• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New Custom Tank Map

Good Map. Is it compatible with AB?

Good Map. Is it compatible with AB?

I played on this map for a while this evening. It's a well designed map with good play possibilities. It's nice to see a map with mid-war tanks, too.

I did wonder if it would be possible for a server to run this map using the Armored Beasts Mod. As someone who plays mainly tank, I find the AB mod much more realistic as well as offering more interesting tactical play. (You don't spend all your time trying to get the perfect. invincible "angle".) The AB mod would really complement this fine map.

War_and_Peace

Upvote 0
One of the things I would be very interested in hearing about is players comments on play balance for the map. I've been playing Maslova on the 7GTK Server. I have played completely through the map 12 times. Of those 12 times the Russian side has only won once. I think perhaps the map overly favors the German side, but I would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions about play balance.

There are still some things that need tweaking and optimizing. I'm putting togeather some edits for 7GTK and will make the rom file available to whomever wants to play it when I complete these. The edited map will be completed in a day or two.

Thanks again guys for your comments. Very encouraging to actually get to see the map played online after spending so much time learning the editor and experimenting with things. :) Again I have to thank the original map designer folks with Tripwire. I borrowed a number of their BSPs -- buildings -- and modified them. And all the Tripwire artists that put togeather the various static meshes and textures used on the map. Also thanks to 7GTK guys for giving the thing a whirl.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wouldnt be possible, well possible yes, a lot of work, and the T26 wouldnt be fun at all without the changes to the tank combat that come with CC. Basically each shot from any tank would be a kill.

Would be way more interesting to pimp the stock tanks up to the CC features.

In case you arent aware of the changes, here a piece of the release list:
- Removed the view shaking for the tank MGs.
- Armor values depending on lower armor, upper armor and turret.
- Crew can be killed from penetrating shells.
- Tanks don't start to burn on overall damage.
- Engine hits can cause the engine to start burning.
- The possibility to switch off the engine of the CC tanks.
- Where applicable: the turret rotation speed is slowed down in case the engine is switched off. This is not relevant for the CC tanks.
- Fire from the engine can spread to other areas in the tank like the driver compartment. The sequence and speed are specified per tank.
- Switching the engine off reduces the possibility that the fire spreads.
- The main gun sights can be shattered when a shell hits the relevant area.
- Tanks trigger an event defined in the VehicleFactory when destroyed (usable for mappers).

Also, base code for turret jamming and disabling the maingun (elevation and/or firing) is also in afair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One of the things I would be very interested in hearing about is players comments on play balance for the map.

I played 3 times: 2 like axis quite easy to win, 1 like russian my side achieve a more difficult victory; ( I used mainly P3 and BT7)
then i think axis have a little advantage

It would be nice to get Amizaur interested in the game again. I love the SB mod and would like to see any new tanks adopted to SB as well as the standard RO system.

I agree :)

Upvote 0
Found another boo-boo on the Maslova Map. I left a Russian spawn node out in the middle of no where. A reminant from some of the map experimenting I was doing some time ago.

I added a building at the rather stark Hill 202 objective.

I also fixed a few of the floating trees I came across.

In addition, I removed over one hundred tree meshes in hopes of getting better online performance.

I also added a number of antiportals under hill areas and ridges in hopes of getting alittle better performance out of the map.

Anyone interested can find the new map file at the following Rapidshare Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/154796702/RO-Maslova_1943b.zip.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok...thanks Moe.

It would be nice to get Amizaur interested in the game again. I love the SB mod and would like to see any new tanks adopted to SB as well as the standard RO system.

AB mod...

Unless off course Jeff is actually refering to that somewhat lesser known 'Sexy Beasts' mutator.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ricky.

Any feel for play balance on the Maslova map? Does it feel like the Germans win too easily and too consistently?

I thought "beta a" played pretty evenly. The cap zones were moving back and fore quite a few times. I can't actually remember now who ended up winning, but it didn't feel like one side was any stronger than the other. It is a new map as well, so people wont be familiar with the little nuances of it yet.

I enjoyed it immensely though. I was watching the pings, with 32 players on, and the map didnt cause any lagging grief for the server. I also never heard any mention of anyone having lag related problems, so the optimisation must have been pretty good.

I have uploaded beta b now so will try it later to see how it performs.

Upvote 0