• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO community pulse.....

I just hate the lack of North American players and servers.

I get decent ping on some Euro servers, but I rarely have the time to play during the day.

Also, European players all speak different languages and there is very little communications going on (VOIP or text). Sometimes it seems like players are divided into small linguistic cliques that ignore everybody else on the server.

Upvote 0
BuzzCut said:
You get out of the rythm and your skills atrophy then you get mercilessly owned, respawn, march, owned, respawn.
Good point, BuzzCut. I've played off and on for a couple of years, and I know that is true.

But more importantly, it makes it really tough for new players to get involved. The success of RO relies on the player feeling a strong sense of immersion. Imagine you are curious about RO and fire it up for the first time: Okay here we go!......owned.....march.....march....owned......wtf?.......owned....I haven't even seen anyone yet!.....owned....owned. F that! Good thing this was a free weekend.

In other words, it is very difficult for a new player to become immersed in the game because their game consists almost entirely of waiting to respawn. Two of my friends tried RO and gave up out of frustration, never really playing the game the way I see it - the "real" RO.

Maybe it would help if someone ran a server advertised as Newbies Only. Or at the very least have an easier and more functional way for new players to spectate a match.

Upvote 0
The next time Tripwire wants to run a free trial to market your game, open up five or six Tripwire servers, arrange for Tripwire employees to admin them, and make the free trial only work on those servers.

The trial players won't ruin the game for existing customers, and it will be extra incentive for trial players to purchase. From time to time those of us who bought the game will even drop in to those servers and play, and help out the trial players.

Upvote 0
Well Danzig certainly gets bashed more than it deserves I think... I mean, it IS a fun map, just overplayed and it gets old.

There are definitely plenty of good 50 and 32 player NA servers but they're hardly ever full (or even half full), and most people (myself included) don't feel like waiting around in a near empty server till enough people join.

Fivetiger definitely makes a good point.

The game is VERY difficult when you start, it's hard to even spot anybody (let alone shoot them). A newbie server would mean that everyone is more on the same level, so there wouldn't be any excessive ownage and it wouldn't scare the newbies off (which, we DON'T want, we need more players in this game!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NoxNoctum said:
Fivetiger definitely makes a good point....The game is VERY difficult when you start
Yeah, and I think it's also important to point out that it isn't just that the game is difficult for beginners, but especially that beginners aren't getting a chance to see how immersive the game is when you actually play on even ground.

If it was simply a matter of difficulty, I would say fine...lazy immature players need not apply anyway. However, I think we might be losing some new mature players who are willing to learn, but who come out of their first several games with a poor experience of RO and decide (incorrectly) that it isn't their cup of tea.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Only thing that bothers me somehow is that more and more ppl tend play the well known infantry maps pure deathmatch.

Aka: Danzig -> 10 minutes rush to command -> let the reinforcements bleed. Same for Kessel, Krasnyi a.o. I mean c'mon, LangerMarkt is really beautiful, why does everyone want to die in bloody command? :)

Besides,

/*minor troll*
i noticed this usually happens with a lot of clan players/ vets on the servers, without them i experienced some really intersting fights on those maps. Whassup with our vets? Are they getting bored of this game already? :)

Also... :D the fanboyz...something which has really annoyed me since the mod, is the fanboyism, here. Fanboyism could be described as:

- realism fanboyism
- TWI-worshipping-fanboyism
- history-buff-fanboyism
- Steam-fanboyism
- lets-not-be-critical-for-gawds-sake-fanboyism
- too much isms? Ok, i'll stop now :D
/end *minor troll*

Apart from that, i still believe this community is one of the most civilized i have yet seen in online gaming. And that even with having in mind that quite a lot of ppl joined over here from CS:S via Steam... !respect :D.
The whole modding support/ content creation/ knowledge exchange is awesome, as well as the sometimes interesting posts in the other sections.

Nay, nay...one year ago i wouldn't have imagined that i'd still stick to this game & community right now (and wasting my time in reading these bloody boards..playing this bloody game...gimme back my time! :D), but well...somehow RO caught me years ago and didn't left me once.

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only thing that bothers me...

not the fact that the steam community thing smashed Linux compatibility? (or so says Case)

Also, many vets I know don't play in public servers for the simple fact that organized teamplay is very bland. there's little if any help in those 24/7 Danzig servers...and someone said that it turns into a deathmatch...for this very reason.

