joystick plugged in your vehicles constantly drive forward (or turn)... very annoying.

I had that problem before RAM upgrade. Now I have 8 GB and problem has gone (at least temporarily), however friend of mine who also upgraded his PC (4GB -> 8GB) still has that issue.

I know a friend who has this issue with 8GB of RAM. He has AMD cards (4870 1GB and now HD6950 2GB). I do not get this issue and I use Nvidia. I am not sure if it is an issue with AMD cards/drivers or something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Folks, I have two questions from a new BF3 player:
1. Do you know about any BF3 servers frequented by players who actually try to use some squad teamwork? On most servers I've played everybody thinks only about himself and people doesn't even wait for squadmates with transport vehicles! The only time I experienced some basic teamplay is with a guy called DrFna (from Piggt-Pfafded-Pfengnis clan), who as a squad leader gave out orders and managed to keep the squad together somehow. Sadly, that was the only teamplay I experienced after 22hrs spent in the game.
2. Are there any servers that enforce limited slots for each of the classes, like it's in RO2? It's awful to see recon troops everywhere taking people down from hidden positions (once I counted 12 recon soldiers in my team in a 64 people server - that's 1/3rd of the team). Most noticeable on Tehran Highway.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Best FPS in years, last time I was this excited to play even after 100+ gameplay hours, was probably COD 4 in 2007.

Folks, I have two questions from a new BF3 player:
1. Do you know about any BF3 servers frequented by players who actually try to use some squad teamwork? On most servers I've played everybody thinks only about himself and people doesn't even wait for squadmates with transport vehicles! The only time I experienced some basic teamplay is with a guy called DrFna (from Piggt-Pfafded-Pfengnis clan), who as a squad leader gave out orders and managed to keep the squad together somehow. Sadly, that was the only teamplay I experienced after 22hrs spent in the game.
2. Are there any servers that enforce limited slots for each of the classes, like it's in RO2? It's awful to see recon troops everywhere taking people down from hidden positions (once I counted 12 recon soldiers in my team in a 64 people server - that's 1/3rd of the team). Most noticeable on Tehran Highway.
Thanks.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...0b/AGGRESSIVE-Gameplay-PTFO-or-GTFO-48-slots/

That's the best I've managed to find, there's active admins who enforce the server rules. It seems to be running some weird 16 player infantry only setting atm, but i'm sure it will resume back to normal cycle. Team work wise that server aint that different from the others, but atleast people are playing the objective, instead of camping in the farthest corner of the map with a sniper.

Upvote 0
Best FPS in years, last time I was this excited to play even after 100+ gameplay hours, was probably COD 4 in 2007.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...0b/AGGRESSIVE-Gameplay-PTFO-or-GTFO-48-slots/
That's the best I've managed to find, there's active admins who enforce the server rules. It seems to be running some weird 16 player infantry only setting atm, but i'm sure it will resume back to normal cycle. Team work wise that server aint that different from the others, but atleast people are playing the objective, instead of camping in the farthest corner of the map with a sniper.
Thanks Pectus. I'd try the server, but unfortunately it's completely empty.

Upvote 0
I read that almost noone of the BF2 dev team worked on BF3 but the BC/BC2 team, it makes sense since you see all the early-stage BF2 balance errors back in BF3.

For example the M320 dmg versus inf got a major nerf in one of the BF2 patches, the same will happen in the next patch for BF3.
I'm sure the same will happen with the air-unbalance in future patches (stingers/IGLA were useless in BF2, they are useful now in BF2 1.5, but still useless in BF3).

BF3 is one big deja-vu of the errors of BF2 that all got patched out eventually over the years.

Conclusion:
DICE/EA do not learn from mistakes.

Nevertheless, BF3 is still quite a reasonable good game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read that almost noone of the BF2 dev team worked on BF3 but the BC/BC2 team, it makes sense since you see all the early-stage BF2 balance errors back in BF3.

For example the M320 dmg versus inf got a major nerf in one of the BF2 patches, the same will happen in the next patch for BF3.
I'm sure the same will happen with the air-unbalance in future patches (stingers/IGLA were useless in BF2, they are useful now in BF2 1.5, but still useless in BF3).

BF3 is one big deja-vu of the errors of BF2 that all got patched out eventually over the years.

Conclusion:
DICE/EA do not learn from mistakes.

You got a source for the M320 nerf ? I've read a few different patchnote list's in various places regarding the next update, but i cant remember anything about the M320. Besides, it isn't even OP at all, it's just the people who play 64p metro conquest who are complaining, in every other map the M320 is far from OP, I'd say even useless in some maps.

They got the stinger/igla right on release, but for some weird reason they nerfed them into oblivion in the first patch. Nobody wasn't even complaining about them. :confused::confused:

Upvote 0
I got loading map bug yesterday so that is not a RAM. Friend said that is a issue with client - server communication.

Igla/stinger feels very underpowered indeed.

Yep, I still think that BF2 was better, however BF3 brings you ton of fun times with friends, great graphic and a lot of weapons, vehicles, big maps and so on.
Yesterday I killed a guy at 500+ meters, making a hole in his head from Bolt action sniper rifle. Great feeling, I missed it since last time when I played ArmA 2 and Ostfront/Darkest Hour :).

Upvote 0
You got a source for the M320 nerf ? I've read a few different patchnote list's in various places regarding the next update, but i cant remember anything about the M320. Besides, it isn't even OP at all, it's just the people who play 64p metro conquest who are complaining, in every other map the M320 is far from OP, I'd say even useless in some maps.

They got the stinger/igla right on release, but for some weird reason they nerfed them into oblivion in the first patch. Nobody wasn't even complaining about them. :confused::confused:
http://bf3blog.com/page/3/

Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG, SMAW, and 40mm grenade projectiles against infantry. Reduced the total number of RPG and SMAW missiles carried from 5 to 4.

Also some devs twittered recently about the explosive dmg nerf, I think it's going to make it into the next patch.
The suggested patchchanges also further nerfs the stingers. It is disastrous.

On a further note, noone really complained about the stinger/igla's but the air-abusers did in a large frequency.
Kindof odd that DICE is basing it's balance arguments on how much a small part of the community produces complaints instead of knowing it better themselves. They (DICE) even admits it, if I remember correctly, one of the devs said (about some scheduled change): ''noone complaining about it, so it's on hold''

Last edited:
Upvote 0