• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would R02 work as a Free to Play game?

Bane5

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2012
Seeing the gigantic player count these last few days, pushing the record to new heights :IS2:, I can't help but wonder if the state of the game would be better off if RO2 was free to play permanently.

Free for the base game only that is. Expansions like Rising Storm would still cost money, but by making the game f2p, a lot of push-pull through demand for extra content would drive sales.

Many of the bad behaviors that people dread about a f2p community haven't to come to pass during this weekend. All throughout the game, in many servers I see nothing but people happily playing, excited, communicating, and working together, but mostly importantly--enjoying the game. The existing community and the policing from server owners keeps things clean.

Though only the devs know how successful their free 24 hours strategy worked, I think the playerbase and the developers could benefit. More players = more people to play with, more custom maps, more modders, and more obscure game modes/settings being played, etc; and more players = more expansion sales and more incentive to create patches and content. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
How about just keeping it cheap to encourage more players? Free to play can be a nightmare. Griefers, team killers, hackers and bigots love a good F2P to troll in.

It is certainly a downside, but I think that the occasional troll is a small price to pay for all the benefits that having a large playerbase could bring.

So long as servers have good admins, the effects are minimal. Communities tend to form around specific servers anyways as I see the same people on the same servers all the time despite the wide range of choices.

Upvote 0
:D

C'mon guys. TWI has already bled themselves white by making it free for 24 hours. Any economics majors out there? Helloooo! Be grateful for what was thrown onto the plate. The game will sell hold it's own in the market because of the quality. Those that didn't get it while it was flying out the door free will just have to buy it. :D

Upvote 0
Also, in case you didn't notice, it's cheap as dirt right now for the quality you get. I for one stocked up on a few copies at $5 each to give away. Everytime it goes on 75% off I do this. Then when I meet steam friends who I think would maybe dig it, I give it to them. If my friends like it, great... if not, still better than not doing it, I'll never miss the fiver. They can buy the upgrades themselves.

Upvote 0
Also, in case you didn't notice, it's cheap as dirt right now for the quality you get. I for one stocked up on a few copies at $5 each to give away. Everytime it goes on 75% off I do this. Then when I meet steam friends who I think would maybe dig it, I give it to them. If my friends like it, great... if not, still better than not doing it, I'll never miss the fiver. They can buy the upgrades themselves.
You my friend, are a good friend lol.

Upvote 0
:D

C'mon guys. TWI has already bled themselves white by making it free for 24 hours. Any economics majors out there? Helloooo! Be grateful for what was thrown onto the plate. The game will sell hold it's own in the market because of the quality. Those that didn't get it while it was flying out the door free will just have to buy it. :D

One thing is they sold more of it than any of their other games even at full price. They've already recouped their money for it and then some. Their 24 hour free brought probably all there was to bring. Now to get the Rising Storm it made perfect sense to have it at 4.99 as they do now. They will sell hundreds of thousands of copies at that price now that people are getting the taste for the game. So as far as economics are concerned all in all I think this was one of the best moves they've ever made. I think their wallets are going to prove that as well.

The new patch, the giving away free RO2 24 hour, then free weekend but with 75% off of Rising Storm - someone really did their homework and it's really going to pay off well for everyone and hopefully more so for the community and all of those once empty servers.

Congrats Tripwire. Keep the content coming and the fixes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh, I've had quite a few new people deliberately kill me these past few days just for the lulz. I'll see them running around out of the corner of my eye, get bored, stop, bring their rifle up, and just shoot me straight in the face. I've also been teamkilled for suggesting a newbie squad leader use more smoke. :( Obviously it's not game breaking but I've never been deliberately killed in the months prior to this week. Hence I'm not keen on the potential damage a f2p crowd cause, as well as the fact that there'd have to be hundreds of microtransactions to sell and in a game that's dedicated to authentic, realistic combat it would be pretty impossible to achieve.

Upvote 0
Seeing the gigantic player count these last few days, pushing the record to new heights :IS2:, I can't help but wonder if the state of the game would be better off if RO2 was free to play permanently.

Free for the base game only that is. Expansions like Rising Storm would still cost money, but by making the game f2p, a lot of push-pull through demand for extra content would drive sales.

Many of the bad behaviors that people dread about a f2p community haven't to come to pass during this weekend. All throughout the game, in many servers I see nothing but people happily playing, excited, communicating, and working together, but mostly importantly--enjoying the game. The existing community and the policing from server owners keeps things clean.

Though only the devs know how successful their free 24 hours strategy worked, I think the playerbase and the developers could benefit. More players = more people to play with, more custom maps, more modders, and more obscure game modes/settings being played, etc; and more players = more expansion sales and more incentive to create patches and content. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Thoughts?

No, no no just no.

**** You : The Running Man - YouTube

Upvote 0
Hi Bane5,

RedOrchestra 2 should never become free-to-play since it is unfair to everyone, who purchased it (if there will be some micro transactions, players may need to spend money on upgrades after they already spend money on the game).

The only option to have something you mention is to have another game with well balanced, professionally designed free-to-play content.
I don't think there are anyone in tripwire interactive who is able to do this.

If you want to join discussion about possible free-to-play game from tripwire interactive please join discussion on http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=96548

Upvote 0
Hi Bane5,

RedOrchestra 2 should never become free-to-play since it is unfair to everyone, who purchased it....

I purchased Team Fortress 2 and it's now free. Doesn't phase me much, especially since I haven't played it in a couple of years :p

Just sayin'

If RO2/RS went free (or just RO2) I don't see the big deal... RO2 isn't new anymore and has been out since 2011.

Just make new content paid DLC's (weapons / equipment) and for all of those who bought the game and are upset, maybe toss them a couple more TF2 hats for their troubles. They could sell those in the Steam Marketplace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0