• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [XMAS]KF-Wiehnachtsmarkt (Pre-release)

LoneGreeble

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2014
Pre-release screenshots of my heavily work in progress christmas map, KF-Weihnachtsmarkt (which is German for "christmas market". You should Google it to get a better idea of what i'm creating.)
I still have to create a ton of custom models, decorate more of the buildings to look authentically German, and then finally add zombie spawns and paths. After that's all done, I'm releasing the beta, which I am aiming to be on December 1st. I'll use this thread to post all updates as well as answer any questions and gather ideas. I accept all criticism and recommendations, as long as it helps me improve the quality of the map.

Spoiler!

Note: Even though I am including a lot of custom content, I am also very careful about optimizing this map, I will do everything I can to keep the map looking good,playing good, and under 80mb. So no need to worry about that. And lastly, even though there isn't any visible in the screenshots, trust me, there is snow falling in the map. and it looks gorgeous.

Last edited:
If you don't finish this map I will hunt you down...:IS2:

noted. :eek:

Update: Currently working on one of these things:
Spoiler!

It's called a Weihnachtspyramide (Christmas pyramid) and is the German equivalent of a Christmas tree, although they have Christmas trees as well, so i'm not entirely sure what it's for. Looks cool though. Especially with all lit up at night. And the centerpiece connected to the fans with the wooden angels, sheep and shepherds will rotate independently from the frame. I think it might be cool.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
noted. :eek:

Update: Currently working on one of these things:
Spoiler!

It's called a Weihnachtspyramide (Christmas pyramid) and is the German equivalent of a Christmas tree, although they have Christmas trees as well, so i'm not entirely sure what it's for. Looks cool though. Especially with all lit up at night. And the centerpiece connected to the fans with the wooden angels, sheep and shepherds will rotate independently from the frame. I think it might be cool.
What do you guys think?

I think that if you don't finish it in time for christmas,we will all hunt you down Grrrrrrrr:IS2::cool:

Upvote 0
I think that if you don't finish it in time for christmas,we will all hunt you down Grrrrrrrr:IS2::cool:

I'll do my best man, And I think you guys should know, a map like this would normally take me about 3 months, with custom models and all. But i started this in mid November, and have been working on it non-stop, only taking breaks to eat, sleep, and play killing floor. So, I really am trying to get it out on time. I think if I keep this up, i can do it...and yeah...I could do this again.

Upvote 0
You can just borrow some stuff from other maps to save you time, we won't judge your for that, that's if you want to shrink the time spending on this map.
That "tree" looks like it would be one of Leonardo da Vinci's flying machines. I think it looks great and seeing it modeled, and as a center piece is amazing.

Maybe you should see if TWI would add this map in the next (Xmas) update :)

Upvote 0
You can just borrow some stuff from other maps to save you time, we won't judge your for that, that's if you want to shrink the time spending on this map.
That "tree" looks like it would be one of Leonardo da Vinci's flying machines. I think it looks great and seeing it modeled, and as a center piece is amazing.

Maybe you should see if TWI would add this map in the next (Xmas) update :)

Thanks, man. And trust me, there's a lot of corners i'm cutting to save time. I'm only making models of things that I can't just get from the game, so I will be using some of the default models and textures along with my own. I'm glad you like the way the pyramid tree looks, I can post screenshots of it in-game later when its actually textured and such.

Upvote 0
Don't over do yourself. I know it's a christmas map but don't force yourself to finish it asap. I'd rather a up to 3 month late map that is so well made then a rushed map that is full of bugs and breaks with the mapper too exhausted to keep himself going.

I'm testing it for bugs pretty regularly, but I dont think i'll be too exausted to finish it or fix it if there's any bugs i missed. I appreciate your concern, however I knew what I was getting into when I started lol.

Update:
Spoiler!

I've finished the pyramid model, unrwapped the uv's and got it in game (still no texture) but that won't take me too long. The hard part is done and over with.
And yes, the fan rotates (along with the little people and sheep). That was the easiest part of this model.
I kept it as low poly as i could while still looking relatively good. It'll look a whole lot better with a texture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoiler!

This probably confused a lot of people. But it's a joke. I found the new model of tripwire's logo in thrills and chills, and was wondering how i could use it in my map.
Anyway, to really answer your question, Broski, I don't have much to show for an update yet, because i'm redesigning the map. The new thrills and chills map was too similar so i'm changing it. It may take me a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoiler!

This probably confused a lot of people. But it's a joke. I found the new model of tripwire's logo in thrills and chills, and was wondering how i could use it in my map.
Anyway, to really answer your question, Broski, I don't have much to show for an update yet, because i'm redesigning the map. The new thrills and chills map was too similar so i'm changing it. It may take me a while.
Glad you aren't canning the map. Honestly I think that they are very different. Just from what we've seen of your map it seems to be a different atmosphere than thrills chills. And yes I know how you feel. I was working on a boardwalk map when the Steam land update came out two months later.... Never finished that map, mainly because of bsp holes that I couldn't figure out. Never could find anyone to help me finish it but oh well. Keep us posted on your map!

Upvote 0
Glad you aren't canning the map. Honestly I think that they are very different. Just from what we've seen of your map it seems to be a different atmosphere than thrills chills. And yes I know how you feel. I was working on a boardwalk map when the Steam land update came out two months later.... Never finished that map, mainly because of bsp holes that I couldn't figure out. Never could find anyone to help me finish it but oh well. Keep us posted on your map!

A friend actually told me some really nifty info on preventing bsp holes. A good way to prevent errors in your map (including holes, lighting issues, etc) is to use brush sizes with powers of 2. like a 32 by 124 by 64 room or an 8 by 16 by 32 cut for a window etc. It's sometimes stressful to constrain yourself to these proportions, but I've found it makes your map a lot cleaner and readable. An easy way to do this is to use larger grids, like a 32 grid just for blocking out your map. Thank Chael Sonnen.

Upvote 0