• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Are You Ready To Beta?

This is getting ridiculous... Stats are fine, if you feel bad about how badly you performed just try to learn and get better at the game!

this response kind of proves the point I was trying to make.. which was that some people get competitive and hostile towards players they think aren't very good..

Also in case you missed it, my suggestion wasn't to get rid of stats, it was to A) allow individual players to hide stats from themselves that they don't care about, and B) to give server-hosts the option to disable stat-tracking.

Upvote 0
That's not entirely accurate actually, as with anything there were infact varying grades of quality in European bladed weapons, particularly things like the Long Sword. The big difference was the sheer number of troops equipped with such weapons, where as only noblemen could use them in japan, in Europe every soldier had blades, meaning the demand and distribution required was so high that a multi year process for one sword was in-viable. Additionally, if you look at the uses of them, long swords were used mostly for duels against other people in full plate armor as opposed to slicing through lightly armored foes. While they both fit into the category of swords, they have completely different primary functions, the Katana was made to kill as a primary, the long-sword was created to duel as a primary.

Additionally Berserkers were classified as 'elite' status warriors, able to take down dozens of men alone, with a weapon that was designed to be a joke but turned into an effective killing device (aka the Clay-more) and the German Zweihander wasn't made for killing men, it was made for killing horses that had troops mounted on them.

History, read up on it.

That aside, looking forward to getting my firebug back, I do love me some bbq

-Edit-
Also just looked at the model for the sword, it's not a true zweihander but rather a flamberge, the waviness of the blade gives it away and it was designed like that so that if some one parried the blade it would send unpleasant vibrations through their arm, causing additional fatigue.

I was actually making fun of the Japanophile attitude to idolize Katanas and dismiss European blades as fancy-looking clubs, but nice history lesson regardless.

Upvote 0
I was actually making fun of the Japanophile attitude to idolize Katanas and dismiss European blades as fancy-looking clubs, but nice history lesson regardless.

Yarp, in all honesty I didn't know the /s was sarcasm, just assumed a trollpost, but yeah, Katana use is actually all about stance, and if we go into martial arts with weapons....Cherokee/Comanche Tomahawk melee stances are the most deadly, every single strike is a near instant kill should it connect....katana slashes....people would die from blood loss, and have time to retaliate.

Upvote 0
Yarp, in all honesty I didn't know the /s was sarcasm, just assumed a trollpost, but yeah, Katana use is actually all about stance, and if we go into martial arts with weapons....Cherokee/Comanche Tomahawk melee stances are the most deadly, every single strike is a near instant kill should it connect....katana slashes....people would die from blood loss, and have time to retaliate.
Well, yeah, but a vicious slash on the right artery would leave you unable to retaliate due to the muscle damage and intense pain. While I am no Japanophile, a Katana is the best in the field if you need to cut through soft tissue.

Which is why it was hardly useful in the battlefield since most Samurai used armor.

Upvote 0
Well, yeah, but a vicious slash on the right artery would leave you unable to retaliate due to the muscle damage and intense pain. While I am no Japanophile, a Katana is the best in the field if you need to cut through soft tissue.

Which is why it was hardly useful in the battlefield since most Samurai used armor.

Well, if you look, Samurai armor usually had a number of soft spots, and the majority of infantry they dealt with wore light/soft armor made of leather or silk.

Also, since the Zweihander isn't an actual Zweihander but actually a Flamberge it'd be nice for the name to change and a real Zweihander get added in, prob as a Teir 3, and not a bonus thing, but rather, high damage, slow attack speed, but staggers/knocks down per hit, due to it's sheer weight. It'd make it viable and more versatile

Upvote 0
Heh.. if we were operating under full historical realism and not the rule of cool, the katana would be pretty useless against any zed with metal components; you'd have it chipped up or even broken by the end of each wave and need to replace it, unless you were making very deliberate cuts at only the soft-tissue sections. That's what happens when you craft a weapon to be as rigid, sharp, and lightweight as possible... it becomes brittle against surfaces as hard as it is.

But having to sharpen/repair/replace melee weapons would be very boring in a video-game, so I for one am okay with the rule of cool. :p

Big sturdy european swords, on the other hand? They break things. Regardless of how big or tough or hard the things are, Fantasy or Reality, they break things very effectively. I can't wait to smash and or chop off some FP skulls. :D

Upvote 0
Well, they said "early next week", which should be today or tomorrow. (At least I think "early" equals "first half")
except for that TWI has a relugar work week (5 days) and that early doesn't equal mid. so it has to be today, or everyone is gonna be even more and more pissed.

edit: not gonna lie, for this update taking FOR-FRICKING-EVER and then TWI already introducing crossover (paid promotional content) is making me slightly disappointed. I just hope they'll get their sh*t together.

P.S. Good will doesn't pay, but a bad image and shoddy practices hurt you in the long run...

Last edited:
Upvote 0