• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug tier 2 weapon suggestion: Thermal Lance

Temstar

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2009
235474274c3ad6489ab.jpg

Thermal lances are basically long poles with a grip at the front to hold onto a tube of iron at the business end. Pure oxygen is pumped through the pole down the centre of the iron tube as oxidisers. Once the iron tube is lit by a heat source like oxyacetylene torch, the iron will burn at up to 4400

Reactions: Aze
Ummm...can it hit more than one target? Cuz otherwise it's kinda redundant to give Firebug a melee weapon, IMO.

However, it's a unique idea. I think Firebug needs a close-range weapon and a long-range weapon added. I'm not playing it anymore until they rebalance it...the Flamethrower is boring these days.

Upvote 0
Certainly a neat idea to allow some variation of choice within the Firebug perk.

Presumably it could be waved back n' forth for crowd control, or held on a single-specimen for focused dps.

Of course the final numbers would be up to TWI, but 5 seconds of sustained hurt sounds too low to me, especially with a 5 second reload.

edit: Ok I couldn't resist pointing this out...

YouTube - Flaming Bacon Lance of Death, from Theo Gray's book "Mad Science"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
However it'd work, however it'd be implemented, I like the idea. Firebug's definitely lacking in single target DPS. Though I imagine the progression moreso like Sharpshooter's "M14 = crossbow", instead of Commando's
bullpup < AK-47 < SCAR-H.

As in, the thermal lance'd be a side-grade to the flamethrower.

If that turns out to be the case, could it and the flamethrower be carried all at once? Probably not, since Sharpshooters can't carry both the crossbow and M14. But on that note, I'd see myself switching from the flamethrower to the thermal lance at wave seven (when fleshpounds start appearing in-general) and feel justified.

I'll be damned, I like this idea.

Upvote 0
It's a neat idea, but...

...the Flamethrower provides mid-range damage-over-time against multiple foes.

The Thermal Lance would provide close-range direct damage against a single target.

Really, it doesn't sound like a Firebug weapon from a gameplay perspective. Yes, it's a heat-based tool that could logically be used as a weapon... but it sounds more like a Berserker tool. I'd much rather see something like a napalm thrower that lights terrain on fire - in other words, a fire-based weapon that still adheres to the Firebug's basic strengths and weaknesses. This weapon, sadly, seems to be directly counter to the overall role of a current Firebug.

Upvote 0
I like this idea tons. I think of the FB job more as kill zeds at one site, rather than kill the trash, since other perks do it better. Thinking of the FB as a location killer, this weapon will do the job of stopping the bigger ones that the flamer thrower cannot handle well. I also like the the LAW similarity that the FB or the Zerker could use it well

Upvote 0
Still not sure the Firebug is as useless as most people reckon (Like the Berserker it simply requires a bit more teamwork and some smart play rather than going gung ho), but I have to admit the ability to use a high damage, but single strike, ammo requiring melee weapon gives the firebug a different role, and doesn't make him overpowered.

Like the M14 is better for killing groups while the Crossbow is better for big target, this weapon would have the flamethrower better at killing groups and lance better at killing big targets.

Would be ineterested to see how this one would play ;)

Upvote 0
No. but I got some other ideas...

No. but I got some other ideas...

Not close range, thats not Firebug. No..... I'm thinking a gun with incendiary ammo, a Napalm trap, which sets large amounts of zombies on fire (works like pipebomb), a grenade launcher that sets crowds escaping the blast on fire, and a napalm gun, a kind of heavy-flamthrower.

food for thought

Upvote 0
I can't remember who suggested it, but my favourite idea was napalm gel, that would cost about as much as grenades and behave similarly, but instead of blasting sharpnel it would cover specimens within its blast radius in napalm gel. Once it was ignited it would double or even triple the fire damage that specimen takes (both from the burnout effect and regular spray) as the gel melts through their skin.

Obviously using a grenade like device as the delivery mechanism is open to change, but the core principle is sound, give the firebug a tool that can rapidly deal damage to the big guys, but isn't spammable. That mechanism could probably be fairly expensive too, since from my own experience firebugs spend bugger all money anyway :)

Extinguisher to support the team more was also one I liked, but napalm gel was the one that interested me most.

Upvote 0