Upvote 0
it is good to have some refreshing during long term playing or anything you do Rak. While running clan in RO, I played TrackMania Nations very much just for myself, in fact much more than RO (if I compare hours ingame)... I played only clanwars / friendlies games in RO and rest was only TMn... now I refreshed energy and I am back in RO-bussiness... also we had holiday break, when we have had almost no war for month and half, that helps a lot. But it is true that I stay with RO mainly because of our team. In other words good team+RO = perfect combination. RO is great team game.

Upvote 0
I hardly can stand public play, and often cant be even bothered to try to get a team to play together. I've played this game for quite a while and public play for me was killed together with the teamplay at the mod release of 3.0 with the new one man can cap it all capsystem.

Sometimes i still try to get a real game going and i'll use my mic to try to get a team to work together. Although it often succeeds it just takes too much energy getting me tired in no time and leaving the game again. So alot of the time i just join a server and start playing some deathmatch, there is no value in winning anyway, if it doesn't feel like 2 teams are even remotely trying to win. its more like 90% is playing deathmatch and then 2 or 3 guys cap all zones.

I for one would love newish gamemodes, even search and destroy types with just a few lives. (not 1 life because that wouldn't work in most current map). ability to use the old capsystem and other things.

I still love ro, but i'm just worn out with the public play.

Upvote 0
(Come to think of it, if danzig is so popular, phaps we need a few smaller, but very polished, inf only customs, most mappers seem to make CA now.)

Yes I wish more mappers would try to make a more 'classic' RO map. I would take another wack at making an urban map now that I can use the editor. The only problem is urban maps are not easy to make compared to combined arms, and if it doesnt play well you end up wasting a fair amount of time. I'll probably attempt another one soon so if anyone wants to collaberate on such a thing send me a pm.

Upvote 0
Did any of you played 24/7 danzig lately? Coz in both servers there IS teamwork, maybe not all the time, maybe because I work (and hence play) odd hours, but Ive had some of the best team-working there.
All it takes is 1-3 guys with good mic, clear diction, nice voice, nice attidute+ your willingness to co-operate and voila!- you have tw.

Its funny cos I heard more voip on those slandered servers than any of the top rated ones.

Upvote 0
I hardly can stand public play, and often cant be even bothered to try to get a team to play together. I've played this game for quite a while and public play for me was killed together with the teamplay at the mod release of 3.0 with the new one man can cap it all capsystem.

Sometimes i still try to get a real game going and i'll use my mic to try to get a team to work together. Although it often succeeds it just takes too much energy getting me tired in no time and leaving the game again. So alot of the time i just join a server and start playing some deathmatch, there is no value in winning anyway, if it doesn't feel like 2 teams are even remotely trying to win. its more like 90% is playing deathmatch and then 2 or 3 guys cap all zones.
I hope that regular public player do not see this as a clan-elitism as usualy they like to see us clan-players :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hi,

@Putz:
not the fact that the steam community thing smashed Linux compatibility? (or so says Case)
Hm, in what way has steam community smashed linux compability?
Valve indeed has... and it still pisses me off :(. Btw, that u mention Case... dude, i miss so many cool guys, here (Case, isoflux/ randgrith, Glazer a.o... all left this 2 years ago after the Steam announcement). But hey, don't wake sleeping dogs ;).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
hi folks. :)

imho I would love it if RO has a basic training programme, something akin to America's Army or Company of Heroes. It would take a lot of time off improving current features if it were to be made, but a polished introduction to the game would make this game so much more friendly.

An idea that came to me would be modelling Axis and Allies training differently. The styles would be different but the syllabus would be the same. For example, the Axis training could be boot camp, something like AA (that was how the Wehrmacht was, after all - a professional army which loved orderliness). The Allies training could take place in a quiet corner of the Eastern Front (which was how Zhukov trained raw divisions when the soviets were finally starting to fight back, I think).

Also re 24/7 Danzig - I'm glad that these servers exist, because Danzig is after all a very sweetly-made "Instant Action" map. The moment you're out of the spawn, you're ready to roll, the bullets are flying, the enemy is shooting and the motherland is calling. That's what I love about Danzig - even if there's no teamwork, everyone is killable with that gun in your hands. Nice bit of stress relief after a long day. :) I find 32 player servers work best - 50 is just ridiculous for Danzig. But 50 players, as has been said before, works very well for huge maps which one can easily get lost in (eg Leningrad, Lazur).

I do notice that lots of good servers with good rotations are ignored though. That's a real shame. Could this be improved with a comprehensive training campaign walking newbies thru certain maps?

(one note to server admins: if you run a 50 player server, please please please take Lyes Krovy out.)

Upvote 0