• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for free speech, healthy debates and a good laugh. Lately, a lot of threads on these boards have ended up in flamewars. It's unfortunate you get these few, immature people who are just on here to be awkward, childish or just don't have the necessary communication skills to converse.

Also as Zets mentioned earlier, the non English speaking folk can be misinterpreted if their native language isn't English. Which again, can cause problems.

Upvote 0
I'm all for free speech, healthy debates and a good laugh. Lately, a lot of threads on these boards have ended up in flamewars. It's unfortunate you get these few, immature people who are just on here to be awkward, childish or just don't have the necessary communication skills to converse.

Also as Zets mentioned earlier, the non English speaking folk can be misinterpreted if their native language isn't English. Which again, can cause problems.
No such thing as free speech on the internet. Where free speech actually exists, it gets all misty in contempt, bigotry and ego

Upvote 0
Nemo, your posts are being removed because your making the mods grumpy.

@Galslacht i that can be very true (and your post is so concise and strong it make me love you immediately), but i would suggest one revision. Harshly moderated boards and not the best boards, but they are the most comfortable for a limited percentage of the populace with thin hides. I mean that completely objectively.

To the Admins and mods i would suggest the following:

My individual concern is not the degree of how boards are moderated, its how. For instance, for whatever reason the mod team work more like bureaucratic employees. I feel like if they didn't just take the easy path and issue warnings then yes, this would be a better board.

If the mod team took opritunities to pm posters, tell them how one might precieve thier post (you wouldn't believe how often people are clueless about what they have written) and give them the chance to change it, then it creates a much more positive atmosphere and people are more willing to adhere to the guildlines because they feel respected byt the staff.

I have put this in practice both as a mod on a forum and as an administrator in a retail business. The only downside: it take a bit of effort and patience. The plus side is when push came to shove i had no issues with of the trouble makers on the forum.

Handing out warnings is more of a Wal-mart policy. And i loathe Wal-mart. :)

Upvote 0
After being part of more forum/gaming communities than I care to remember....

Your ability to moderate is directly proportional to a) the size of the user base and b) their attitude. Well thought-out, reasoned 'warnings' to users trying to explain where they are running afoul of the admins works in smaller communities. Like, really small. Random page-visitor doesn't really care what the moderation team thinks. And mods get tired of putting in the effort to rehabilitate posters when it's got to be done with a new person every week.

It's even worse on game boards where population can spike dramatically, bringing in lots of new people who rub regulars the wrong way. They're the natural habitat of the Troll, too. Gamers also tend to get heavily invested in their opinions.

Nazi-like moderation, in the end, has usually turned out the best results. You don't let the forum define the culture of your board, you define it, and they either follow suit or get out. Eventually the forum starts moderating itself. I say this having been posting and doing quasi-moderation on another board for almost a decade now, where theromnuclear flamefests over politics happened just about once every other week. Now that the word is out, we don't discuss politics anymore. But no one also has to get disciplined, either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After being part of more forum/gaming communities than I care to remember....

Your ability to moderate is directly proportional to a) the size of the user base and b) their attitude. Well thought-out, reasoned 'warnings' to users trying to explain where they are running afoul of the admins works in smaller communities. Like, really small. Random page-visitor doesn't really care what the moderation team thinks. And mods get tired of putting in the effort to rehabilitate posters when it's got to be done with a new person every week.

It's even worse on game boards where population can spike dramatically, bringing in lots of new people who rub regulars the wrong way. They're the natural habitat of the Troll, too. Gamers also tend to get heavily invested in their opinions.

Nazi-like moderation, in the end, has usually turned out the best results. You don't let the forum define the culture of your board, you define it, and they either follow suit or get out. Eventually the forum starts moderating itself. I say this having been posting and doing quasi-moderation on another board for almost a decade now, where theromnuclear flamefests over politics happened just about once every other week. Now that the word is out, we don't discuss politics anymore. But no one also has to get disciplined, either.

Lack of moderation tends to result in the Steam forums, where people will constantly push the limits of what they can do just because they know nothing serious will happen.

IMO, the real problem right now is that nothing NEW is popping up for people to chew over. And I don't just mean from TWI. I mean from modders. Very few new maps, weapons, and mods have been popping up since DA2 released (And promptly fell right off the map, apparently). Thus people focus on the games existing content.

This results in the same suggestions, the same complaints, and the same "New, awesome idea!" being posted again, again, and again. It's frustrating to long-time forum users to see the same stuff...and frustrating for newbies to be told "They've already discussed this." or "No, and here is why not..." with almost everything they post. Trolls, however, see opportunity in situations like that. Thus we run into problems.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure the "new" has much to do with it. The "New" is what spawned 4,000 SS threads, 3,000 berzerker threads, and 2,500 firebug threads. Opinions and emotions have been running pretty high ever since the patch, especially when every 5th post is "Well maybe you need to L2P."

KF has just reached that point where its fanbase where is no longer a tight-knit, smaller little community, and you can't count on community mores to regulate behavior.

And, at least from what I've seen, the elitism runs fairly high in KF given that it's a non-competitive game. And that never plays out well in the forums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ever bothered reading the Steam forums?

If not, basically for every reasonable and civil post there's 50 "CRY SOME MOAR\L2P NOOB\[insert some other useless stuff here]" posts.

It's kind of astonishing, because it's not only tolerated there, it's expected. Even the mods get in on it!

I watched a new user post a topic saying, respectfully "I keep getting killed by Snipers on Hydro. What are some tactics I can use to avoid them or get them back without being a sniper?" The responses consisted entirely of:

"CRY SOME MORE/L2P/QQ/ALT+F4/LRN2SNIPE/ECT". A terrible community. Not surprising when you consider that TF2, Portal, and GMOD drew in a large portion of the 4chan userbase...

It's not usually as bad on the KF Steam Forum, luckily.

Upvote 0
It's kind of astonishing, because it's not only tolerated there, it's expected. Even the mods get in on it!

I watched a new user post a topic saying, respectfully "I keep getting killed by Snipers on Hydro. What are some tactics I can use to avoid them or get them back without being a sniper?" The responses consisted entirely of:

"CRY SOME MORE/L2P/QQ/ALT+F4/LRN2SNIPE/ECT". A terrible community. Not surprising when you consider that TF2, Portal, and GMOD drew in a large portion of the 4chan userbase...

It's not usually as bad on the KF Steam Forum, luckily.

The 4chan userbase isn't nesicerily all trolls. I know many 4chan users that are actually respectful kind people. The GMOD forums weren't too bad last time I was there, and pretty much everyone there were 4channers. I think the real problem is the younger kids that TF2 pulled in. In my experience, younger kids are a much bigger hassle then the older people who just troll every once in a while for fun.

When complaining about trolls though, who on this forum can say that they have NEVER trolled someone. What is the saying? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying trolls are good or acceptable, but everyone should remember that they do it too.

mamoo said:
btw, what does L2P mean?

it means learn to play. it basicly just means "you're doing it wrong"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This is a problem on just about every forum i've ever been to, and there isn't really too much of a way to change stupid. Ignore them and just talk to people who matter like good modders/mappers or teamplayers.

Just a tip for the problem crowd, if you spent less time torturing forum users, and more time killing zeds, you would more than likely die a lot less and stop losing that nice shiny gun you can rarely afford.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.